Society & Culture Farmers

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving the dislikes to this post.
How about you explain your dislike, and then we can have a conversation?

So you embrace a like but can’t handle a dislike

In the same way It’s okay to like a post without engaging in conversation I can dislike a post without adding anything to it when I disagree with the content

Last edited:

You reckon Bomberboy is capable of a reply of more than 2 or 3 sentences?

Since he's got such a huge chip on his shoulder about farmers, and especially Qld farmers cos we rooooned his election hopes, I felt that he may have expanded a little.
But no.

Are people honestly happy eating fruit and veg shipped from third world countries over eating our fresh, home grown produce because it's a little bit cheaper? fu** me. How about Australians just help out other Australians for a change
Yep, as long as it continues to meet Australian food standards I have no issues at all with sourcing cheaper food from whatever sources; even foreign supplied like we do now.

Yep, as long as it continues to meet Australian food standards I have no issues at all with sourcing cheaper food from whatever sources; even foreign supplied like we do now.
Meanwhile the demand for quality, fresh. Locally grown food continues to grow rapidly.

Meanwhile the demand for quality, fresh. Locally grown food continues to grow rapidly.
Great, bravo for those local farmers meeting this demand, this is inline with the continued and inceasing demand for food fullstop. If now and in the future that means from cheaper foreign sources then great.

All foreign food is grown in human waste?????

Heres a hint, any food will still have to comply with Australian food standards, just like they do now. The benefit will be to consumers who will have access to food at the cheapest possible price, and if that means foreign sources, then great!

I'd expect it will get the same treatment as other imports do from internal interest groups. Such as in Perth the stadium bridge being designed by a cheaper overseas engineering group in the middle of a shortage of engineering jobs in WA... so the engineering union did their job as representatives of their members and suggested the quality of the work overseas had to be checked for safety reasons.

That fear stuff works. Food will be even easier. We don't have the ability to review fire safe cladding that was installed and sourced from China, signed off that it met the standard but when tested here months, it didn't. Now they all have to be replaced. When it comes to food, any problem that will be caused will have hit before action can be taken to prevent it.

So I expect the locals will push back heavily and the public will lean on the politicians who will do what they do best and regulate some standard testing at the port here, making things more expensive to import and bringing the costs closer locally produced goods.

The standards don't actually matter, the fear that has Chinese people clearing the shelves of baby formula here to ship back there will be leveraged against any mass import of food.

I actually think we should leverage it the other way, spend a fortune to make as much land workable as possible and ship a hundred million tonnes of food to Asia.

buy local produce ffs, why would you want your onions shipped in from bolivia or some s**t.
This morning for breakfast I ate some oats sourced from the UK accompianed with some Orange juice sourced from Greece. Both the oats and the juice were at least 50% less than the local sourced product, and the best part was they tasted great.

For tonights dinner I'ii be eating a Scandinavian produced fish, with a side of European sourced vegetables.; both less then 50% the cost of local produce, and also will taste great.

Last edited:
I'd expect it will get the same treatment as other imports do from internal interest groups. Such as in Perth the stadium bridge being designed by a cheaper overseas engineering group in the middle of a shortage of engineering jobs in WA... so the engineering union did their job as representatives of their members and suggested the quality of the work overseas had to be checked for safety reasons.

That fear stuff works. Food will be even easier. We don't have the ability to review fire safe cladding that was installed and sourced from China, signed off that it met the standard but when tested here months, it didn't. Now they all have to be replaced. When it comes to food, any problem that will be caused will have hit before action can be taken to prevent it.

So I expect the locals will push back heavily and the public will lean on the politicians who will do what they do best and regulate some standard testing at the port here, making things more expensive to import and bringing the costs closer locally produced goods.

The standards don't actually matter, the fear that has Chinese people clearing the shelves of baby formula here to ship back there will be leveraged against any mass import of food.

I actually think we should leverage it the other way, spend a fortune to make as much land workable as possible and ship a hundred million tonnes of food to Asia.

We currently source food from foreign sources which have to comply with Australian standards, it will continue to be no different.

We as an island nation have pretty much wiped out our domestic shipping industry and opened it up to almost 100% foreign supply, our food supplies should be the same.

We fly in 100% foriegn sourced commercial aircraft that have to comply with Australian and international standards; our food supplies should be the same.

We have closed down our domestic car manufacturers and source cheaper foreign produced cars that have to comply with local safety standards, etc etc.

Anyway I'ii continue to enjoy purchasing food products from whatever sources of produces i want, be they Norway, UK, Denmark, USA, Canada etc etc. As a consumer it is up to me to source food at the quality and price I choose.

Last edited:

That would mean keeping the land and they aren’t - more and more farms and stations are being bought up by overseas investors or being made unsustainable because of mining

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since he's got such a huge chip on his shoulder about farmers, and especially Qld farmers cos we rooooned his election hopes, I felt that he may have expanded a little.
But no.
I don't think he's totally anti farmer, would buy all his pot from local suppliers which would go a long way towards supporting our Aussie bikie gangs.

Takes a lot of diesel to run those sprayers for glysophate, to keep weeds down. Huge carbon footprint they have. Strange that cancers and birth defects related to that weed killer are high amongst farmers. Then there's the soil degradation and harm to other animals from spraying.

Sheep destroy our envioremmet and provide a food source to feral cats and foxes. Those ferals wipe out native species that keep weeds down. The farmer goes out at night in his land cruiser shooting those foxes and cats, using more fossil fuels. The use of those fossil fuels Contribites to longer droughts and storms that destroy crops, kill sheep ect.

Then the fires come and destroy what trees are left and making global warming even worse.

Then the farmer goes out and hands out conservative voting cards every election, denying global warming.

You couldn't make this s**t up.

Takes a lot of diesel to run those sprayers for glysophate, to keep weeds down. Huge carbon footprint they have. Strange that cancers and birth defects related to that weed killer are high amongst farmers. Then there's the soil degradation and harm to other animals from spraying.

Sheep destroy our envioremmet and provide a food source to feral cats and foxes. Those ferals wipe out native species that keep weeds down. The farmer goes out at night in his land cruiser shooting those foxes and cats, using more fossil fuels. The use of those fossil fuels Contribites to longer droughts and storms that destroy crops, kill sheep ect.

Then the fires come and destroy what trees are left and making global warming even worse.

Then the farmer goes out and hands out conservative voting cards every election, denying global warming.

Do you eat bread and roast lamb?

buy local produce ffs, why would you want your onions shipped in from bolivia or some s**t.

I just don't get why everyone reverts to 'food security' and 'food standards' when the first port of call should be that fresh is best. They grow great produce in the UK and Europe but that's 15,000 km away. If an orange is picked in Spain how long does it take to get to the shelf at Coles in Garden City? A month? Two months? 6 months?

Importing and exporting produce isn't a problem. If Australia closed the borders for agriculture trade we'd be broker than broke. But minimising farm to table times and transport distances etc is important.

Ever grown carrots? You pull them out of the ground, wash off the dirt and eat them - then sit there with a look of surprise on your face because they actually have some flavour. A bag of carrots from Coles that has sat in cold storage for months has no flavour whatsoever.

Foodmiles is becoming a greater consideration for consumers.
Plenty of us are happy to pay a tiny bit extra for Australian produce which for fresh produce is generally better quality anyway.

My partner and I get all our fruits and vegetables from this place; https://www.frescoproduce.com.au/

We get our meats exclusively from butchers as well. We've started buying our toilet paper from here recently too https://au.whogivesacrap.org/

Only stuff we get from Coles or Woolies is toiletries and cleaning products.

This morning for breakfast I ate some oats sourced from the UK accompianed with some Orange juice sourced from Greece. Both the oats and the juice were at least 50% less than the local sourced product, and the best part was they tasted great.

For tonights dinner I'ii be eating a Scandinavian produced fish, with a side of European sourced vegetables.; both less then 50% the cost of local produce, and also will taste great.

Well, aren't you the great little patriot.
You harp on about adhering to Australian Food Safety Standards, but what you don't realise is that food standards aren't policed by anyone at all from our side internationally.
An agreement is signed and in it comes.
It's only when someone gets sick that the food standards kick in and things get investigated. and products get recalled off shelves.
It's a bit late then, hey?

That would mean keeping the land and they aren’t - more and more farms and stations are being bought up by overseas investors or being made unsustainable because of mining

Yes, country has been bought by foreign interests, and that is an issue, but we are still overwhemingly owned by Australians.
Your claim about mining is absolute rubbish.

Sorry, it's hyperbolic bullshit.

I've never read so much crap in all my life.
Just laughable bullshit that I don't even know where to start rebutting because of the idiocy.

Yes, country has been bought by foreign interests, and that is an issue, but we are still overwhemingly owned by Australians.
Your claim about mining is absolute rubbish.

Sorry, it's hyperbolic bulls**t.

That's all wonderful, but would you care to blanket that cover over the entire continent and get back to me please?
You know, statistics and stuff.

Living in Australia and getting your fish from northern europe --- are you trolling breh???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back