Father Son/ Academy Free Hits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brett Ratten left Brad Fisher stranded on 99 games back in 2010.
With all due respect to Bruce, Jones and Fisher [ and their kids], Lockett isn't comparable.
We probably take it as a given Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf's kids could be decent tennis players. :think: Think Lockett's genes like Gary Ablett Snr not really in the same boat!

The only rule the AFL needs to change is for clubs can only match points with their next pick or pick/s from that corresponding rounds. If there's a deficit, it gets taken off the corresponding round next year.

Example: Darcy.
Bid at Pick 3, wipes out Pick 17 this year (when they kept it) and reduces next years first round pick.

Clubs should be incentivising to trade up the draft to match points, not down.

It isn’t as such an issue now that these teams have been in the AFL for a couple decades, but early on the biggest sham was the different criteria applied to the interstate teams.

Where the games qualification for the WA teams in the WAFL to qualify was 150 games and for the SA clubs 200 in the SANFL.

Why were SA father/son prospects required to play double the amount of games as the vic teams.

Again this isn’t as much of an issue in the current environment but over the past 15 years, a number of players have missed out on being ruled as a FS based on the additional criteria.

is it a coincidence that the dogs supporters are extremely quiet in this thread? lol. everyone has been spot on thus far. Rules were changed with Hawkins and Ugle-Hagan after the AFL identified that too much of an advantage had been given. But as others have pointed out. The damage has been done. I'm filthy we don't get Mac Andrew. That's a decade of a good player just because the AFL decided to further advantage the dogs by changing the rules in a year when they don't have a first round NGA player but multiple clubs do, like us and stkilda.

Your club should have implemented a better breeding program.

Not fair as Buddy has been monogamous in Sydney.

Interesting take. I had someone I work with ask if I knew who Buddy Franklin is, as a friend of hers had gone back to his place. She (the one I work with) had no idea who he was but knew that I follow the AFL so asked.

This was about 2 weeks after he moved here and before most of the city knew who he was.

No idea if her friend made it up, or the person I work with made it up, but its a strange story to invent - given he was a nobody at that time for 95% of the city.

I suspect he has way more made up stories about him than true stories about him though.

How could Ebert not have been eligible? Russell played well over 300 games at Port while there was no AFL team from SA. I remember Gibbs not being eligible because his dad played a portion of his games at Glenelg while the Crows were in the AFL, does make sense although definitely unlucky for the Crows.

So the initial F/S rules for Adelaide and Port, the 10 SANFL clubs were divvied between the 2 clubs and aligned to each team - I think ( ? ) Adelaide got Norwood / Glenelg / Sturt / West Adel / North Adel - while Port got Port / West Torrens / Woodville / Centrals / South - anyway because the pool was bigger, they made the requirement 200 games

But they also had some stupid time limit put on it too where games before 1970 (ish) and after the Crows formation didn't count, so alot of Russel Ebert's games in the earliest part of his career technically didn't count - However, luckily no one realised this when Port recruited Brett because that would have been stupid

It was only when Adelaide journalist and Port fanatic Rucci dug up the fact that Bryce Gibbs wasn't technically eligible for Adelaide in the lead up to the 2005 draft was it also realised the Brett Ebert hadn't been eligible a couple of seasons earlier - but by then it had already happened

To make things sillier, they did retrospectively change the years served stipulation afterwards, but it was basically pointless as by that time any player now suddenly eligible was way past drafting age anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood could have been a Hawk you snooze you lose
Sure we made a mess of pick Thorp but that's not the point i was making. I think we did ok anyway over the next few years.

If it happened the next year you would have sacrificed your 1st pick to get Hawkins instead of being able to get him for a 3rd round pick.

Bulldogs are an interesting case.

Ugle-Hagan was a complete free hit like all NGA nonsense, but back in the day they got Ayce Cordy at 14 when the rule was 'use your next pick' and St Kilda tried to take him at 13. Once upon a time he would've been a token 3rd round pick no one could bid on, under current rules he would've been some combo of picks that magically adds up to about pick 19 worth of points.

Most of their F/S players weren't particularly highly rated. Zaine Cordy, West, Libba, Wallis, Hunter etc. weren't top 5 picks. The best of the lot at draft time was Wallis who was bid on at pick 16 and they got for pick 22. Darcy looks like being another JUH bargain, but I wouldn't be getting too excited about how kissed on the dick they are for getting Zaine Cordy and Lachie Hunter for picks in the 50s and 60s.

They also drafted Dunkley who was F/S eligible elsewhere and traded in Schache who wasn't F/S eligible but his dad played for the Bears.

With NGA (first round rules changed) and F/S bidding, plus a points value index, plus live pick trading, plus future pick trading the AFL has created too many opportunities to clubs to game the system.

Last edited:
Croft ‘dismayed’ at his treatment by the dogs in his final year..I doubt the Croft family has forgotten..
Jordan's been training with us as part of our FS program.

The points system is a load of garbage. Collingwood knowing full well they’ll get Daicos for a handful of rubbish picks traded out their first pick. If a player gets nominated in the first round and you have traded your first round you lose them.

The points system is a load of garbage. Collingwood knowing full well they’ll get Daicos for a handful of rubbish picks traded out their first pick. If a player gets nominated in the first round and you have traded your first round you lose them.

They have lost their first and second rounders. They may not have lost them directly in the bidding process but they still lost them because of the bidding process. Those picks are gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back