Rumour Fas was rumoured to be heading back to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe the rumour that Maynes contract was 420k p/year if triggers are met. I reckon the media has used some poetic license reporting the figure. It also makes sense it's front loaded because we were attempting to meet TPP last year with the exit of Cloke and Brown. The 4 years was the dumbest part of the deal.

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, but until we get any form of denial from the club about what the structure of his contract is I'll back in the media given the accuracy of leaks we had prior to Pert's departure.

FWIW $420k pa for 4 is still about $1 million over the term of the deal more than he should have been on. He's a $300k pa over 2 years player every day of the week.

On Nicks rumours of a player very disgruntled in that signed contract then asked for upgrade when Mayne et al got big contracts. Thinks he is undervalued mmm who could it be ?

Its a time-old story in football. Theres always one overpaid player at a football club and always another who gets his knickers in a knot about it.

Wouldnt be too concerned, with front loading and other list and cap management tools whoever thinks hes getting unders will get compensated down the line. If hes worth it, whoever he is.

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, but until we get any form of denial from the club about what the structure of his contract is I'll back in the media given the accuracy of leaks we had prior to Pert's departure.

FWIW $420k pa for 4 is still about $1 million over the term of the deal more than he should have been on. He's a $300k pa over 2 years player every day of the week.
You could be right, but at the same time Treloar’s deal was reported at $800k before it came out that it was closer to $675k once the trade went through. There was a report from Jake Nial from memory that Maynes deal was around the $400-450k mark after he signed on, but it got lost in the noise at the time.

Not sure we’ll ever really know the details, but you’re right in saying even the numbers on the lower end of the scale are still way over the odds for him.

I'm not arguing that it was a good deal. I fully appreciate how bad it was. But I don't believe for a second it was 500k. I'd back the poster who stated that over the media any day because they're credible in my view. And it would only be 420k if triggers are met which I doubt he's doing. I don't think it's as dire as people believe.

I'm not arguing that it was a good deal. I fully appreciate how bad it was. But I don't believe for a second it was 500k. I'd back the poster who stated that over the media any day because they're credible in my view. And it would only be 420k if triggers are met which I doubt he's doing. I don't think it's as dire as people believe.
So if we decide to pay him out on another 3yrs of "triggers not met" we might be ok.

Whilst it looks like recruiting Mayne hasn't panned out at all, I feel like supporters on this board and elsewhere give it far more time than it's worth. When you break it down, he's 2.3% of our playing list being paid 3.6% of our TPP. It's not that huge of a deal.

Sources for those numbers before I'm asked (2017 playing list of 42, each player 2.3%, $450,000 salary expressed as 3.6% of cap ceiling of $12,450,000).

Whilst it looks like recruiting Mayne hasn't panned out at all, I feel like supporters on this board and elsewhere give it far more time than it's worth. When you break it down, he's 2.3% of our playing list being paid 3.6% of our TPP. It's not that huge of a deal.

Sources for those numbers before I'm asked (2017 playing list of 42, each player 2.3%, $450,000 salary expressed as 3.6% of cap ceiling of $12,450,000).

Even less going forward if we manage to frintload him. Will be a non issue by 2019.

Or we might be happy if he meets the triggers. You never know your luck
Stranger things have happened.
Just unsure this was one of our better ones.
But it happens, learn, don't repeat, move on.

To quote the late, Luis Carlos Galán Sarmiento* "always forwards, never backwards"

* using the Spanish tradition of the full game which includes the mother maiden name tacked on the back.

I assure you it isn't $420k with triggers included. It seems like logical middle ground is a $420k base with triggers taking up to $500k. That leaves everybody happy and doesn't indulge in fantasy!

In isolation no this deal isn't what has put us in a bad spot cap wise, but rather the accumulation of this bad contract on top of Wells', Greenwood's and Aish's. In terms of player dissent, which sparked this discussion, it would be a factor were it to be legitimate.

Last edited:
I assure you it isn't $420k with triggers included. It seems like logical middle ground is a $420k base with triggers taking up to $500k. That leaves everybody happy and doesn't indulge in fantasy!

In isolation no this deal isn't what has put us in a bad spot cap wise, but rather the accumulation of this bad contract on top of Wells', Greenwood's and Aish's. In terms of player dissent, which sparked this discussion, it would be a factor were it to be legitimate.

Indulge in fantasy? Don't be so condescending Sco.

I don't disagree regarding there being unecessary fat in some contracts. I think we need to look at getting rid of some of that and Ned Guy seems to be here to right that ship. It'll be interesting to see what moves are made to that end. The players you mention will be in the firing line if we chase Lynch.

But I reckon Wells and Mayne were brought in to meet minimum cap spend needing to replace Cloke and Browns contracts. So there will be some room to give Elliott the money he demonstrated last year that he deserves. There are also other ways to find some money such as trading or delisting guys like Sinclair and Ramsay and bringing in draftees.

Between spending all of our cap and making moves on some of those players I reckon we have room to manouvere.

Indulge in fantasy? Don't be so condescending Sco.

I don't disagree regarding there being unecessary fat in some contracts. I think we need to look at getting rid of some of that and Ned Guy seems to be here to right that ship. It'll be interesting to see what moves are made to that end. The players you mention will be in the firing line if we chase Lynch.

But I reckon Wells and Mayne were brought in to meet minimum cap spend needing to replace Cloke and Browns contracts. So there will be some room to give Elliott the money he demonstrated last year that he deserves. There are also other ways to find some money such as trading or delisting guys like Sinclair and Ramsay and bringing in draftees.

Between spending all of our cap and making moves on some of those players I reckon we have room to manouvere.

Condescending? Jeez mate you've seriously missed the mark here!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't he say he's happy at Collingwood and doesn't want to leave and subsequently West Coast have cooled on the idea of enticing him back to Perth. That's the end of it I would have thought.
Correct.
I'm sure he said he loves it here.

So it can only be offers coming in from WA sides or just media looking for something

I really like Fas, however, I don’t know whether we can play Elliot and Fas together on the forward line, if Cox and Moore are also down there. The 4 of them are basically marking forwards. Unless he moves to half back again, or provided we can get something decent for him for West Coast, it may be best for overall ‘balance’ that he is traded.

Otherwise, the coaching team need to work on a number of team plays to make it work.

I really like Fas, however, I don’t know whether we can play Elliot and Fas together on the forward line, if Cox and Moore are also down there. The 4 of them are basically marking forwards. Unless he moves to half back again, or provided we can get something decent for him for West Coast, it may be best for overall ‘balance’ that he is traded.

Otherwise, the coaching team need to work on a number of team plays to make it work.

I agree.... One of Elliot or fas need to be taller or a dedicated crumber.

They can work because Elliott does have a crumbing ability. Fas really needs to pull his finger out defensively though, needs to have manic pressure when opposition has the ball

True, let’s only have 3 good forwards instead of 4 makes sense.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Individually they are good. But there are glaring deficiencies in our forward line that unless someone like Fas can change the way he plays, I can’t see it improving significantly to challenge. Also, it doesn’t mean you are necessarily losing a good forward. You may be bringing in a type of player that compliments the others. Adelaide for example have Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and Betts. All very different players, playing their role.

They can work because Elliott does have a crumbing ability. Fas really needs to pull his finger out defensively though, needs to have manic pressure when opposition has the ball
yeah totally agree. Although, you would like to see more crumbing from Elliot as well rather than continuously flying for the mark. Having said that, that’s probably more his natural game so bringing in a genuine, speedy crumber is obviously the better way to go. Our defensive pressure can be a lot better and doesn’t help our defenders when the opposition brings it out so easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back