Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 23, 2011
Smallville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Mel Heart, Leeds Utd
Sad scenes at Arco Arena, it is a real kick in the guts that a small market team with a loyal and passionate fanbase gets screwed over by deceitful owners who always had an hidden agenda to move the Kings IMHO ...

There doesn't seem anyway to stop the relocation to Anaheim, unless the other owners veto it, which i doubt.
Also the Royals sounds cack as an nickname

I am sad that the Kings are most likely leaving the only home that I remember them by but I will take exceptions with anyone who says that Maloofs have always wanted to move the Kings.

For 13 years they have stuck around in Sacramento when many other owners would have left long long time ago. Arco was outdated the moment the first brick was layered down. It was build on the very cheap by private funds for some $40 million. In comparison the Palace in Detroit was build the same year for some $80 million and is still one of the best arenas in the game (albeit with some renovations).

I think both parties have to shoulder some responsibility on not getting the arena built in this time but even the previous owner tried negotiating with the city to get the arena build but to no avail. This has been an issue for 15 years now and nothing has been done.

I am hoping that Chris Webber and Kevin Johnson can block this move for at least a season to give Sacramento one final chance. Unlikely but one can hope.

Couple of things are for certain, the NBA is losing one of the most passionate group of fans in the NBA. These are the fans who have 3 of the top 5 longest sell out streaks in the history of the NBA. The fans that were hanging off the rafters even when the teams sucked to the max. Sure the GFC has had a big impact on crowds lately but NO ONE can doubt the passion that the Kings fans have for their team.

The other certain thing is that within 5 years Maloofs will not own this team, it will be owned by Henry Samueli who is playing them like a violin here.

I guess they can draw some positives out of the Sonics -> Thunder situation, that team does have a lot of young talent

Couple of things are for certain, the NBA is losing one of the most passionate group of fans in the NBA. These are the fans who have 3 of the top 5 longest sell out streaks in the history of the NBA. The fans that were hanging off the rafters even when the teams sucked to the max. Sure the GFC has had a big impact on crowds lately but NO ONE can doubt the passion that the Kings fans have for their team.

stiffy,

i cant begin to think about what youre going through. i personally havent had a team relocate (although the tiges almost died).

i wholeheartedly agree that the kings are in the top few in terms of rabid fans. you are correct in citing that crowd numbers have dropped in recent times....maybe a combo of the geelong football club (gfc) and not winning as much. it happens.

i can only leave you with these words:

"its a tragedy for me to see, a dream is over. and i never will forget the day we met, girl* im gonna miss you"

* kings.

Farewell Arco Arena.

If nothing else i'll always remember when part of me died in that 2002 series against the Lakers. Watching the bullshit that occured in that arena was sickeneing.

why bring up memories that hurt kings fans? cuts like a knife.

we're here to remember the great sac kings moments.

cimg2450-1.jpg

Very sad indeed.

Not easy when you lose a club you support dearly (was an old Nth Melb Giants fan so speak from experience).

Sad to see the Kings go, but exciting to see what's going to happen with this new team and brand
Its not really a new brand! They will just use the same name that they had since inception and before they moved to Kansas Kings!

Anaheim Royals is fine I guess but doesn't have the same ring as Sacramento Kings!

I might be in denial but I believe in miracles. Its not over until the fat lady sings! She sure is warming up! :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How I miss their showtime ball.

Great passing team with White Chocolate, C Webb, Divac. LOVE IT!

I miss their lesbian moments a few posts up as well.

Also, they got Stern'd hard v Lakers.

That was the reason? Oh man, that's an interesting decision.

Not sure if that was the only reason. His parents and brother and his family still leave in Sacramento. His brother has had issues with kidney for a decade now so there might be more to it but HUGE props to Peja for showing up at what could be a last game in Sacramento anyway!

Amazing development according to Steve Salisbury on twitter, a buyer could purchase the Hornets and relocate them to Sacramento to become the new Kings !!! Be a great move IMHO

Amazing development according to Steve Salisbury on twitter, a buyer could purchase the Hornets and relocate them to Sacramento to become the new Kings !!! Be a great move IMHO
Would be a s**t move IMHO. They can't be THE Kings! They would still be Sacramento Hornets which is not the same.

Instead of having 2 teams move, why not just keep the Kings in Sacramento, build a new arena and introduce a revenue sharing model so that small market teams have a chance.

The best bit of news that I got today was that Maloofs are still unsure about whether they will file or not and are gauging opinions of the other owners.

Southern Californian multi-billionaire Ronald Burkle is prepared to do what it takes to keep the Kings in Sacramento....wanted to buy the majority ownership but Maloofs don't want to sell...now exploring avenues on getting an arena done to keep the Kings in Sacramento.

Owners are nervous about Maloofs finances ($75million owed to Sacramento, $75million owed to NBA and are prepared to take $75million loan from Samueli to move the team to Anaheim...that's $225million debt which is just about the worth of entire team ($295million) and they only own something like 53% of the team. Ridicilous business sense there.

Here is hoping that KJ can convince the BOG to give Sacramento another year and get started on the Arena straight away.

If the Maloofs file (still not a certainty) and BOG approves the move, here is hoping that the relocation fee is more than what the Maloofs can afford. Some sources say that Maloofs are prepared to pay up to $50 million, well lets hope that the relocation fee is set at $100million :D

The Hornets have been losing massive amounts of money for years since moving to NO and crowds are dismal, despite taking into account Katrina. Despite what happens in Sacramento, the league is keen to move them on to another city

The Hornets have been losing massive amounts of money for years since moving to NO and crowds are dismal, despite taking into account Katrina. Despite what happens in Sacramento, the league is keen to move them on to another city
They can move them to Anaheim and leave the Kings in Sacramento. If the Hornets end up moving to Sacramento then they won't be the Kings because you can't have two teams with the same "theme". You can't have Royals and Kings in the NBA!

And if the NBA wants to move the Hornets to Sacramento, then there MUST be a new Arena in place because no move will get approved to Sacramento with ARCO arena as the base. The building has been outdated for a decade and can't be renovated to NBA standards.

Hahaha!!!

Apparently Stern was being a bit of a smart ass and wisecracking when KJ was presenting Sacramento's case until KJ said that they have Ron Burkle, Stern had that dumbfounded look on his face and said "You've got Burkle?!" :D

Stern is a dictator that loves to have powerful people involved in the game and Burkle has larger net worth than Donald Trump! I can see Stern doing some major ass kissing here.

Last night I thought there was no chance that Kings stay in Sacramento but there is at least a glimmer of hope here. Hopefully, the board of governors does not approve the move which puts Maloofs into the corner and hopefully forces them to sell the team to a man that can afford to keep this team in Sacramento where it deserves to stay. Burkle has runs on the board because his Pittsburgh Penguins won the NHL title despite being a small market team.

Fingers crossed this all works out for the Kings and Sacramento.

27y2ybd.jpg

YES! would love the kings to stay!!

but if they do move and kings fans revolt against perhaps the Sac Hornets i would be disappointed. The hornets have been through a shitload including hurricane katrina. although relocating them isnt the best thing for NO, at least they will survive.

but yes, keep all teams where they are please

YES! would love the kings to stay!!

but if they do move and kings fans revolt against perhaps the Sac Hornets i would be disappointed. The hornets have been through a shitload including hurricane katrina. although relocating them isnt the best thing for NO, at least they will survive.

but yes, keep all teams where they are please

Maybe the Kings could play games in Ballarat and Tassie like another team has suggested....wait, what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back