Father & Son & Academy Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

.....when he does gets involved, he just moves so explosively. A lot to like...

Saw the APS Division 1 Scotch v Xavier today.

Xavier were too strong, Scotch forward entry broke down.

My nephew played well. But moving on to Maurice Junior, one of the parents there commented that MJ has too many expectations on him and its having an effect. And you could see that today, every move followed by the crowd, and at times he tried the spectacular or didn't get into it. Lot of fanboys wanting a piece of him too.

MJ seemed a little sore, but still had around half-a-dozen trademark "Rioli" moments, including a goal from the boundary pocket that made you ask for the replay....

IMO he is a certainty to get drafted by us and in the right environment will reach the sort of potential expected. But the school football fishbowl is hard and has a lot of challenges for any kid, especially for a boy from TIWI.

On another player, the biggest LOL moment came from Son of SOS, playing for Xavier. Young Ben Silvagni, played on from a mark and running into goal from 1M out got pushed off the ball and kicked fresh air. He then spat the dummy and gave away a free, and then a 50M, and then got rag-dolled, and then was dragged. Much to the mirth of the crowd. Now that I would like to see again on replay...

Last edited:
Good post , not sure why so many consider a f/s prospect a dead set given to make the cut , dunno how many even Fail to get drafted , take matty knights son for example or Craig Lambert’s boy. Tis a long road to hoe, best of luck to the kid , hope he’s enjoying his stay in Melbourne boarding away from his Tiwi island home

Some notes on Clarke from afldraftcentral over the last 3 weeks games with the Murray Bushrangers. The match reports usually only list 3 players from each team.

Round 5
#28 Kyle Clarke

(19 disposals, five tackles and five clearances) booted a goal and made his presence known through the middle of the ground.
For a smaller player, Clarke is really strong overhead. He took a number of really good marks and converted a set shot from 20m out in the third term and let everyone know how much he enjoyed it. He racked up quite a few clearances but the one knock for me is he can throw it on the boot at times and just aim for space. He is best when running in space because he lowers the eyes and hits up target going forward. Has good speed on the outside, Clarke attacks the footy hard and wins his own ball at the same time. A highlight was a great grab in front of the goals going back with the flight which led to his set shot goal.

Round 6
#28 Kyle Clarke

Clarke was one of many impressive cogs through the Murray midfield and forward line. He looked lively wherever he went and in particular, created some good opportunities for his side in the forward half. Clarke’s work at the stoppages was notable as he was constantly on the move, allowing him to generate shots on goal from nothing. Despite failing to sink one through the big sticks, Clarke’s impact was notable and his clean use was outstanding in tough conditions.

Round 7
#28 Kyle Clarke

The biggest point from Clarke’s game is that he is an exciting footballer to watch. On the wing, Clarke was crafty and slick, breaking lines and throwing off his opponents with stutters, fakes, spins and quick passes. His agility is great in close and his skill work polished, but his highlights don’t appear as much as we’d like. A unique talent, Clarke showed off his prowess by somehow caressing an around the body goal off a step, under pressure, while falling forward. There might have been a sprinkle of luck in there, but it all looked quite natural.

kyle-clarke-of-the-bushrangers-handballs-during-the-round-four-tac-picture-id671817824

Before people ask....yes, he is short. Listed as 174cm last year and I can't find any info on this year's measurements.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Some notes on Clarke from afldraftcentral over the last 3 weeks games with the Murray Bushrangers. The match reports usually only list 3 players from each team.

Round 5
#28 Kyle Clarke

(19 disposals, five tackles and five clearances) booted a goal and made his presence known through the middle of the ground.
For a smaller player, Clarke is really strong overhead. He took a number of really good marks and converted a set shot from 20m out in the third term and let everyone know how much he enjoyed it. He racked up quite a few clearances but the one knock for me is he can throw it on the boot at times and just aim for space. He is best when running in space because he lowers the eyes and hits up target going forward. Has good speed on the outside, Clarke attacks the footy hard and wins his own ball at the same time. A highlight was a great grab in front of the goals going back with the flight which led to his set shot goal.

Round 6
#28 Kyle Clarke

Clarke was one of many impressive cogs through the Murray midfield and forward line. He looked lively wherever he went and in particular, created some good opportunities for his side in the forward half. Clarke’s work at the stoppages was notable as he was constantly on the move, allowing him to generate shots on goal from nothing. Despite failing to sink one through the big sticks, Clarke’s impact was notable and his clean use was outstanding in tough conditions.

Round 7
#28 Kyle Clarke

The biggest point from Clarke’s game is that he is an exciting footballer to watch. On the wing, Clarke was crafty and slick, breaking lines and throwing off his opponents with stutters, fakes, spins and quick passes. His agility is great in close and his skill work polished, but his highlights don’t appear as much as we’d like. A unique talent, Clarke showed off his prowess by somehow caressing an around the body goal off a step, under pressure, while falling forward. There might have been a sprinkle of luck in there, but it all looked quite natural.

kyle-clarke-of-the-bushrangers-handballs-during-the-round-four-tac-picture-id671817824

Before people ask....yes, he is short. Listed as 174cm last year and I can't find any info on this year's measurements.
Undoubtedly will draft this kid , the type we love to stockpile

Zach Knights played his first game for the Falcons. 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 handball receives, 2 marks and 4 tackles. Technically his an “over ager “ but if he was born 2 days (I think) later this would be his draft year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LATE-developing Geelong Falcon Zac Knights has come a long way from the tough induction to pre-season training at the start of last year. Knights, son of champion 279-game Richmond midfielder Matthew Knights, made an instant impression in his TAC Cup debut last weekend for his dogged lockdown role down back against Gippsland Power.

“His development and growth has been astronomical,” Falcons coach Daniel O’Keefe said. “I remember his first couple of training sessions with us 18 months ago. “He literally couldn’t finish off the running, was dehydrated and ended up vomiting a couple of times. “It wasn’t due to a lack of effort, in fact it was the contrary. It was all so new to him.”

As a potential father-son option for the Tigers, the Falcons are determined to give Knights, 18, every opportunity to develop into a draftable prospect. While there is a bit of the old man in the way Knights runs with the footy, they are different types of players, with Zac likely to carve out his season as a small defender.

At 184cm and 70kg, the St Joseph’s junior is yet to fill out but he is what O’Keefe describes as “a delight to coach”. “Zac is that player that everyone at the club loves, simply as he draws respect from that way he goes about his footy,” he said. “A real student of the game and loves learning. “He is a grinder, gut-runner and pure role player, which he proved on the weekend in his debut. Didn’t lose a contest nor miss a target.”

Knights is proud to wear the 33 made famous by his father, even if he laughs that “Mick Turner stitched me up here”. “Obviously Dad’s been an excellent footballer and he’s helped me out a lot in my game, with tips and skills and how to play the game, as I wasn’t a natural footballer to start with,” Knights said.
“He’s been a big part of my journey and I’m honoured to wear the same number as he does.”

Young Knights was two years old when Matthew retired in 2002, but he has been made well aware of his dad’s exploits. “He loves getting out the 1995 semi-final against Essendon when he kicked a few snags and had a good game,” he said with a smile. “They got up against the arch enemy, so that’s the game he loves to bring out.”

Knights knows he has plenty of development left in his game, but he is determined to take his footy as far as it can go. “Obviously you aim for the top, but at the moment I’m setting smaller goals, that’s probably the better thing for myself,” he said.

“Probably every week on the training track I set goals on where I need to improve. Obviously everyone wants to make the top level, but that doesn’t happen for everyone, so I just want to be the best footballer I can be and do the best I can to help the team win week in, week out, which is probably the most important thing.”

LATE-developing Geelong Falcon Zac Knights has come a long way from the tough induction to pre-season training at the start of last year. Knights, son of champion 279-game Richmond midfielder Matthew Knights, made an instant impression in his TAC Cup debut last weekend for his dogged lockdown role down back against Gippsland Power.

“His development and growth has been astronomical,” Falcons coach Daniel O’Keefe said. “I remember his first couple of training sessions with us 18 months ago. “He literally couldn’t finish off the running, was dehydrated and ended up vomiting a couple of times. “It wasn’t due to a lack of effort, in fact it was the contrary. It was all so new to him.”

As a potential father-son option for the Tigers, the Falcons are determined to give Knights, 18, every opportunity to develop into a draftable prospect. While there is a bit of the old man in the way Knights runs with the footy, they are different types of players, with Zac likely to carve out his season as a small defender.

At 184cm and 70kg, the St Joseph’s junior is yet to fill out but he is what O’Keefe describes as “a delight to coach”. “Zac is that player that everyone at the club loves, simply as he draws respect from that way he goes about his footy,” he said. “A real student of the game and loves learning. “He is a grinder, gut-runner and pure role player, which he proved on the weekend in his debut. Didn’t lose a contest nor miss a target.”

Knights is proud to wear the 33 made famous by his father, even if he laughs that “Mick Turner stitched me up here”. “Obviously Dad’s been an excellent footballer and he’s helped me out a lot in my game, with tips and skills and how to play the game, as I wasn’t a natural footballer to start with,” Knights said.
“He’s been a big part of my journey and I’m honoured to wear the same number as he does.”

Young Knights was two years old when Matthew retired in 2002, but he has been made well aware of his dad’s exploits. “He loves getting out the 1995 semi-final against Essendon when he kicked a few snags and had a good game,” he said with a smile. “They got up against the arch enemy, so that’s the game he loves to bring out.”

Knights knows he has plenty of development left in his game, but he is determined to take his footy as far as it can go. “Obviously you aim for the top, but at the moment I’m setting smaller goals, that’s probably the better thing for myself,” he said.

“Probably every week on the training track I set goals on where I need to improve. Obviously everyone wants to make the top level, but that doesn’t happen for everyone, so I just want to be the best footballer I can be and do the best I can to help the team win week in, week out, which is probably the most important thing.”
Eligible for this years draft? Nice cheap pick up and let him develop. The apple never falls far from the tree if he has the right attitude which it sounds like he does he will make it. Nice position as well we dont have many small defenders developing in the 2s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back