Father/Son - Hits and Misses

Remove this Banner Ad

Lime22

Senior List
Jan 7, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was talking to a Tiger mate and this topic came up. We joke about how both of us could have got the Clokes but he said they refused to have Jason and Cam as part of the package.

Anyway he is very unhappy with David Bourke and Mark Pitura. He reckons that Pitura owed them because of a deal done in the past. He liked Joel Bowden.

For us, I think we stuffed up with Brad Oborne, Jaxon Barham and Brayden Shaw. I cannot remember Shaw's son playing a game.

I am happy with the ones at the club atm and think there will be a new Daics in a few years time.

Can anybody else think of some hits and misses?

Josh Daicos probably only has this year to show something. I can't tell whether he just hasn't been played consistently at senior level and that's the issue, or if he is a Crocker type who excels in the twos but can't quite cut it in the AFL.

Jason Cloke had 1 or 2 really good years.Cam was pedestrian. Jaxson B. Showed promise but didn't seem committed.
Bob Rose son was the big tragedy ...
Jury still out on Daicos.
Neville Shaw (not F/S) brother of Tony and Ray was rumoured to be the best... went off of the rails

• Banned
Jason Cloke had 1 or 2 really good years.Cam was pedestrian. Jaxson B. Showed promise but didn't seem committed.
Bob Rose son was the big tragedy ...
Jury still out on Daicos.
Neville Shaw (not F/S) brother of Tony and Ray was rumoured to be the best... went off of the rails
I think that Robert Rose was a really good cricketer. And you may be right about Josh but they might keep him until we get Nicholas.

I was talking to a Tiger mate and this topic came up. We joke about how both of us could have got the Clokes but he said they refused to have Jason and Cam as part of the package.

Anyway he is very unhappy with David Bourke and Mark Pitura. He reckons that Pitura owed them because of a deal done in the past. He liked Joel Bowden.

For us, I think we stuffed up with Brad Oborne, Jaxon Barham and Brayden Shaw. I cannot remember Shaw's son playing a game.

I am happy with the ones at the club atm and think there will be a new Daics in a few years time.

I love the father-son rule. I wasn't happy when the qualification mark changed from 50 to 100 games. Especially now the players can be bid on in the draft and a "fair price" has to be paid for them. I think they were just pandering to the whingers in making that change! It largely comes down to luck, with some clubs having had lots of success with it, others (e.g. Hawthorn and St Kilda) having very little. Geelong and the Western Bulldogs have done brilliantly.

I'd say we've done very well, though there's been a fair few flops. We have 5 F/S players currently on our books so that represents a fair chunk of our list. Nick Davis and Rhyce Shaw were two others who did well for us, with Travis Cloke and Heath Shaw the biggest success stories in the "draft era". Brayden Shaw didn't play a senior game for us. Ernie Hug jnr. also failed to register a game.

Richmond did very well out of Matthew Richardson.

Not sure if this helps your research into a very fascinating subject.
Awesome Post.

• Banned
I love the father-son rule. I wasn't happy when the qualification mark changed from 50 to 100 games. Especially now the players can be bid on in the draft and a "fair price" has to be paid for them. I think they were just pandering to the whingers in making that change! It largely comes down to luck, with some clubs having had lots of success with it, others (e.g. Hawthorn and St Kilda) having very little. Geelong and the Western Bulldogs have done brilliantly.

I'd say we've done very well, though there's been a fair few flops. We have 5 F/S players currently on our books so that represents a fair chunk of our list. Nick Davis and Rhyce Shaw were two others who did well for us, with Travis Cloke and Heath Shaw the biggest success stories in the "draft era". Brayden Shaw didn't play a senior game for us. Ernie Hug jnr. also failed to register a game.

Richmond did very well out of Matthew Richardson.
Yes, my mate thinks Matty was their best but he also reckons that he was bloody frustrating at times.

And of course I would have to say that Heath and Trav have been our best.

If you look at the crop today, Daics, the Browns and Kelly all had dads who won flags with us.

Only Darcy has a dad who failed to win a flag. I hope that motivates him to go for bragging rights.

I think I read that Ernie Hug's dad got felled by a tree.

Yes, my mate thinks Matty was their best but he also reckons that he was bloody frustrating at times.

And of course I would have to say that Heath and Trav have been our best.

If you look at the crop today, Daics, the Browns and Kelly all had dads who won flags with us.

Only Darcy has a dad who failed to win a flag. I hope that motivates him to go for bragging rights.

I think I read that Ernie Hug's dad got felled by a tree.
Ernie Hug (snr.) died aged just 34. It's described as a tractor accident here: https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/players/ernie-hug/

One of his sons (brother of Ernie jnr.) died after being injured in a football game: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Ernie_Hug

The full list of players we've recruited under the father-son rule (since the draft came in):
Heath Shephard
Ernie Hug jnr. *
Nick Davis
Brad Oborne
Rhyce Shaw
Jason Cloke
Cameron Cloke
Brayden Shaw *
Heath Shaw
Travis Cloke
Jaxson Barham
Darcy Moore
Callum L. Brown
Josh Daicos
Tyler Brown *
Will Kelly *

Last edited:
The other way to look at it playing for your fathers team in the vfl/afl is a success and not a miss.
Don Bradmans son comes to mind re cricket.
I think he ended up changing his name to Bradson.

So compared with some clubs we have had quite a few saddle up for us.

Geelong has been a bit blessed. clokescult.PNG It is unique to have 3 line up at the 1 club.

The other way to look at it playing for your fathers team in the vfl/afl is a success and not a miss.
Don Bradmans son comes to mind re cricket.
I don't know of any other sport that comes close to Australian Football as far as parents who were successful players having children going on to do well in the same sport is concerned. Cricket, soccer, tennis, you name it, it's pretty much unique, I'd say! Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf don't even seem to have produced star tennis players from their union!!

I don't know of any other sport that comes close to Australian Football as far as parents who were successful players having children going on to do well in the same sport is concerned. Cricket, soccer, tennis, you name it, it's pretty much unique, I'd say! Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf don't even seem to have produced star tennis players from their union!!
Yes this is an interesting point but I am pretty sure that Graf and AA discouraged their kids from playing tennis.

Maybe it's easier to replicate the skills or athleticism in our game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes this is an interesting point but I am pretty sure that Graf and AA discouraged their kids from playing tennis.

Maybe it's easier to replicate the skills or athleticism in our game.
Apparently they have a son who is a well-rated baseball prospect, but I mostly brought their names up for a bit of a joke!

I don't know what the theory behind it is, but our sport does certainly produce a lot of father-son success stories.

This should be the full list of all Collingwood father-son players (who have played senior football) over the years:
View attachment 806384
Many of these players were recruited before the f-s rule came in.

Do Grandsons count? David Twomey played a few games, he was Bill Snr's grandson.

And you forgot Nifty Neville Shaw!

And what about the Richards boys? They were Charlie Pannam's grandsons?

And you forgot Nifty Neville Shaw!

And what about the Richards boys? They were Charlie Pannam's grandsons?
Not at all! Neville's name doesn't belong there. That's simply meant to show Collingwood father-son combinations. Ray was the father (shown in the 2nd column), his sons Rhyce and Heath are shown in the next two columns. Obviously Neville was a brother to Ray (and Tony). If the father of those three brothers had played senior football for Collingwood then that would be on a separate row!

Do Grandsons count? David Twomey played a few games, he was Bill Snr's grandson.
There'd be plenty of grandfather-grandson combinations.

Fred Keays/Terry Keays

Jim Sharp GGF of Paul Seedsman.
Charlie Norris was Will Hoskin-Elliott's GGGF.

Last edited:
Our biggest fu** up was not taking Liam Picken.

if that is our biggest FU then it is hardly concerning. He was a good serviceable player who had about 5 years of really good football, including a flag. But doubt he regularly finished in their B&F top 10 or got anywhere near AA consideration.

if that is our biggest FU then it is hardly concerning. He was a good serviceable player who had about 5 years of really good football, including a flag. But doubt he regularly finished in their B&F top 10 or got anywhere near AA consideration.
You’re underselling him. Heart and soul player that lifted his teammates by leading by example. Exactly the kind of player that would’ve been great to have on the inside for big games.

Liam Picken, James Stewart and Jake Kelly are some of the recent players we've passed on (none of which I'm particularly unhappy about passing on), are there any others we've passed on who've gone on to be 'hits'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back