News Fas Taking Time off for Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearing from a good source that Fas will request a trade back to WA at seasons end to be closer to family. The pressures of being away from home and playing footy are proving a struggle this year.

Hearing from a good source that Fas will request a trade back to WA at seasons end to be closer to family. The pressures of being away from home and playing footy are proving a struggle this year.

I hope your source is wrong, but I would understand if Fas did this.

Wondering if the 'go home' factor is more common than it used to be.

Dont think this is a true "go home" situation, there are other pressing factors here, like being closer to his brother Lewis and having his family network around him...

Dont think this is a true "go home" situation, there are other pressing factors here, like being closer to his brother Lewis and having his family network around him...

What do you think a 'go home' factor is if it isn't about a brother and a family network?

Last edited:
What do you think a 'go home' factor is if it isn't about a brother and a famiy network?

Because "go home factor" is based on someone being homesick and eager to get home to their state of origin because they dont enjoy their current surroundings. In this case its neccessity due to a health issue of the mind. Im sure if Fas was doing fantastically well, he would remain in Victoria. Thats a huge difference.

Because "go home factor" is based on someone being homesick and eager to get home to their state of origin because they dont enjoy their current surroundings. In this case its neccessity due to a health issue of the mind. Im sure if Fas was doing fantastically well, he would remain in Victoria. Thats a huge difference.

Pretty sure going home and family are hand in hand. Home is where the heart is.

So you're saying he wants to go home because of health, not that he wants to go home because of being homesick, but in both instances the player wants to.......

I dare you fill in the dots

What kind of source? Family, friend, affiliate or drunk mate at the pub?

Its pretty obvious his gonna leave imo shame is a gun and we will miss his best years
I know. He will be a gun player. Only a young 25 years of age. Probably won't happen but if he does move on, hopefully we get someone of equal stature in return.

Perhaps we could could come to a gentleman's agreement with Freo for a trade involving Harley Balic, who appears to be suffering from a similar affliction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps we could could come to a gentleman's agreement with Freo for a trade involving Harley Balic, who appears to be suffering from a similar affliction.
Would be a good trade. Fas form this year has been woeful and I hope he turns it around but I suspect he'll end up like Wellingham at WC.

Not a drunk mate at the pub, as l have sworn off the gas myself for a few months. I heard from a friends wife, who works for a particular radio station here in Melbourne.
Oh, so it was a typo.
You meant to write good sort, not source.:p

Haha, doesn't really improve it. While it wouldn't surprise if he does want a trade, I think I'll wait for a stronger source.

Yeah thats fair enough, l really hope he sees his future with us, but for him will he want to go through next year again what he is going through now. Apparently he was close to heading home after his previous contract. His good mate Cripps headed back home to Perth.

Not a drunk mate at the pub, as l have sworn off the gas myself for a few months. I heard from a friends wife, who works for a particular radio station here in Melbourne.

Thanks for the context Dead Eye.

It wouldn't surprise if true. People in dark spots gravitate to the support that family provides.

Life > Footy.

I'll miss Fas and it's sad that we lose his potential, but that's life. I know the club will be supportive.

I can't comment on someone else's source, but my own sense is that the mumbling about him leaving doesn't sound right.

Fas announced that he has depression, and the club supported him and agreed to give him as much space as he needs. Fas didn't then rush back to WA for the embrace of friends and family back home, like a homesick lad might have done, but instead he stayed in Melbourne and kept training with his teammates. In my opinion, these are not the actions of a man desperately seeking Western Australia.

I can't comment on someone else's source, but my own sense is that the mumbling about him leaving doesn't sound right.

Fas announced that he has depression, and the club supported him and agreed to give him as much space as he needs. Fas didn't then rush back to WA for the embrace of friends and family back home, like a homesick lad might have done, but instead he stayed in Melbourne and kept training with his teammates. In my opinion, these are not the actions of a man desperately seeking Western Australia.
It does seem a little odd doesn't it? In these kind of cases you'd usually assume that the player would take leave to spend time with loved ones, but Fas stayed in Melbourne and kept training. That doesn't sound like a case of homesickness to me.

Hypothetically though, if he did want home, I think we'd manage without him, particularly if Kirby keeps developing as he is. In fact, Kirby could well end up being an upgrade, having all of Fas' tricks in the air in addition to good crumbing ability and a really solid defensive game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back