List Mgmt. Father / Son / Daughter Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Would our defensive efficiency be helped throughout the post 1st Geelong game come partially from playing lesser teams.
It seems to me when we've lost against better teams our defense was not too great. 2nd Geelong, West Coast.
Edit: we were also soundly beaten over the entire ground. Contested marking was a clear problem in both games. Would be interesting to know the average heights of the teams as we looked small v Geelong especially.
Geelong are tallest team in league 2+ cms above us on average

How many coaches are making changes at half time etc rather than just getting players to do better at the gameplan? The old days of Sheedy completing changing the side around at half time are over. All the hard work is done by the coaching staff during the week, not during the game. People need to realise that.
That's a cop out though. We stuck to our guns because everyone else does nowadays and lost honourably.

There's no proof at all that this is the best system. Surely there's more to game day coaching than just telling the guys to play better.

Geelong are tallest team in league 2+ cms above us on average
Many sides have shown you have to either run your way with handball past the cats zone and then kick long to a 2 on 2. Gives you more of a chance to firstly get the ball in your end and score and secondly get repeat entries as if you allow the cats the intercept too much they will keep the ball down their end. If you dont allow it they become an average side capable of being beaten by carlton etc. Accurate kicking also helpful.. which is why seedsman would be handy. Instead we have mackay kick it long to an outnumbered contest and we wonder why we cant beat them.

That's a cop out though. We stuck to our guns because everyone else does nowadays and lost honourably.

There's no proof at all that this is the best system. Surely there's more to game day coaching than just telling the guys to play better.

Of course, but we don't see wholesale changes to teams like sometimes used to happen.

You spend 8 months training how to play then supposed to throw that out because you are behind in a game and start again

Some people are hilarious

Re Geelong - the second time we played them we failed to follow our game plan which involves fast transition and at times taking calculated risks with ball movement

The forward line also failed to present up at the ball carrier and this became even more of a problem when the ball movement was cumbersome as meant there were limited over the back goals
IIRC we said after the 2nd Geelong game that we changed our normal game plan to be more conservative, more kicks down the line, and perhaps that was a mistake. That we recognised that during last quarter and opened things up a bit but too late.

IIRC we said after the 2nd Geelong game that we changed our normal game plan to be more conservative, more kicks down the line, and perhaps that was a mistake. That we recognised that during last quarter and opened things up a bit but too late.
Slowing things down and kicking long down the line is the exact opposite of what we should be doing against them. Dumb coaching.

Slowing things down and kicking long down the line is the exact opposite of what we should be doing against them. Dumb coaching.

Kicking long down the line is not something we should be doing against ANY team. It's an outdated game plan that will get destroyed by how the game is played now, even if it wasn't we don't have the cattle for that sort of plan.

Kicking long down the line is not something we should be doing against ANY team. It's an outdated game plan that will get destroyed by how the game is played now, even if it wasn't we don't have the cattle for that sort of plan.
No chance the Pyke instructed them to play like that. The conditions and the opposition stifled our normal attacking instincts and we went into our shells.

There are times when you need to kick long down the line. Square the contest, force a stoppage - like the good teams do when under the pump. Reset. Go again. There aren't always going to be free options in the corridor or opportunities to run the footy by hand.

Unfortunately our down the line options - Jenkins, Lynch and Walker - are all poor in a pack situation when they're outnumbered. Only McGovern and Betts ( :rolleyes: ) have the ability to bring the ball to ground when they're outnumbered. And just as crucially, we are utterly abysmal at crumbing the ball off packs anywhere between the F50 and the D50.

There are times when you need to kick long down the line. Square the contest, force a stoppage - like the good teams do when under the pump. Reset. Go again. There aren't always going to be free options in the corridor or opportunities to run the footy by hand.

Unfortunately our down the line options - Jenkins, Lynch and Walker - are all poor in a pack situation when they're outnumbered. Only McGovern and Betts ( :rolleyes: ) have the ability to bring the ball to ground when they're outnumbered. And just as crucially, we are utterly abysmal at crumbing the ball off packs anywhere between the F50 and the D50.
So are you suggesting we need a contested marking mid? :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any personal trainers in here? I know if you're slow you're slow, but how much can be done to put a bit of spring in the step of a guy like Ben? Maybe just a couple good steps out of a pack, that sort of thing?

Any personal trainers in here? I know if you're slow you're slow, but how much can be done to put a bit of spring in the step of a guy like Ben? Maybe just a couple good steps out of a pack, that sort of thing?

Yeh, do a bit of this and athletics coaching.

Its all to do with the muscles. Youve either got fast twitch, or slow twitch. Think Judd, Gaz Snr, Dangerfield. All fast twitch muscles. Then think Greg Williams, Matt Crouch, Darren Jarmen. All slow twitch.

Sure, you can train and get speed, but nothing like being a natural. If he can get it 30 times a game, then leg speed may not be such a factor.

Yeh, do a bit of this and athletics coaching.

Its all to do with the muscles. Youve either got fast twitch, or slow twitch. Think Judd, Gaz Snr, Dangerfield. All fast twitch muscles. Then think Greg Williams, Matt Crouch, Darren Jarmen. All slow twitch.

Sure, you can train and get speed, but nothing like being a natural. If he can get it 30 times a game, then leg speed may not be such a factor.

Out of curiosity how do you work out what type someone has?

Have Used soft sand running to improve leg speed, and sprint running in knee deep water, Also aided in lateral movement. These days they use over sized rubber bands, sleds and static weight pulls. Personally I feel it slows down the first movement but is great for power techniques.
To get an extra yard out of Ben they may work on body shaping
I am not a personal trainer so its only opinion.

Out of curiosity how do you work out what type someone has?

Most of the time its pretty obvious. With a footy player, watch them in traffic, leg speed from basically standing still. How quick they gather the ball, then get rid of it to a player in a better position.
But in saying that, look at A & D Jarman. They has all the time in the world with the ball and didnt need the leg speed.

With an athlete, its even more obvious. How quick can they get out of the blocks? Depending on age, what can they run the 100m in?
I coach my lad. He is barley average over 100m, but excels in 400m and 1500m.

Wasn't everyone saying he was a third rounder? And they were saying they were excited because they wanted us to finally get a F/S?

I'll be happy to get him, and happy for the club to say we're not interested.

Same. I'm not fussed either way. If he was a genuine top 8 player I would be gutted but he doesn't sound like much to be honest.

Most of the time its pretty obvious. With a footy player, watch them in traffic, leg speed from basically standing still. How quick they gather the ball, then get rid of it to a player in a better position.
But in saying that, look at A & D Jarman. They has all the time in the world with the ball and didnt need the leg speed.

With an athlete, its even more obvious. How quick can they get out of the blocks? Depending on age, what can they run the 100m in?
I coach my lad. He is barley average over 100m, but excels in 400m and 1500m.

Curious and of topic, but are there many taller kids getting into sprinting,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back