Farmer

Remove this Banner Ad

Played 17 games in his first year at Richmond, Got injured in his second, Dont see how he will be delisted in his 3rd, Silly.. His a required player I like him too

absolutely 10000000% incorrect

infact

Lazy - His actually hard working despite being put in the side a few weeks earlier than he should have been due to our injuries

Non-Competitive - im not sure your being serious?

People just see blokes make some mistakes and label them duds without actually thinking it through the fact his been on our list 5 mins and has shown something before being injured means his not even in consideration to be delisted

Apart from his kicking which I regard as very good, I don't see any other positive attributes .... this year or last year

To be he seems an average footballer with a long kick...who under pressure misses targets.

But for some reason keeps getting games over the likes of Webberley, White and Nason.

Now I'm not Mitch's biggest fan but surely you can't have Nason and Webberley ahead of him? Both are physically unable to play at the top level. Both get brushed aside, wrapped up and fooled all the time. They may be quick but they are physically weak and therefore unable to break a tackle which is crucial.

Farmer makes his share of blues but at least he can stand up to it physically and kick beautifully. Our list isn't exactly stacked with people that have both those traits.

I wish Nason was more because I like the kid but he is scared every time he gets the ball because he knows that a bloke who weighs 20kg more than him is about to crunch him. Don't blame him - I would be too, but you don't play a bloke because you like him (supposedly).

Rather give his spot to an 18 year old project tall.

How many project talls can we have? Post, Astbury, Vickery, Browne, Derrickx, McGuane :)rolleyes:), Gourdis, Rance....

Surely we have enough talls on the list to develop. Farmer should be a fair role player type in future IMO. Not a star but a worker. Keep for mine.

Now I'm not Mitch's biggest fan but surely you can't have Nason and Webberley ahead of him? Both are physically unable to play at the top level. Both get brushed aside, wrapped up and fooled all the time. They may be quick but they are physically weak and therefore unable to break a tackle which is crucial.

Farmer makes his share of blues but at least he can stand up to it physically and kick beautifully. Our list isn't exactly stacked with people that have both those traits.

I wish Nason was more because I like the kid but he is scared every time he gets the ball because he knows that a bloke who weighs 20kg more than him is about to crunch him. Don't blame him - I would be too, but you don't play a bloke because you like him (supposedly).

I like this post pebble. You've hit a few nails on the head. A lot of people don't want any more skinny runts running around. Farmer has still only played 28 AFL games, so to see him make the odd mistake is hardly surprising.

The only attribute that I may be a little worried about is a lack of pace for his size, which someone else mentioned. But it may not be a big issue for him.

You missed the one in the first quarter where he passed to the swans.......trade for a packet of twisties. (chicken flavoured)

LMAO I think you wouldnt get chicken Tiger, most likely cheese.

Just read his contract expires this season so I doubt he will be on our list next season and doubt we would get anything for him if we tried a trade.

Only thing that concerns me is he is still getting a game, I just hope its because we have told him he is playing for his future and he needs to prove to us he is worth keeping.

Has he been tried through the middle? Despite what's being said, I've found him generally composed and courageous, with a happy knack of doing an important thing at a critical time. Given he lacks half-a-yard and doesn't mind the heavy traffic, I'm wondering if they're not trying to build his motor for clearance work rotations. Just needs to find more of the ball.

The main problem with Farmer is if he's going to make it he would probably needs/needed to make that BP spot his own. Shut down those small forwards that have slaughtered us for so long. This is what he was orginally recruited for unless I'm mistaken. Problem is, he just doesn't have the pace to keep up with any forward with decent pace let alone the zippy, super quick ones. He's very slow.

I just can't see him making it. Was a recruiting/trading mistake IMO. Dea is a much better, more promising prospect to take this role. Where else does he play? Can't see him as a forward or midfielder. You need more than just a big kick. Could be worth a try but reckon it will prove to be futile.

Under no pressure, he's a very good long kick; see Sunday's kick to Nahas as an example.

Under pressure, I panic as much as he does about where the ball will end up. Dea looks a lot more composed and his only played five games.

As a group, Nason, Webberley, and Farmer have been passed by Nahas, Houli, and Dea, in respect to their roles.

How many project talls can we have? Post, Astbury, Vickery, Browne, Derrickx, McGuane :)rolleyes:), Gourdis, Rance....

Surely we have enough talls on the list to develop. Farmer should be a fair role player type in future IMO. Not a star but a worker. Keep for mine.

Could ask the same question regarding blue collar midfielders/flankers. How many can we have?
In no order:
Grigg, Jackson, Tuck, Edwards, White, Nason, Webberly, Nahas, Farmer, King.

We can carry a few of them, but that's too many. Farmer's in the bottom 3 of that list. Hasn't cemented the small defender spot, and is well below our good midfielders.

His long kicking is good, when under no pressure, but then again, so is mine. Doesn't mean anything. Under pressure and over short distances his kicking is average. He doesn't win enough of the ball and he's too slow. He just doesn't impact the game often enough.

Could ask the same question regarding blue collar midfielders/flankers. How many can we have?
In no order:

We can carry a few of them, but that's too many. Farmer's in the bottom 3 of that list. Hasn't cemented the small defender spot, and is well below our good midfielders.

His long kicking is good, when under no pressure, but then again, so is mine. Doesn't mean anything. Under pressure and over short distances his kicking is average. He doesn't win enough of the ball and he's too slow. He just doesn't impact the game often enough.

Having a look at the replay I have changed my mind on Farmer:D

He makes good decisions more often than not and doesn't lose his head. I think we should keep him as a depth player!!

In no order:

Difference is that those project talls need to fill only 4-5 positions:
CHF: Vickery
CHB: Astbury/Post??? We aren't entirely confident about either of them long term.
FB: Rance looks the goods
Ruck: Browne/Derickx/Vicks?

Whereas there are 7 field positions and 2 on ball positions to fill with the other flanker/midfield type. That is why we need to maintain some depth in that area.

I agree with you that the smalls you have listed aren't setting the World on fire ATM but IMO Nason and Webberley are definitely shown the door before Farmer, and probably White as well.

Don't you love it when one of our fringe players has a set shot at 50 and you actually feel confident that he'll not only make the distance, but kick straight too?

Now put Nason, Webberley, Edwards, Jackson, Nahas, King in that situation. What happens?

I know he's not playing forward much at this stage, but with kicking being IMO the most fundamental skill needed, he has a head start and I can see positives in him. He's still only 22 i think. I may well be proved wrong on this one but I reckon he's not quite ready for the scrap heap just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main problem with Farmer is if he's going to make it he would probably needs/needed to make that BP spot his own. Shut down those small forwards that have slaughtered us for so long. This is what he was orginally recruited for unless I'm mistaken. Problem is, he just doesn't have the pace to keep up with any forward with decent pace let alone the zippy, super quick ones. He's very slow.

I just can't see him making it. Was a recruiting/trading mistake IMO. Dea is a much better, more promising prospect to take this role. Where else does he play? Can't see him as a forward or midfielder. You need more than just a big kick. Could be worth a try but reckon it will prove to be futile.

Totally agree. For me one of the highlights of the Sydney win was this guys game. First time he's really shown what he can do.

Tall, athletic, hard at it... Reminds me a bit of Josh Drummond, let's just hope he doesn't have the same run with injuries!!!!

Let's try Farmer on a forward-flank or offensive wing role because he is obviously not well suited to the back line. Remember, Mitch is only 22 years old and most players peak around 25-26. I would definitely play him in front of a Webberley, White or Nason. I see something in this kid, it's just up to Richmond to nurture his talent.

Positives:
Beautiful kick - Seems all our backmen bar McGuane have all got a talent for kicking.
Courageous - that mark he took against Sydney in rd12 proves it.

Negatives:
Slow - Just like Paul Chapman and Tuck, he could use burst speed to his advantage.
Poor Decision Making - Build some confidence in this kid and it won't be a problem anymore.

farmers kicking and decision making is awful. being young or not doesnt matter its everything else that has to be judged. what else does he provide the team. edwards is a case in point. his kicking may not be great but what else does he provide the team- pace, tackle pressure to name a few. now im not saying he is the answer either but when you judge players you have to look at how many string to their bow they have. so when farmer doesnt really do anything well i think that means you let him go.

Lot of giving here...whats happens if you delist a dud and pick up another dud...its going to be a long day...dudding improvement...

what do you prefer stick with the known dud. or at least try someone different who may or may not be a dud.
every single draft pick rookie pick psd pick we use comes with risk.with this the worst that can happen is you tread water, but find a player having delisted a dud and its high fives all round.

how many high quality so called project talls have we unearthed over the last 10 yrs. seems to me to find enough of those quality pesky project talls you cant have enough.

talls are worth so much for a reason. they only account for about a third of a list are more hit and miss and theres only so many that get to the standard available each yr.
its no coincidence that riewoldt and vickery are the two most promising talls on the list they are the only first rnd talls we have.
if you want to build up tall stocks and grow if you use mainly late nd rookie picks you had damn well better load up and be prepared for a very high turn over rate.
either that or start useing many more earlier picks on talls.even then the fail rate is high. higher than it is with mids.

what do you prefer stick with the known dud. or at least try someone different who may or may not be a dud.
every single draft pick rookie pick psd pick we use comes with risk.with this the worst that can happen is you tread water, but find a player having delisted a dud and its high fives all round.

I can see where ya coming from claws but when the chances of getting a bigger dud is so much higher i think it may b worth just keeping the original dud for the short term.

i went to the game on sunday, sat in front of former richmond gun mark coughlan, was very interesting to hear what he had to say about some of the current richmond players.

although he did not have big wraps on this young fella and i dont either, i think if we are going to push forward as a football club and play in finals, he is not a player we can have in our 22. has an awesome right foot on him but isnt up to AFL standard for me.

but cogs did have a heap of praise for cotch and lids, and was very positive about thursfield who i thought had a good game.

also he loved jake batchelor this year claiming that he could be the new' joel bowden' of the football club.

Some of you are in for a shock as I believe he was signed to a 3 year deal when we traded for him.

Spoke with Mitch the oher night at Player Sponsors Night. Out of contract at the end of this season. Hope he makes it. Couldn't meet a nicer guy.

Spoke with Mitch the oher night at Player Sponsors Night. Out of contract at the end of this season. Hope he makes it. Couldn't meet a nicer guy.

Unfortunately this is a business and one that involves winning games of football. So as nice as Mitch is as a bloke, reality is, I am afraid he will need to have some serious positive impact in the next few weeks or he won't make it. Last week wasn't quite there, so Sunday will be a make or break game for him IMO!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back