Fast Food

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive never had a brioche bun from a FnC shop ever
If you buy a hamburger bun from the supermarket it is the sweet roll from McDonalds thats the new norm
Its not technically sweet(to our tastes now) but it was sweeter than what we had before.
I remember it had to be re-named a "bun" instead of a roll in Australian because of the sugar content. ..I think it was part of bakers standards ????

Agreed 100%. KFC costs $15 to fill me up whereas my local chicken shop I can get a schnitzel burger, can of drink and a side for $12ish. Food is much better too. People just love chains but better food and lower cost is at your local

Most of the big chains follow the same model of item + fries/chips + drink for around $12-15. I could eat a large quarter pounder meal from McDonald's which is probably 5,000 kJ+ and be hungry 10 minutes later.

I'd much rather get a good burger with plenty of meat and salad or a good serving of chicken and then maybe a few chips on the side. If I get KFC I'll usually just get a small 3 piece box or one of the 'build your own bucket' things with just chicken. A heap of chips and a 600mL drink is just empty calories.

If you buy a hamburger bun from the supermarket it is the sweet roll from McDonalds thats the new norm
Its not technically sweet(to our tastes now) but it was sweeter than what we had before.
I remember it had to be re-named a "bun" instead of a roll in Australian because of the sugar content. ..I think it was part of bakers standards ????

Most burgers are ruined by poor bun selection. Fluffy sugar buns are gross.

Nice fresh bun, lightly toasted. All you need, let the contents do the work.

Even though they claim beetroot as an Australian burger staple
I think it was a NSW thing more than a Victorian thing ???
I remember the plain burgers of my yoof were toasted and buttered bread roll (not sweet), iceberg lettuce, grilled onions and tomato too (you could ask for no tomato it just made it too wet and wrecked the balance and slid out)

My go too was and still is toasted buttered bread roll, iceberg lettuce,meat, grilled onion, grilled pineapple, cheese and tomato sauce....in that order

When I migrated to Oz I livewd in Eastwood (NSW) and visited the local burger bar on the way to\from the train. It was run by a lovely Chinese family at the time and when I would order a 'plain' hamburger it was toasted and buttered bun, onions cooked next to the hamburger patty and lettuce, tomato and beetroot with either tomato or bbq sauce as the options.

It was then an add-on cost for cheese, egg, or bacon, or pineapple or order one 'with the lot'

It was the old style Milk Bar with a few booths inside and the counter and drink fridges up front of shop

Getting harder to find that style around anymore. There is one near the holiday house at The Entrance, but its pretty ordinary TBH

Macdonalds introduced the sweet rolls that every FnC started using from about the 80s on.
The "normal" burger bun was almost a panini originally,just a basic flat white round roll

Added high volume of sugar to help them 'keep' longer without discoloration

Great for the beetus :thumbsu:

Where does Grill'd sit in your fast food minds?

In the top third of the list actually
Chains are pretty sucky. HJ's has gone way downhill although my daughter loves it (mostly the bursties and the chicken tneder crisp burger), Maccas is\has always been ordinary. KFC, meh leave that to Bomberboyokay.
Forget the major pizza chains altogether and get a local everytime

KFC and any pizza outlet are my go to for fast food. Macca's are Hungry Jack's are a shadow of what they once were

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the top third of the list actually
Chains are pretty sucky. HJ's has gone way downhill although my daughter loves it (mostly the bursties and the chicken tneder crisp burger), Maccas is\has always been ordinary. KFC, meh leave that to Bomberboyokay.
Forget the major pizza chains altogether and get a local everytime
You and Bombers are the KFC bros.

* off

KFC was my go to when i was 20-25 - loved a twister combo or 2 piece feed. Reckon ive had it maybe 5 times the last 10 years.

Maccas i didnt have for about 10 years except when drunk - but now with kids its our goto fast food 'restaurant' - just get the family pack. Its so ingrained in kids that they choose it even though they dont really enjoy it and leave half of it, ******* happy meals. When i was first with the missus, reckon we/they had it twice a month with the kids but now only have it when going on holidays and we need something when on the highways.

HJs i dont really have often, missus enjoys it so its the occasional if we dont get maccas.

Id rather get noodles (Char Kway Teow or Singapore Noodles) or get a hot chicken and have chicken roll/sandwich at home.

Used to love KFC. Would be a regular stop on the way home from the airport each week back in the fifo days. Bacon and cheese fillet burger was my go to. Don't even know if they still do them as I don't think I've had it in 10 years probably.

I used to get it all the time when I did night fill, which was really evening fill. Would finish by 8-9pm and then grab some KFC on the way home. A good sized feed was under $10 and my 17/18 year old metabolism would destroy whatever trash I decided to eat. This is going back so far (2001/02) that the meals still came with Coke and not Pepsi. Would also get it at uni when they had $5-6 lunch specials.

Now while I do like the odd dirty bird meal my 35 year old body reminds me that it's very much a sometimes thing.

KFC was my go to when i was 20-25 - loved a twister combo or 2 piece feed. Reckon ive had it maybe 5 times the last 10 years.

Maccas i didnt have for about 10 years except when drunk - but now with kids its our goto fast food 'restaurant' - just get the family pack. Its so ingrained in kids that they choose it even though they dont really enjoy it and leave half of it, ******* happy meals. When i was first with the missus, reckon we/they had it twice a month with the kids but now only have it when going on holidays and we need something when on the highways.

HJs i dont really have often, missus enjoys it so its the occasional if we dont get maccas.

Id rather get noodles (Char Kway Teow or Singapore Noodles) or get a hot chicken and have chicken roll/sandwich at home.

often cheaper than a FF meal and more filling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back