Tasmania Fastest way to get a Tasmanian AFL club

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you class as AFL standard though.

You could say that the elite players meet the criteria, but the rest don't.

AFL standard today is what we get served up by the poorest of our clubs, as is the 2nd tier, be it Vic, Tas, wherever.

Add two more squads from the 2nd tier & that adds up to a lower standard than we have today IMHO.

The VFL play the WAFL this weekend - check out the squads, lots of guys had a chance on AFL lists & were delisted, why were they delisted, not good enough?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-25/former-afl-stars-set-to-shine-in-vfl-v-wafl-state-game

AFL standard today is what we get served up by the poorest of our clubs, as is the 2nd tier, be it Vic, Tas, wherever.

Add two more squads from the 2nd tier & that adds up to a lower standard than we have today IMHO.

The VFL play the WAFL this weekend - check out the squads, lots of guys had a chance on AFL lists & were delisted, why were they delisted, not good enough?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-25/former-afl-stars-set-to-shine-in-vfl-v-wafl-state-game
Yeah maybe, but more players also means more talent.

Do you think a player that dominates lower leagues deserves a shot?

Some players just don't make it, for whatever reason, some look better than the ones that do before they are drafted, and i'm sure some don't get drafted and would of made it.

So to me, the more you draft, the more talent we will see.

Yeah maybe, but more players also means more talent.

Do you think a player that dominates lower leagues deserves a shot?

Some players just don't make it, for whatever reason, some look better than the ones that do before they are drafted, and i'm sure some don't get drafted and would of made it.

So to me, the more you draft, the more talent we will see.

I'm all for players earning a shot & as the lists for the interstate game show, that's whats happening - do you want a player earning AFL status or being gifted it - look at the footy that resulted from the Northern expansion, fans were wanting their club to get games against them for only one reason.
More teams is no magic pudding, it will bring in more players that would not have got a game 10-15-20 years ago & that's not progress to me.
More teams just enables hard decisions being avoided, weak approach for people claiming to love our game at the highest level.

I'm all for players earning a shot & as the lists for the interstate game show, that's whats happening - do you want a player earning AFL status or being gifted it - look at the footy that resulted from the Northern expansion, fans were wanting their club to get games against them for only one reason.
More teams is no magic pudding, it will bring in more players that would not have got a game 10-15-20 years ago & that's not progress to me.
More teams just enables hard decisions being avoided, weak approach for people claiming to love our game at the highest level.
Well what i see the AFL is trying to do, is get more people involved into footy, if GWS and GC take off, we are going to see a lot more kids playing.
That will equate to more talent.

And yes i think players should earn an AFL spot, so dominating a lower grade to me, is earning it.

Well what i see the AFL is trying to do, is get more people involved into footy, if GWS and GC take off, we are going to see a lot more kids playing.
That will equate to more talent.

And yes i think players should earn an AFL spot, so dominating a lower grade to me, is earning it.

Maybe having more spots at AFL level is your version of progress but to me its simply making more room for 2nd tier players, driving down the elite status of the AFL footballer, and it shows.

Example: I'll offer you Liam Ryan at Subi in the WAFL, came down to Perth from Geraldton early in 2016, but was not picked up in the last draft & in 2017 is kicking the doors down. Great example of the system working.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/tradin...ospect-for-afl-selectors-20160518-goxxjc.html
No one is being held back by the current system, more teams, more 2nd tier players ...

Every player that gets drafted is a "second tier player"

Once they get drafted it's up to them if they make it or not.

And yes, less teams means that only the best get in, but it also means you will miss some gems.

Yeah, no issues..after all, the TSL didn't have any regional problems when the Tasmanians set it up originally....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's not like the first shot at the TSL failed due largely to parochialism, or that Tasmania has 16 LEAGUES for only 106 clubs (yes, that is ess than 7 clubs per league), but can't work out by themselves how to amalgamate them...Nah, just one big happy, unified state. :rolleyes:

The only thing that unifies Tasmanian football is the willingness to deflect the blame for things that were problematic long before the AFL arrived to the AFL.

With 1/2 an ounce of thought, one can see the real problems began when the AFL developed in the 1980's. The State league here started in 1985 so ran headlong into unforeseen social change. It was a brave vision for a stronger league to represent the peak of Tassie footy. The previous 3 leagues were reasonably successful in themselves but the powers of the time saw a bright future for one strong league to be above local football. Many note the quality of play, players & coaches it managed to attract in those early days. Indeed the performance of Tasmanian state teams was at its peak in those early years. Their were victories over VFL, VFA, WAFL & SANFL teams & regular close games. That didn't last.

I've said this before that when the WAFL & SANFL were badly affected by the AFLs development, it was balanced out by WCE & AC clubs starting up & winning flags, then FFC & PA helped spread the AFL in those states & keep the public interest in AF in their community.

The state league here was affected by the changes of that time. The rise of the AFL on TV, weekend shopping, weekend work. Shopping malls, the internet & social media addictions, poker machines have all affected peoples lifestyle choices. Those changes really started back then. Tasmania didnt get an AFL club which would have helped keep the level of football interest in the publics eye via being in the national competition.

Its easy to see the position & relative strength of Tasmanian football suffered from that time & was never managed with the level of equity that its contribution to the game it deserved at that time. The AFL have continued to drain the place to death. With Fitzroy, StKilda, Hawthorn & North Melbn all flying in for money, NONE of them, have done anything more than slightly meaningful for Tasmanian football.

The behavior of AFLTas, in enacting head office policy , has really done very little to affect the decline as I mention above. Its only the AFL who could hope to counter the forces of social change & keep football here at the level it had been. That also applies to WA,SA & VFL footy who also would have suffered from the winds of social change had they not ridden the rise of TV entertainment/sport. Indeed the AFL ended up killing the once proud VFA, the nations oldest competition.

The AFL has effectively continued to drain Tasmania like the VFL had done previously. The changes I note above made it impossible for local football anywhere to resist those changes without help. IMO, that would be either having a presence in the new sports entertainment monolith, the AFL, OR, as distasteful as I'd find it, having a new source of finance, such as poker machines. Here our state Gument sold that income to other interests, so local opportunities were likewise limited in that regard.

Perhaps you can debate that.

The players you want upgraded to AFL status belong in the 2nd tier because they aren't up to AFL standard.
Nah, that's what they were saying when GWS and Gold Coast were announced.

The VFA started with 5 teams. The VFL increased it to 8 teams. When I started watching it had 12 (for ages). Then 14 (in 87), then 16 and now 18.

20 teams will happen. Get on board a third team in WA. It's the only way we're going to stop traveling to the moon and back each year.

Still think it's shocking that every heartland state doesn't produce a Top 5 level draft pick every year.. tbh Victoria should be producing 5 alone themselves. I'd say the Northern states are pulling their weight considering it isn't even their no.1 sport.

Plus more Caleb Daniel types should be getting drafted but they're not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The quickest and easiest way to do it would be to merge GC and North, and then obviously send them sowf.

Every player that gets drafted is a "second tier player"

Once they get drafted it's up to them if they make it or not.

And yes, less teams means that only the best get in, but it also means you will miss some gems.

Why would you miss them, just like Liam Ryan or Matty Priddis, missing being drafted the first time is not the end.

The quickest and easiest way to do it would be to merge GC and North, and then obviously send them sowf.

You just dont get it do you. We dont want your suburban teams here. They have their own community. Whether or not they should be in a national competition is moot point. Never the less, they should not leave their suburb.

Nah, that's what they were saying when GWS and Gold Coast were announced.

The VFA started with 5 teams. The VFL increased it to 8 teams. When I started watching it had 12 (for ages). Then 14 (in 87), then 16 and now 18.

20 teams will happen. Get on board a third team in WA. It's the only way we're going to stop traveling to the moon and back each year.

Did you take in the link to the squads for the VFL & WAFL interstate game?
Former AFL stars set to shine in VFL v WAFL state game

Some decent players there. Completely overshadowed of course by the fact that when I read it it was the first time I can recollect an article had used the words "widespread doping ban" rather than "supplements scandal".

Good footballers ALL, not up to AFL standard so have been delisted (most).

What would be the point of merging the two clubs then relocating that club? Wouldn't it be easier to just relocate one or the other so there's still an even amount of clubs, or merge them and introduced a new Tassie team.

One of the biggest problems I see is that the AFL dont want an odd number of teams so the options would be either:
1.Relaction of a smaller Vic club- who goes? Tasmanians won't ever fully embrace a reject
2.Merge two smaller clubs so a Tassie team can come in- who mergers? Doubt the AFL would risk losing exsiting fans
3.Introduce a 20th club- where from? Cairns, Act, NT all smaller than Tas. No one is really crying out for a third WA team and the extreamly optimistic Sydney 3 is at least 30 years away. Talent pool spread even thinner.

Really? So it hasn't been brought up in this thread several times already?

Do you need me to quote those posts?

More closely to what I was replying to...Ask Kwality is he'd be willing to add a Tas club without killing off a Vic club...
Cute deflection.

But here's my take (to repeat myself) - when the politics change then all of the contra-Tas team arguments will be yesterday's news, wrapping fish-heads.

The pendulum is swinging, and I would not be surprised if a Tas team is launched within the next 5 - 7 years. As a win-win outcome - not at the expense of any Vic team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back