Father & Son & Academy Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

i really liked this excerpt:

"I like to watch games, so if I go to a Richmond game I will just watch their half-back and watch their running patterns," he said. "I pick out a position on each team that I watch. I change players each week pretty much. But I watch more of their positioning and what they do, the different players that play in the roles that I play."

seems he takes his personal development on the field pretty seriously. also mentions his priority going forward is to improve his inside game, which he straight-up admits is lacking. love the sound of him.

For those who want to see some of Naish (he's been all class in this game when he's been around it with his movement in traffic and cleanness most outstanding - I'd rate him as Northern's best in this game) here is a link to the final three quarters of Northern v Murray.

*Naish is 6 for Northern (white jumpers).

*Sound starts after half time.

i really liked this excerpt:

"I like to watch games, so if I go to a Richmond game I will just watch their half-back and watch their running patterns," he said. "I pick out a position on each team that I watch. I change players each week pretty much. But I watch more of their positioning and what they do, the different players that play in the roles that I play."

seems he takes his personal development on the field pretty seriously. also mentions his priority going forward is to improve his inside game, which he straight-up admits is lacking. love the sound of him.
* i wish he d stop with this crap, bring out the stories he loves nothing more than to get out with his mates and skate or go dirt bike riding, footy is just that , footy

For those who want to see some of Naish (he's been all class in this game when he's been around it with his movement in traffic and cleanness most outstanding - I'd rate him as Northern's best in this game) here is a link to the final three quarters of Northern v Murray.

Keep him low in your rankings ffs ;)

Keep him low in your rankings ffs ;)

You might not like my May power rankings then :D

Conceptually with father son picks, and same applies for those academy picks.

I'd on quality be hoping for as close to a pick 1 quality player as possible.

The father son system as with the academy you're getting a discount on a good talent.

It's like with the academy system. No one would be complaining about GWS and Sydney getting the best players through their academies (even under the current rules) if they were just adding players who would only be picked as rookies.

Keeping Naish hidden/keeping the hype down would no be a priority, instead getting him to advance his game as far as possible would be more what I'd be hoping for in Richmond's position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might not like my May power rankings then :D

Conceptually with father son picks, and same applies for those academy picks.

I'd on quality be hoping for as close to a pick 1 quality player as possible.

The father son system as with the academy you're getting a discount on a good talent.

It's like with the academy system. No one would be complaining about GWS and Sydney getting the best players through their academies (even under the current rules) if they were just adding players who would only be picked as rookies.

Keeping Naish hidden/keeping the hype down would no be a priority, instead getting him to advance his game as far as possible would be more what I'd be hoping for in Richmond's position.

Mostly agree. I want him to learn as much as possible this year and be the best player he can be when we sign him up.

Still, we have 2 1st rounders this draft, and it'd be nice if he came after them (if we don't trade them of course).

How do you rate Dave Smith?

How do you rate Dave Smith?

A possible draft choice.

His trick from the game I saw today is his run. Has serious speed and can take on the game with his speed/evasion. Interested to see more.

Worst case is we trade out our firsts and go into deficit on the next season. If Naish keeps rankings I think we should look at trading out of the draft hopefully bringing in 3 first round quality talents at the cost of all our picks, and fill the rest of the list with rookie promotions.

Worst case is we trade out our firsts and go into deficit on the next season. If Naish keeps rankings I think we should look at trading out of the draft hopefully bringing in 3 first round quality talents at the cost of all our picks, and fill the rest of the list with rookie promotions.
I was thinking along those lines too.
The thing is though (unless the rule has changed) other clubs don't have to place a bid on a F/S or Academy player until draft night (live draft). So we may not know if Naish will cost us a first or second round pick prior to draft night. I suppose we may have a fair idea if other clubs are intersted prior to draft night, but I'd hate to trade out our early picks (unless it's on quality young talent ie a 10 year player/s) if not necessary

Last edited:

Agree with that. Only difficulty is the trade period is obviously well before the draft. We should have a reasonable understanding of where Naish will likely be bidded on (i assume we will wait to match as opposed to actually selecting him with one of our picks). So there is a risk that we will make a move/ not make any moves, and Naish's draft position significantly changes post-trade period to our detriment.

But definitely agree with your thoughts.

Agree with that. Only difficulty is the trade period is obviously well before the draft. We should have a reasonable understanding of where Naish will likely be bidded on (i assume we will wait to match as opposed to actually selecting him with one of our picks). So there is a risk that we will make a move/ not make any moves, and Naish's draft position significantly changes post-trade period to our detriment.

But definitely agree with your thoughts.
Absolutely the worst thing that could happen is that Naish goes in the top 5 and we don't have a pick until the third round, which would wipe out a lot of our picks for the next season. Best case is he gets bid on around 15-20 and we only loose a late pick for the following year.

I was not a fan of trading for Prestia and definitely not for what we paid for him but it's done now, I think we now need to throw everything at a genuine flag crack within the next 3 seasons since we gave up our draft position. We need to have a go now as our best players are going to be playing their best football as a group. The we dream would be that we can trade for guys that can contribute in the seniors yet are still young enough they won't leave us with a gaping hole in the middle of our list. Guys with a few years in the system with some form who can fill a need.

Absolutely the worst thing that could happen is that Naish goes in the top 5

Although I completely understand the point you made after this....

When you stop and think about it, getting a father son if genuinely rated as a top 5 pick would be a good thing right?

No chance of late round 1 or a second because he is at the level of the top 5 in the country.

We get a discount and give up the picks. As long other trades are 'smart', we'll be looking good.

I wouldnt care one bit if we had to cough up decent picks if he went at pick 5.
We will have a top 5 player from the draft and best yet we know he will be a one club player and never want to leave.

I still believe FS selections should be allowed to play for their club at a heavily discounted price eg 2nd -5th round pick depending on their ability. At the moment there's a 20% discount but that's not enough imo. The romance of playing for your father's club should be available to all players and clubs shouldn't be put in the difficult position of having to match bids from other clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back