Farmer & Woewodin....do we really want them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Visro

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2000
Well during the week there has been a lot of gossip on these two players being out of contract and potentially heading back west. The question is though, do we really need them? Personally, I would prefer the club to keep the draft picks they would have to use in order to obtain them instead of getting them.

Yes Farmer is a great forward pocket, but we allready have Phil Matera who, despite being not as brilliant is much more consistent and isn't injury prone. Yes, I could see Woewodin being a benefit to our fairly short midfield but he is in his mid-20's now and I would really like to see the club getting younger players. Anyway, they're my thoughts on the two players. The only WA boy I think the club should target at the end of the season is Jon Hay but I dont think we will get him.

Vis

PS Just a question out of interest...if Freo finishs the season 16th and WC 15th, both clubs with less than 5 wins, would the draft picks work like this:

1. Freo
2. WC
3. Freo
4. WC

Good topic! Woewodin might be harder to get than Farmer because he's been given a leadership role and seems to be settled into Melbourne better than Farmer. Although if you throw up the right amount of money, any player would have a serious look at the offer. Both would be good assets to the club - I'd be a little concerned with Farmer and his latest injuries, while Woewodin has had a fantastic run without any injuries (which would be fantastic for us!)

I'm not sure how they work out the draft picks, but I think that the clubs that finish 16th and 15th would get 2 of the top 5 draft picks.

I would love for both of them to come to the Eagles.

Can you imagine our midfield with Woewodin.

Gardiner Rucking, with Cousins, Woewodin and Fletcher/Kerr roving.

IMO - don't worry about Farmer, then again I wouldn't totally discount it depending on what we had to offer.

Woewodin is a fantastic player and realistically most teams would probably jump at the chance to get him. But also IMO I think he is a little overrated. Don't get me wrong he is great player, and he has won a brownlow (made all the better by the fact that he's from WA!), but because of this, I think we'd have to give up too much as a team to secure him and possibly lose out on other options.

Definately don't want Farmer, we already have phil and Merenda.

Don't want Woewodin, too old for our team. Once Kemp and Banfield leave we will have a brand new and young midfield to write their own history. In the 90's we had Roo, Mainy, and kemp running around making history as the best eagles ever, in the 2000's we will have Cousins, Braun and Wirrpunda re-writing history and hopefully displacing that previous trio as the best midfielders to ever play at the club.

I wouldn't want an old player(i'm 17, so everyone over 25 is old :D ) like woewodin in the squad, bringing with him the legacy of the 90's midfielders.

Sorry if this sounds like a load of crap, but i have always been proud of the fact that the eagles had a home-grown(developed) team. And i wasn't too happy when Judgey brought in so many foreigners this year.

when you say home-grown, do you mean, a person who has been an eagle-for his whole AFL career. Or a person who was born and bred in WA, then went to another club.

My opinion, is that a home-grown player, is someone who is from WA, but they don't necessarily have to have gone straight to the eagles. So i still consider Woewodin and Farmer to be homegrown. Others may have a different opiinon.

originalyl i side i would like to have both in our side, but I don't know if Farmer would fit well into our side. But i still wouldn't mind having Woewodin. He is a very good player, and he is 25 this year, so he probably has 6/7 years still in the AFL.

woewodin would be good because he has proven himself and is not injury prone. farmer is proven but seems to be injury prone and i think its time for the eagles to consider that as a major criteria when we recruit anyone.

other wa guys we should look at are brett johnson and luke mcpharlin who are both at hawthorn. i think they're both about 19 years old, in their second year and are just establishing themselves in the hawthorn team.

johnson has had about 25 possessions in the midfield for the last couple of weeks. mcpharlin is a very good mark and seems a good prospect (although he did have a shocker on the weekend against essendon). The advantage of going for guys like these is that they might still be homesick and while they have heaps of potential they are not stars yet so they may come cheaper than woewodin. usually guys who are drafted sign for 2 years so these guys are probably coming out of contract at the end of the year.

headland has said he would return to perth at the end of the year when his contract expires. he hasn't done a lot but then he's never been happy at brisbane so maybe that has affected his footy. the egales will probably have a look at him but i don't think they'd give up much to get him so freo will probably get him in the march draft.

Originally posted by WCE2000
when you say home-grown, do you mean, a person who has been an eagle-for his whole AFL career. Or a person who was born and bred in WA, then went to another club.

My opinion, is that a home-grown player, is someone who is from WA, but they don't necessarily have to have gone straight to the eagles. So i still consider Woewodin and Farmer to be homegrown. Others may have a different opiinon.

originalyl i side i would like to have both in our side, but I don't know if Farmer would fit well into our side. But i still wouldn't mind having Woewodin. He is a very good player, and he is 25 this year, so he probably has 6/7 years still in the AFL.

I was definately refering to players who have been eagles their whole careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back