Fast Forward to April 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh depending draw I would hope to be at least 3-2 in the first 5
Hope is one thing, but why would you expect that without knowing the draw at all? Would you expect that to follow through for the season for a 60% plus win rate?

I think we can and should improve quite rapidly, but there are way too many variables. My expectations for now would be 11 wins for the year. Just square the season.

We'll get more out of 2nd year apprentices after this preseason than the 1st year apprentices that they were this year, but they aint tradies yet. 19/20 is still a babe in swaddling in this game, particularly for the big guys like Cox and Darcy.

Earlier in the year, we were able to take on the corridor more, seems to me that it's injury that stuffed that up. So hopefully our rebounding will get back to that hint of deadly that we had in instances.

Tabs for the games he's played this year I give a B+ I'd go so far as to say that we'd have at least one more game in the bag this year if he wasn't injured. So for 2019, some functioning KPF (whoever, however) will make an improved team.

Walters. He's tried to single handedly gee up the team in a lot of this years games, but loses his poise and is no longer a deadly footy weapon in the process. Same could be said about Fyfe in the Pies game. A lift in the output of the youngsters would help the seniors, they can probably ease up the intensity a little bit and get their poise back.

Injury is a <insert rude word of your choice>. We just don't know how well Logue, Blakely and others will recover. A less foobar year with injury is enough to improve us next year - and the footy gods owe us on that front.

I think we'll rock up to April as better team, so many new players will have another preseason together which helps build the team aspect of the game. So, not just the kids filling out and having more gas in the tank, but knowing the game plan, knowing on instinct that if Wilson takes the ball that you can lead a long way from congestion and he'll put the ball on to your chest or knowing Darcy's intricacies if you are at the feet of the ruckmen at a clearance etc.

Last edited:

I’ll look at the team through the 3 areas, backs, mids, forwards.

This time last year, we had Hammer, a raw Ryan and looking forward to the return of Pearce. Johnno was slowing down. The backline was shaken, hoping that Pearce would stand up. Go forward to now, we had added Wilson and started to find a mobile defended through our youngsters. The backline is still a work in progress, but it is looking very solid.

The mids to me is the frustrating area, so much to work will. We have improved our depth, but it is very young. Darcy once he got on the field, seemed to take a further step each week. Got to get a fit band of brothers playing together, Fyfe, BHill, Neale, Walters etc.

The forward line has trod water this season, the potential is there, but it is yet to produce. It was shown how vital Tabs is to this area, he started the season well and the forward looked serviceable, got injured and the forward line disappeared, returns and we have a faint looking forward line. Tabs is the lead up forward, Cox pops in behind and Macca plays 3rd. The crumbles need to crumb, not be marking targets.

Remember a chap called Logue, could be very valuable going forward.

In summary, very happy with backline development, mids need to lift ( good young talent ), forwards need to extract the digit, ....... but I can see some light there.

Please put Dave Mundy in a large iced esky over summer, legend on ice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back