Society & Culture Farmers

Remove this Banner Ad

do you look down on them the same way harley riders look down on my kawasaki ninja?

Of course!
Nah, not really. I quite often do my fruit and vege shopping at the local farmers market as I'm not much of a vege gardener.

I blame the workers and the unions too, but the Government didn't bail them out like it does other industries, nor were many people upset by that, when they are when the Greens want to cut subsidies for other industries.
Holden were given a handout by the government.

Farmers markets are a thing mostly because they are trendy and also because people are fiiiiiinally figuring out that under the producer-supermarket-customer model you get ****ed at both ends.

For all the food labeling we have now (origin, nutritional value etc) what would be interesting is if Coles and Woolies had to declare how much they paid suppliers. Not really feasible given the contracting strategies they have in place but only a small amount of the $7 you pay for a kilo of apples makes its way back to the orchardist. Plenty of places allow people to pick their own fruit now which is a novelty for kids but a PITA to most people having to drive out of the city to do it. But when you are paying $10 to fill a basket or box with as many apples or strawberries or whatever and the grower is having a win then it tells you how stiffed they are by the retailers.

Nah they're all campaigners.

Along with teachers, police, moderators, accountants, lawyers, the privately educated, most Baby Boomers, people who are weird about money, skinny jeans; basically anyone who isn't working class.

Farmers work far more working hours than the "working class". What a bunch of lazy campaigners the working class are.

farmers should stop whining and take a leaf from someone like Don Meij's book. I hear he started as a delivery boy yet is now worth billions as the Domino's Australia CEO. Shows that success can come to anyone if you're willing to work hard enuff!

His success that was built on the fact that someone else grows or raises the ingredients for his product?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-07-22/nsw-beefs-up-farm-trespass-laws/11330674

Protesters face tougher fines of up to $400,000, potential jail time as NSW beefs up farm trespass laws

Key points:
  • Tightened biosecurity laws in NSW will come into effect on August 1 with the aim of cracking down on activists and vigilantes that trespass onto farming properties
  • People who illegally trespass onto farms will face on-the-spot fines of $1,000 and there will be the potential of jail time and fines of up to $400,000
  • The Federal Government is also expected to pass its own farm trespass laws in the next two weeks
The NSW Government has announced a major shake-up of the Biosecurity Act, which will see trespassers handed an on-the-spot fine starting at $1,000.

Hopefully this rolls out across the country.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-07-22/nsw-beefs-up-farm-trespass-laws/11330674

Protesters face tougher fines of up to $400,000, potential jail time as NSW beefs up farm trespass laws
Key points:
  • Tightened biosecurity laws in NSW will come into effect on August 1 with the aim of cracking down on activists and vigilantes that trespass onto farming properties
  • People who illegally trespass onto farms will face on-the-spot fines of $1,000 and there will be the potential of jail time and fines of up to $400,000
  • The Federal Government is also expected to pass its own farm trespass laws in the next two weeks
The NSW Government has announced a major shake-up of the Biosecurity Act, which will see trespassers handed an on-the-spot fine starting at $1,000.

Hopefully this rolls out across the country.

Once Anna pulls her head out of her arse and Jackie deals with her "little" case of blatant corruption, we might get similar laws here in Qld.
I'm not holding my breath tho.

Nationals Senator Bridget McKenzie lives in Elwood (rich inner Melbourne suburb).
She used to drink in a bar in Elwood that was just around the corner from me. Fairly average individual and if shes an example of the quality of National MP's they are in a worse state than I thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Access to food at the cheapest possible prices; if that means from foreign sources at the detriment to the local farming industry then so be it.

Enjoy your salad grown in human excrement then.

Enjoy your salad grown in human excrement then.
All foreign food is grown in human waste?????

Heres a hint, any food will still have to comply with Australian food standards, just like they do now. The benefit will be to consumers who will have access to food at the cheapest possible price, and if that means foreign sources, then great!

Call me a crazy nationalist but having grown up not far from where apples are grown I think I'd prefer my apples from there than shipped in from China or wherever. Controversial I know to think fresh food that hasn't travelled thousands of km might be better.

Sure, but have you ever questioned who picks those apples here?

Ive worked with and for farmers, I've drank and slept with farmers daughters, I've gone to s hool with farmers, played sport with and for and saved Thier homesteads from bushfire. I fink I know farmer

The thing is, it isn't even thier land. They claim connection to it, and they mostly vote conservative.
They won't admit they cant adapt to the envioremmet. Won't accept that the indigenous can help them.

Are people honestly happy eating fruit and veg shipped from third world countries over eating our fresh, home grown produce because it's a little bit cheaper? * me. How about Australians just help out other Australians for a change

Ive worked with and for farmers, I've drank and slept with farmers daughters, I've gone to s hool with farmers, played sport with and for and saved Thier homesteads from bushfire. I fink I know farmer

The thing is, it isn't even thier land. They claim connection to it, and they mostly vote conservative.
They won't admit they cant adapt to the envioremmet. Won't accept that the indigenous can help them.

There's been some horseshit in this thread and then there is this horseshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back