Father & Son & Academy Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

we'll take a punt but probably tracking worse than patty at this stage

wouldnt get picked up if it werent for fs
Damn. MRJ looks good but we probably could have picked him up anyway.

We've been dudded a bit with FS picks, I'm waiting for our Hawkins or Daicos or Ashcroft or Darcy type pick.

Damn. MRJ looks good but we probably could have picked him up anyway.

We've been dudded a bit with FS picks, I'm waiting for our Hawkins or Daicos or Ashcroft or Darcy type pick.
I'm not sure where Groupie_ is getting their mail from but looking at the stats for the two boys as underagers in the NAB league Pat played one less game than Charlie has but did manage to average three more possessions per game

Obviously that's just stats but it would suggest they are pretty evenly placed at the same age

I'm not sure where Groupie_ is getting their mail from but looking at the stats for the two boys as underagers in the NAB league Pat played one less game than Charlie has but did manage to average three more possessions per game

Obviously that's just stats but it would suggest they are pretty evenly placed at the same age
I guess his draft year in 2023 is the critical year. A lot of players come on/fall off in that year. Hopefully we have a guy who's a bit of a bolter this time and rises up the rankings rather than falls down!

Mind you if he does, we'd then need to trade in some points to get him.

Numbers have actually started to decline, in Vic anyway
Got a source for that?

Everything I have read has the girls numbers growing year over year but the boys numbers are that are showing a decline

There's an AFLW thread filled with tumbleweeds where that can be put. Reality is 99% of us don't give a s**t. In 10 years time when they're going on strike cos the men put their foot down over the constant syphoning and say align your EBA to actual income generated even less will care. All the women in my family and circle who love AFL can't stand AFLW so it's doomed to fail.
EBA to income generated. This will have to happen eventually. Right now it would be a sink hole of cash with broadcasters only covering the games because the AFL ask them to or threaten as is the AFL way.

Got a source for that?

Everything I have read has the girls numbers growing year over year but the boys numbers are that are showing a decline
yeah, male participation is in a bad way, retention of players coming out of juniors and into under 19s is a real problem.

There was a thread on the womens participation a few months ago with stats to support.

the story generally was that womens footy had peaked and participation had just slightly declined.

To be expected with the hype around the launch of AFLW driving a huge spike initially but then some women deciding it’s not for them after giving it a go.

yeah, male participation is in a bad way, retention of players coming out of juniors and into under 19s is a real problem.

There was a thread on the womens participation a few months ago with stats to support.

the story generally was that womens footy had peaked and participation had just slightly declined.

To be expected with the hype around the launch of AFLW driving a huge spike initially but then some women deciding it’s not for them after giving it a go.
Definitely seems overall grass footys is struggling especially for Jr clubs, seeing a lot of clubs out my way that at one stage had multiple teams around bottom age only fielding one and the smaller clubs struggling to even but together one jr side

Pretty sad especially for some of the older clubs that are copping a mix of the areas they represent having less young family’s and the massive uptake in soccer

Out in the northern suburbs the soccer clubs are exploring

So have the boys jr numbers
Agree, numbers aren't great, but with a full junior season completed for the first time since covid, I imagine an increase for the first time since 2018/19

A lot of kids were trying to join clubs half way through the season last year after not wanting to play at the start.

My guess is, things are getting back to normal in the kids eyes, and the anxiety around playing sport again is diminishing.

Whilst there are some similar challenges with both girls and boys footy, there are different things in play with participation rates as well

Geez, knock the ladies game if you wish, it's your right but just remember you're looking at a semi professional competition still in its infancy. I watch it and I love it !

The girls go in bloody hard and leave it all out on the park and yes the skills are lacking as you go down the list (nothing wrong with Mon Conti's skills btw) the fitness levels will take time to develop (semi pro remember) and some of the kicking styles are less than classical but bloody hell they have a red hot go.

If you're comparing it to fully professional men's competition that's been going for 150 years with big budgets and average salaries of $350k then you need to get a reality check. If you're even comparing it to good quality men's leagues Firsts footy, then again you're missing the point.

If you haven't been watching Richmond this season then you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. The good news is there's still time to jump on the bandwagon because the girls are on a roll and they're bloody good to watch, playing a fast moving, exciting brand of footy.

Give the cheap shots a miss and get on board. It's bloody good fun to have another Tigers team in contention!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez, knock the ladies game if you wish, it's your right but just remember you're looking at a semi professional competition still in its infancy. I watch it and I love it !

The girls go in bloody hard and leave it all out on the park and yes the skills are lacking as you go down the list (nothing wrong with Mon Conti's skills btw) the fitness levels will take time to develop (semi pro remember) and some of the kicking styles are less than classical but bloody hell they have a red hot go.

If you're comparing it to fully professional men's competition that's been going for 150 years with big budgets and average salaries of $350k then you need to get a reality check. If you're even comparing it to good quality men's leagues Firsts footy, then again you're missing the point.

If you haven't been watching Richmond this season then you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. The good news is there's still time to jump on the bandwagon because the girls are on a roll and they're bloody good to watch, playing a fast moving, exciting brand of footy.

Give the cheap shots a miss and get on board. It's bloody good fun to have another Tigers team in contention!

Conti is a star.

I've watched a bit this year but struggled to sit through a full game. The problem is the talent has been stretched way too far. Every team has a handful of guns and a dozen plus well below par players. Call me sexist if you wish but the whole thing was rushed in to begin with the please the minority and expanded far too quickly. The talent just isn't there yet. Give it a decade and it will resemble an elite competition IMO. I reckon it should've stayed as a state league comp for a few more years with a state of origin comp every year to give the girls something to strive for. Then start bringing in AFL teams into a comp gradually as the talent pool expands.

Still, it's good to see the tigers going well.

Conti is a star.

I've watched a bit this year but struggled to sit through a full game. The problem is the talent has been stretched way too far. Every team has a handful of guns and a dozen plus well below par players. Call me sexist if you wish but the whole thing was rushed in to begin with the please the minority and expanded far too quickly. The talent just isn't there yet. Give it a decade and it will resemble an elite competition IMO. I reckon it should've stayed as a state league comp for a few more years with a state of origin comp every year to give the girls something to strive for. Then start bringing in AFL teams into a comp gradually as the talent pool expands.

You're entitled to your opinion and you make your points but I couldn't disagree more. I much prefer to lift people up than push them down or keep them where you're perhaps more comfortable with them being ?

As for "pleasing the minority" last time I looked women were about 51 % of the population.

We could argue the merits up hill and down dale but I'd rather put a positive spin on a competition that I've really grown to enjoy and leave it at that.

Conti is a star.

Agree the talent is stretched too far.

But still good to watch and it is forcing a growth in high level players.

By going early the AFL has created a solid basis for the future, and shown the potential for girls/women to play at the highest level. This creates its own momentum IMHO.

You're entitled to your opinion and you make your points but I couldn't disagree more. I much prefer to lift people up than push them down or keep them where you're perhaps more comfortable with them being ?

As for "pleasing the minority" last time I looked women were about 51 % of the population.

We could argue the merits up hill and down dale but I'd rather put a positive spin on a competition that I've really grown to enjoy and leave it at that.
Sorry that's BS. Stating that there is an overwhelming majority of below par talent in a so called 'elite' comp is not pushing them down, it's just being honest. WNBA, womens cricket, soccer etc do not have that gulf between the top end and bottom end talent. And why would I be more comfortable with the women being pushed down? :rolleyes: That's a fairly pointed accusation, you virtue signaling social justice warrior, you.

The minority was women's football participants and fans, of which there is far less than AFL fans.

That's fine, you carry on being as positive as you like and I'll continue on being a realist :thumbsupemoji:

Last edited:
Agree the talent is stretched too far.

But still good to watch and it is forcing a growth in high level players.

By going early the AFL has created a solid basis for the future, and shown the potential for girls/women to play at the highest level. This creates its own momentum IMHO.
Careful - You'll be labelled a sexist and a bigot if you say that publicly.

Yep, so would a strong state league and regular State of origin matches.

I have enjoyed watching the womens game, particularly since the Tigers got a side but I think they missed the mark badly with the promotion of AFLW.

If they had pushed the message of "come with us on this journey as we grow this game from grass roots " and acknowledged that it was not yet an elite product instead of demanding it be spoken of as elite from day one, I think a lot more people would have warmed to AFLW sooner.

Passionately shouting down anyone who dared to be slightly critical in any way hasn't helped the cause either.

There's a lot to like if you watch it with the right mindset and I reckon people don't like being treated like fools. Anyone watching AFLW can see that its got a long way to go and that's fine. Not sure why all the promotion needs to insist otherwise.

And who knows, twenty five years from now we might have a red hot draft prospect from the Conti or Brennan family line that's headed our way under the mother/son rule.

Lo
Sorry that's BS. Stating that there is an overwhelming majority of below par talent in a so called 'elite' comp is not pushing them down, it's just being honest. WNBA, womens cricket, soccer etc do not have that gulf between the top end and bottom end talent. And why would I be more comfortable with the women being pushed down? :rolleyes: That's a fairly pointed accusation, you virtue signaling social justice warrior, you.

The minority was women's football participants and fans, of which there is far less than AFL fans.

That's fine, you carry on being as positive as you like and I'll continue on being a realist :thumbsupemoji:
Lol the only thing you missed was calling me woke. I'm just trying to understand why you have such a problem with it. It's a shame you can't reconcile that these women ARE elite. The best female footballers in the country is what makes it elite. Surely you can understand the difference between elite men's and elite women's in this particular sport.

Then again maybe you can't.

If I'm a virtue signalling justice warrior lol you're just an grumpy old fart stuck in your ways. The 1950s are thataway lol

Careful - You'll be labelled a sexist and a bigot if you say that publicly.

Yep, so would a strong state league and regular State of origin matches.

Chill.

I'm a foundation AFLW member and really want the women's game to succeed.

It's obvious that the gap in standards is large. But also that the girls crack in so hard and as far as i can see go harder than the guys. I love watching contests and the girls give you that, all game. (that's why I hated AFLX, no contests).

Anyway, the problem is people saying 'AFLW sucks, the girls can't do it'. That is wrong.

But, in 10 - 20 years time I reckon Conti will be the average and the standard of play will be quite impressive. One thing that will be different is that the speed of the men's game won't be matched - not as big or strong. So, given the girls are as smart as the guys, the game will have work a bit differently. There will always be more time to set up the defense, but there will also be comparatively more space (in the same sized ground). It'll be very interesting to see how it evolves.

Father son rule ain't gonna work for us. If we have anyone decent coming through, there will be outrage and they'll change the rule.

Lo
Lol the only thing you missed was calling me woke. I'm just trying to understand why you have such a problem with it. It's a shame you can't reconcile that these women ARE elite. The best female footballers in the country is what makes it elite. Surely you can understand the difference between elite men's and elite women's in this particular sport.

Then again maybe you can't.

If I'm a virtue signalling justice warrior lol you're just an grumpy old fart stuck in your ways. The 1950s are thataway lol
I don't have a problem with it, didn't I just say I've been watching it? Did I not say Conti is a star? Yes, they are undoubtedly the best of the best, unfortunately that level of output doesn't even come close to matching the millions and millions of dollars being pumped into it and coverage that it gets. I understand the difference between the mens and womens comps. Am I not allowed to criticize the comp in which my club participates? I criticize the AFL and RFC when It's warranted, but god forbid we have a say about the AFLW.

Also, I'm in my early 30's mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back