Father & Son & Academy Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Chill.

I'm a foundation AFLW member and really want the women's game to succeed.

It's obvious that the gap in standards is large. But also that the girls crack in so hard and as far as i can see go harder than the guys. I love watching contests and the girls give you that, all game. (that's why I hated AFLX, no contests).

Anyway, the problem is people saying 'AFLW sucks, the girls can't do it'. That is wrong.

But, in 10 - 20 years time I reckon Conti will be the average and the standard of play will be quite impressive. One thing that will be different is that the speed of the men's game won't be matched - not as big or strong. So, given the girls are as smart as the guys, the game will have work a bit differently. There will always be more time to set up the defense, but there will also be comparatively more space (in the same sized ground). It'll be very interesting to see how it evolves.
Agree with all of that. Criticism doesn't equal 'AFLW sucks, the girls can't do it' though.

Do our girls get umpired the same biased dogturd way our boys do?

On SM-J250F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sadly yes. We were absolutely bent over in round one with a last minute of the game decision paid to Geelong that simply was not there. Then they let the wrong girl take the resulting free kick and shot at goal (AFL later admitted this). She was the best player Geelong had. She kicked the goal, it cost us the match and as it turns out a possible first home final at punt rd. Instead we now look likely to have to travel up to Brisbane for our first final. Sound familiar....

I don't have a problem with it, didn't I just say I've been watching it? Did I not say Conti is a star? Yes, they are undoubtedly the best of the best, unfortunately that level of output doesn't even come close to matching the millions and millions of dollars being pumped into it and coverage that it gets. I understand the difference between the mens and womens comps. Am I not allowed to criticize the comp in which my club participates? I criticize the AFL and RFC when It's warranted, but god forbid we have a say about the AFLW.

Also, I'm in my early 30's mate.
They’re putting the money in now because they see the advantage in it now and in the future. Blind Freddy can see it’s the next frontier for expansion and getting the jump on others sports will continue to cement the sport as the dominant league in the country

In terms of coverage it’s very easy to avoid if it’s such an issue for you. Also the output given for the levels of coverage is far better in the AFLW than what we are given for trade week

They’re putting the money in now because they see the advantage in it now and in the future. Blind Freddy can see it’s the next frontier for expansion and getting the jump on others sports will continue to cement the sport as the dominant league in the country

In terms of coverage it’s very easy to avoid if it’s such an issue for you. Also the output given for the levels of coverage is far better in the AFLW than what we are given for trade week
Why does every fan feel the need to blindly defend aflw? For the 3rd time, its not an issue for me and for the 3rd time I watch it occasionally.

All I've said is the talent has been stretched too far. * me you lot are hard work sometimes

I'm not sure where Groupie_ is getting their mail from but looking at the stats for the two boys as underagers in the NAB league Pat played one less game than Charlie has but did manage to average three more possessions per game

Obviously that's just stats but it would suggest they are pretty evenly placed at the same age
Pat was AA fwiw

Got a source for that?

Everything I have read has the girls numbers growing year over year but the boys numbers are that are showing a decline
It’s cos the new generation boys are transitioning into girls

Too many soy boys these days

Last edited:
I have enjoyed watching the womens game, particularly since the Tigers got a side but I think they missed the mark badly with the promotion of AFLW.

If they had pushed the message of "come with us on this journey as we grow this game from grass roots " and acknowledged that it was not yet an elite product instead of demanding it be spoken of as elite from day one, I think a lot more people would have warmed to AFLW sooner.

Passionately shouting down anyone who dared to be slightly critical in any way hasn't helped the cause either.

There's a lot to like if you watch it with the right mindset and I reckon people don't like being treated like fools. Anyone watching AFLW can see that its got a long way to go and that's fine. Not sure why all the promotion needs to insist otherwise.

And who knows, twenty five years from now we might have a red hot draft prospect from the Conti or Brennan family line that's headed our way under the mother/son rule.
I reckon Livingstone has done well with AFLW. 2017 8 teams. One per state. The Vic clubs included the Dogs who had that woman Alberti who was behind the foundation of it. Trying to work out a good time of year to play. Trying to work out sports rorts funding for toilets for the girls. I've watched the local Womens comp. NNSW My team is the tigers so that helps. Its not as good as the local mens but they go for it. Kicking distances affect it a lot. When they become full time, skills will improve

This local comp has actually produced a player, drafted by the Pies. A friends daughter plays for GWS so there's some interest there.

Livingstone Built to 14 teams, let them get their lists established. Then to 18. Thank goodness. RFC W team has just got its list together.
Playing the AFLW right now is excellent. During finals gaps in the mens comp and waiting for the draft.

I don't know Melboune's AFLW scene. Darebin's been around since 1990. I get RFC AFLW content through soc media, AFL website. I've never heard anyone discuss players relative to the comp they are in. I hate the term "star" used to describe anyone. Royce Hart & Dusty and now Mon doing NO 4 very proud. We have a lot of very good players and have drafted well this season. I watch it for the twins. Elllie a good pick up ditto Sheerin etc etc. The team making finals blew my mind. I thought we were years off it.

I tend to watch mens football games with no commentary. I leave it on for the girls cos I don't know em, and the pony tails don't help.

18 W teams is more TV content, Probs doesn't rate like mens footy. But I only watch my team play basically. So happy to have one more team of Tigers that I can watch.

Men and women should be paid more. F*n Gil !!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back