Society/Culture Fat Shaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Going to say I’m pretty ignorant in general about this, and if this was a reddit thread it’d be post under /r/thingsyoureafraidtoask, but is fat shaming really as egregious as it is made out to be?

Sexuality, race, cultural background etc you are unable to choose and I can see why these are no go for sledging, you have to be careful about offending others when making jokes in this area but weight is something you can control and weight loss is achievable for just about anybody.

Is it because food addition is legitimate and some have genuine issues with this? Addiction also points to other issues, emotional problems, etc, so that’s makes some sense.

I saw Bairstow getting chided for being porky and not take too kindly to it but tbf he’s a chubby professional athlete.

As a former fat kid I never blamed my metabolism when I was teased for being fat and knew that if I wanted it to stop the onus was on me to drop the weight.

Obviously you shouldn’t go out of your way to be hurtful to fat people - not one likes a campaigner, but I’m just trying to get to the bottom of why society is steadfast in protecting those who aren’t protecting themselves?

Similar to other social justice movements, fat people have been added as an identity group that are victimised by society. However, unlike sexuality, race and cultural background it lacks claims of essentialism. People are not born fat, they tend to eat too much. Being obese has significant health issues. Identifying as a fat person and deliberately gaining weight is insane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back