Father & Son & Academy Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

MJ was not named in the Flying Boomerang squad (most impressive indigenous players from the diversity carnival). So what form is all this excitement based on?

Think its part of the joke going over the top with MJ because he is Maurice's son (similar to Richo's unborn child). The majority of us realise to even make AFL he has a long way to go, including probably moving to Victoria for boarding school (like Cyril and Daniel) a huge step for a young kid, let alone become a decent AFL player.

This weekend went to Wangaratta, to see the in laws. :(

Anyway, Murray Bushrangers were playing, so i thought i would go and see our academy player Dave Smith.

Positives
Super quick. Most likely the fastest player on the field.
Kicked quite well. Kicked a few goals.
Stood under a high ball with two Western Jet players running toward him.
Burnt off his opponent to kick a goal.

Negatives
Really needs to understand how to play and position himself on the field. Was constantly in the wrong spot when their was a stoppage.
When the ball was coming into the forward line he was either to far or just not presenting. A little lazy.
An outside player that didn't apply forward pressure.
A lot of work needs to be done, has the athletic ability, now needs to be taught how to play.

From what i saw, Rookie list at best.

Knightmare Just a quick question, who is number 31 for Bushies? Wilson?
Played a fantastic game as a mid/forward. Is he a chance to be drafted and around what draft pick?

Anyway, Murray Bushrangers were playing, so i thought i would go and see our academy player Dave Smith.

Positives

Negatives
Really needs to understand how to play and position himself on the field. Was constantly in the wrong spot when their was a stoppage.
When the ball was coming into the forward line he was either to far or just not presenting. A little lazy.
A lot of work needs to be done, has the athletic ability, now needs to be taught how to play.

Played a fantastic game as a mid/forward. Is he a chance to be drafted and around what draft pick?
unsurprising for me; these academy kids aren't meant to be guaranteed stars a la the Northern academies, these kids are supposed to be the ones that without the academies would be a long shot at getting drafted in the first place

Positives

Negatives

31 for Bushies is Jessy Wilson. He wouldn't be more than a late/ rookie on a small few draft boards I wouldn't have thought. He hasn't starred in any Murray games I've seen nor has he been someone I've heard spoken about to this point.

--
As for Smith who you mention. For another opinion.

Super quick/agile/evasive. Takes on the game. Just doesn't do enough often enough to impact games for mine. Rookie at best is accurate based on what I've seen to date.

31 for Bushies is Jessy Wilson. He wouldn't be more than a late/ rookie on a small few draft boards I wouldn't have thought. He hasn't starred in any Murray games I've seen nor has he been someone I've heard spoken about to this point.

--
As for Smith who you mention. For another opinion.

Super quick/agile/evasive. Takes on the game. Just doesn't do enough often enough to impact games for mine. Rookie at best is accurate based on what I've seen to date.

Thanks Knightmare, look forward to your draft analysis throughout the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maurice Rioli Jr is a no brainer,must get him,will be blasphemy if we don't.

SEN already debating whether we should keep father and son now fully aware that Rioli is waiting in the wings.

If the AFL change the ruling,before we get Rioli,then it will concrete in my mind that the game is corrupt.

Maurice Rioli Jr is a no brainer,must get him,will be blasphemy if we don't.

SEN already debating whether we should keep father and son now fully aware that Rioli is waiting in the wings.

If the AFL change the ruling,before we get Rioli,then it will concrete in my mind that the game is corrupt.
Worse still would be Richo having a son and watching him go to The Drugos.

The AFL have listed the multi-cultural and indigenous prospects for each club.

RICHMOND
2017 Draft eligible:

Derek Smith (2016/17), Mildura, Indigenous
David Smith (2017), Shepparton, Indigenous
Anthony Walker (2017), Kialla, Indigenous
Others:
Ajak Dang (2018), Mooroopna, Multicultural
Kyle Clarke (2018), Shepparton, Indigenous
Phillip Moi Moi (2018), Robinvale, Multicultural
Kailen Walker (2018), Red Cliffs, Indigenous
Hugo Ingham (2019), Shepparton, Multicultural
Peter Clarke (2019), Mildura, Indigenous
Kobe Brown (2019), Mildura, Indigenous
Masang Dang (2020), Mooroopna, Multicultural
Abel Conners (2020), Shepparton, Multicultural
Nathan Louw (2023), Swan Hill, Multicultural

There are few names that are missing Ramman Winmar (2018). Rhys Damon (2019), Will Dwyer (2020), Achoung Agog (2020), Kris Pele(2020). Possibly have not been submitted for approval yet or maybe overlooked by the club. This is from the article on the AFL web site:

The list is a rolling group, with more names set to be added as the year goes on and more players are identified by clubs. An AFL committee rules on each prospect's eligibility before the group is officially updated.

Would hope for quality as well as quantity. It would be a good result if our NGA zone produced same quality as last year (a first round pick and 2 third round picks).

If you add in father-son selections there should lots of talent that we can bid on in upcoming drafts.

2017 Patrick Naish, Joshua Broderick (Northern Knights), Paddy Turner (GWV Rebels / Ararat), Bailey Lambert (Brisbane Lions Academy / Morningside)
2019 Zac Knights (Geelong Falcons), Xavier Naish (Northern Knights)
2020 Maurice Rioli Jnr, Bodey Lambert
2023 Charlie Naish

Last edited:
Lambert kicked another goal for the lions academy on the weekend. Anyone know his height and position he plays? I cant find anything.
If Brisbane is teaching him how to play then we should probably let them keep him :oops:

Bishop You know much about Lambert?

Bailey LAMBERT 7/5/1999 181cm 80kg

Watched him play against NT and he didn't do a lot - but that's the only time I think I've seen him play. Generally if you're any good you'll stand out and be in the bests. The standard of some of the U18 Academy Series games were very poor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back