Father & Son & Academy Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

LATE-developing Geelong Falcon Zac Knights has come a long way from the tough induction to pre-season training at the start of last year. Knights, son of champion 279-game Richmond midfielder Matthew Knights, made an instant impression in his TAC Cup debut last weekend for his dogged lockdown role down back against Gippsland Power.

“His development and growth has been astronomical,” Falcons coach Daniel O’Keefe said. “I remember his first couple of training sessions with us 18 months ago. “He literally couldn’t finish off the running, was dehydrated and ended up vomiting a couple of times. “It wasn’t due to a lack of effort, in fact it was the contrary. It was all so new to him.”

As a potential father-son option for the Tigers, the Falcons are determined to give Knights, 18, every opportunity to develop into a draftable prospect. While there is a bit of the old man in the way Knights runs with the footy, they are different types of players, with Zac likely to carve out his season as a small defender.

At 184cm and 70kg, the St Joseph’s junior is yet to fill out but he is what O’Keefe describes as “a delight to coach”. “Zac is that player that everyone at the club loves, simply as he draws respect from that way he goes about his footy,” he said. “A real student of the game and loves learning. “He is a grinder, gut-runner and pure role player, which he proved on the weekend in his debut. Didn’t lose a contest nor miss a target.”

Knights is proud to wear the 33 made famous by his father, even if he laughs that “Mick Turner stitched me up here”. “Obviously Dad’s been an excellent footballer and he’s helped me out a lot in my game, with tips and skills and how to play the game, as I wasn’t a natural footballer to start with,” Knights said.
“He’s been a big part of my journey and I’m honoured to wear the same number as he does.”

Young Knights was two years old when Matthew retired in 2002, but he has been made well aware of his dad’s exploits. “He loves getting out the 1995 semi-final against Essendon when he kicked a few snags and had a good game,” he said with a smile. “They got up against the arch enemy, so that’s the game he loves to bring out.”

Knights knows he has plenty of development left in his game, but he is determined to take his footy as far as it can go. “Obviously you aim for the top, but at the moment I’m setting smaller goals, that’s probably the better thing for myself,” he said.

“Probably every week on the training track I set goals on where I need to improve. Obviously everyone wants to make the top level, but that doesn’t happen for everyone, so I just want to be the best footballer I can be and do the best I can to help the team win week in, week out, which is probably the most important thing.”
Sounds like tha exact sort we like to draft, hard worker with a good head on his shoulders who understands just how hard it is to make it in the AFL.

No way...there's another Rioli...

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-09/two-riolis-and-a-long-to-play-for-nt-under16s

A forward line of Rioli's... noice!!
"(Brayden and Maurice) are totally different players," Campbell told AFL.com.au.
"Maurice loves to get in and under and tackle and put pressure on, whereas Brayden is your typical Tiwi Islands player who loves a goal and has that X-factor about him.
"They know the history. I'm sure Maurice Rioli will deal with the pressure of being a Rioli and the footsteps to follow, but he turns up and works hard.

"He's not out there saying, 'Give me the ball, because I'm a Rioli'. He's out there saying, 'Hey, I'm your teammate, I'm going to help you win'.

Me likey

Kyle Clarke was named in the best again for the Bushragers in their loss on Saturday.

Worth noting that a lot of teams best players are out for the U18 Championships atm.

"(Brayden and Maurice) are totally different players," Campbell told AFL.com.au.
"Maurice loves to get in and under and tackle and put pressure on, whereas Brayden is your typical Tiwi Islands player who loves a goal and has that X-factor about him.
"They know the history. I'm sure Maurice Rioli will deal with the pressure of being a Rioli and the footsteps to follow, but he turns up and works hard.

"He's not out there saying, 'Give me the ball, because I'm a Rioli'. He's out there saying, 'Hey, I'm your teammate, I'm going to help you win'.

Me likey

One of the Rioli’s named in the bests in their loss in Round 1. Unsure if it was Junior or Brayden.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-12/u16-division-two-championships-kick-off

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
After this season only 2 more years to wait until MJ arrives.

Hopefully can win a few more flags just to kill the time. :D
giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Didn’t someone in the Daniel Rioli thread say that whoever had the Tiwi Island zone would have the best chance to grab Daniel’s brother if he goes into the draft?

Would be nice to have 3 Rioli’s running around in the yellow and black one day though. :(

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
When is Brayden eligible for draft
Article said he was 16 now. So 2020?
Be interesting to know which Rioli was in the bests. I'm tipping the younger Maurice, and he's the gun and reason he was sent to Melb. Dan's brother may be back a bit and decided it best to continue living up north and enjoy life playing footy up there.
No rush imo... bring him down when he's ready and let him hang with the brother and cousin and slot him into the vfl if necesssary.

Or he may suddenly start impacting hugely once his body fills out more.

Didn’t someone in the Daniel Rioli thread say that whoever had the Tiwi Island zone would have the best chance to grab Daniel’s brother if he goes into the draft?

Would be nice to have 3 Rioli’s running around in the yellow and black one day though. :(
Essendon will have Academy rights to Daniels brother

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Article said he was 16 now. So 2020?
Be interesting to know which Rioli was in the bests. I'm tipping the younger Maurice, and he's the gun and reason he was sent to Melb. Dan's brother may be back a bit and decided it best to continue living up north and enjoy life playing footy up there.
No rush imo... bring him down when he's ready and let him hang with the brother and cousin and slot him into the vfl if necesssary.

Or he may suddenly start impacting hugely once his body fills out more.
Lets hope he flies under the rader and we get
1st Round pick - Gun Kid
2nd round pick - MRJ (matching bid)
3rd Round pick - Dan's Bro

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Clubs interview all potential recruits. As others have done, he would just need to tell them during the interviews... even before, during academy visits..

"you are drug cheats... I don't want to play with you!!"
Or rock up to meet them having a f** and pissed

Back