Farina hopeful of better Leeds relationship

you_idiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2002
Bacchus Marsh, VIC
Other Teams
The mighty Geelong Cats!
http://www.dailysoccer.com/article.php?Article=604

AFP-sourced article mentions Socceroos coach Frank Farina's hopes for the future in terms of gaining Mark Viduka and Harry Kewell for internationals now that his predecessor Terry Venables is now the Leeds coach.

Also confirms that Kewell will take part in the July 27 friendly against Chilean side Colo Colo at Colonial.

I still plan on asking Venables about these same matters myself, but we all assumed where Farina stood on the issue, this just confirms it.

Cheers,
William

SeinDude

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2002
Retired
I heard Frank Farina talk about this as well and it will be interesting to see if things change with regards to Leeds making their players available to play for their country.

Mind you, with Leeds not involved in Europe's elite, how long will Kewell and Viduka want to stay there anyway?? ;);)

Cheers!! :cool:
SeinDude

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
All Venables will care about is getting the best results possible for Leeds, if that means not releasing Kewell and Viduka then so be it. I can't believe Farina is so naive as to believe the situation will change.

He should really base himself in europe and play friendlies when the european countries are playing their Euro/WC qualifiers. Only way he will get the players he wants released consistently. I don't know why he rejected the idea.

In all honesty, I think Farina is a very poor coach who shouldn't be in charge of the national team. I reckon he'll be the reason Australia won't be playing in the next WC. Postecoglou (sp??) or Cullina should have been given the job. Would probably have been cheaper too.

you_idiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2002
Bacchus Marsh, VIC
Other Teams
The mighty Geelong Cats!
Originally posted by dogs105
Rumours of possible Brett Emerton move to Leeds. Would it not be easier for the entire Australian squad to try and get signed by Venables? I'm sure Frank could find a nice little house in South Leeds.

Except Farina's already said that it wouldn't be in Soccer Australia's best interests if he base his headquarters in Europe.

And I'm not sure if it's in SA's long-term best interests of Emerton winds up signing with Leeds, either. Leeds can't expand the squad to the extent that Liverpool or Man Utd have theirs, given the financial deficits they have to overcome. And if Farina wants to recall three players-- Emerton, Kewell and Viduka-- something tells me that Venables might have his hands tied and tell Farina, "two out of the lot of three".

And subsequently, that would throw a spanner into Emerton's ambitions as an international footballer as well, IMO.

Cheers,
William

Back