Father/Son - Hits and Misses

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Tuck still carved out a decent career with 173 games, while Travis obviously had his "issues" and didn't contribute many. Hawthorn did pick Travis as a F/S, but only took Shane as a Rookie, and didn't give him any games. Just imagine if Ablett snr. had stuck around at Hawthorn and played his whole career there, then Ablett jnr. had followed him to the club! Josh P. Kennedy managed just 13 games with the Hawks before turning into one of the competition's superstars at Sydney.

Kennedy, T. Tuck and Steven Greene (along with Finn Maginness in 2019) are their only father-son recruits in the draft era. They haven't done at all well out of it!
They did not maximum the Kennedy value. For all the praising of the Hawks, they got that one wrong.

I think he ended up changing his name to Bradson.

So compared with some clubs we have had quite a few saddle up for us.

Geelong has been a bit blessed.View attachment 806374It is unique to have 3 line up at the 1 club.

Looks like we'll have another 3-peat later this year with Rowdy's daughter likely to join the AFLW.

Our biggest fu** up was not taking Liam Picken.

Had a preseason at the Pies and another couple at the Doggies but just wasn't up to it. Was eventually taken by the Doggies at around 22-23 yo after a very good year at Willi. Even then, it wasn't till his last few seasons that he really started to show his wares.

Had a preseason at the Pies and another couple at the Doggies but just wasn't up to it. Was eventually taken by the Doggies at around 22-23 yo after a very good year at Willi. Even then, it wasn't till his last few seasons that he really started to show his wares.
Williamstown also paid/sponsored his rookie list position at the dogs.

The Williamstown Football Club were convinced Liam had what it takes to make an AFL player and even committed to pay $20,000 towards his Rookie Contract.

The Williamstown Football Club is wholly committed to providing opportunities for young, talented footballers to play at the highest possible level. For the past three years the Club has provided financial backing to the Western Bulldogs Football Club to allow them to draft rookie listed players. Over the past three years the Western Bulldogs have drafted Liam Picken, Brodie Moles and Patrick Rose as result of our financial support. The Club is committed to this initiative and is excited about the prospect of Liam Picken Academy Graduates joining the Western Bulldogs Football Club.

On Nick Davis, it's been announced he's playing a NRL nines game for the roosters in Perth. Even though he's 39 and this seems a hit and giggle gimmick it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Davis is on the Roosters payroll as their kicking coach, but will pull on the boots while the majority of Trent Robinson's top squad will be gearing up for their World Club Challenge defence in England the following weekend.

While Davis's addition has been made to capitalise on Perth's strong-AFL market, both he and Robinson are confident he will be well equipped for the code switch, where Davis will wear the No.2 jumper and play primarily as a winger.

"I can catch and pass, but I can kick more than anything and that's what I'll be relying on," Davis said on Friday.

"I've always loved rugby league, growing up in Sydney it's part of your DNA.

"There was a time there when I would have liked to play rugby league, but the family tradition in AFL was the thing that changed me in the end."

On Nick Davis, it's been announced he's playing a NRL nines game for the roosters in Perth. Even though he's 39 and this seems a hit and giggle gimmick it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Surely he is too old to play this.

The full list of players we've recruited under the father-son rule (since the draft came in):
Heath Shepherd
Ernie Hug jnr. *
Nick Davis
Brad Oborne
Rhyce Shaw
Jason Cloke
Cameron Cloke
Brayden Shaw *
Heath Shaw
Travis Cloke
Jaxson Barham
Darcy Moore
Callum L. Brown
Josh Daicos
Tyler Brown *
Will Kelly *
Ernie Hug jnr. - fail
Nick Davis - pass
Brad Oborne - fail
Rhyce Shaw - fail (success @ Sydney)
Jason Cloke - fail (two decent years)
Cameron Cloke - fail
Brayden Shaw - fail
Heath Shaw - success
Travis Cloke - success
Jaxson Barham - fail
Darcy Moore - success
Callum L. Brown - fail (TBD)
Josh Daicos - fail (TBD)
Tyler Brown - ?
Will Kelly - ?

Ernie Hug jnr. - fail
Nick Davis - pass
Brad Oborne - fail
Cameron Cloke - fail
Brayden Shaw - fail
Heath Shaw - success
Travis Cloke - success
Jaxson Barham - fail
Darcy Moore - success
Josh Daicos - fail (TBD)
Tyler Brown - ?
Will Kelly - ?
There's not a lot of success stories there. Heath Shephard would also be in the "fail" category. We do very well as far as the numbers are concerned, and have had a few real winners. I suppose if a F/S recruit gets to 100 games for the club you could rate that a success, though if a player played 90 games but was a premiership player that might do as well! Hopefully some of the current crop can turn out winners, and make that list look better.

Here's a link to what should be all the f/s recruits (in the draft era): https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_players_drafted_to_the_Australian_Football_League_under_the_father–son_rule
Just click on Club to put them in club order. The list includes three father-daughter selections, though it would be better off putting them somewhere else. It also includes games played for GWS in Heath Shaw's tally, which it shouldn't do.

Collingwood section:
1579405876302.png
1579405923103.png

Last edited:
Ernie Hug jnr. - fail
Nick Davis - pass
Brad Oborne - fail
Cameron Cloke - fail
Brayden Shaw - fail
Heath Shaw - success
Travis Cloke - success
Jaxson Barham - fail
Darcy Moore - success
Josh Daicos - fail (TBD)
Tyler Brown - ?
Will Kelly - ?
It's a bit of a misnomer that Rhyce Shaw was only decent at Sydney, his form in 2005 was decent before doing his ACL, likewise his form in 2006 (once fit) and 2007.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats true, he did have a fairly solid year or two for us. But not to the level of his time in Sydney.

Shows how good Sydney is getting most out of there Players they Traded in from Other Clubs on the Cheap back then

Shows how good Sydney is getting most out of there Players they Traded in from Other Clubs on the Cheap back then
Sydney were really good at idntifying blokes who would be good in their system. Their game plan perfectly suited Rhyce. They transitioned the footy by feeding it out backwards and sideways a couple of times until it ended in the hands of a wide receiver - Rhyce who could run and carry - breaking the lines. He would never hav been as effective with us, as he was a pretty limited player, who needed that distinct role in order to excel.

They do this because they don't like to bottom out hence blokes like Shawry and Josh Kennedy.

and Showed you don't have to Bottom out to be a Contender though they Finally have last season

Jason Cloke had 1 or 2 really good years.

If he continued to be played as that third tall/intercept marker that he was coming in, then he probably would have had more of a future at AFL level.

It was never a case of him being "found out" as far as I remember. Us playing a 189cm bloke as a key defender and ruckman due to lack of depth and injuries was never going to work well, so it wasn't surprising that he "didn't look up to it" when played in those roles. A big victim of our injury crisis and putrid depth in 2004-2005.

I think of a similar sized player who was played in similar roles early at another club around the same time, in Jason Blake. Once he was allowed to stay set in a more natural role, he was able to carve out a solid-if-unspectacular career. I don't see a reason Jason Cloke couldn't have done something similar.

Last edited:
You’re underselling him. Heart and soul player that lifted his teammates by leading by example. Exactly the kind of player that would’ve been great to have on the inside for big games.

Would Picken (selected originally in the 2008 Rookie Draft, at age 22) have even gotten a regular game in our 2009-2012 sides, to allow him to develop into the player he eventually became?

I mean, he's a battler type that Malthouse would have liked, but I don't think he would have made us a better side at that time. Then, if he doesn't get that base of experience and development under his belt, do his 2016 season and finals series (his clear peak as a player) even happen?

I think they also got the best from Andrew Schauble although I still think he would have been alright for us and he was very young when he left.

It was a mistake to let him go the same as with Sav.

I think they also got the best from Andrew Schauble although I still think he would have been alright for us and he was very young when he left.

To me Schauble was a player who was NQR. Every good piece of play was almost always followed by an action which undid the good one.

To me Schauble was a player who was NQR. Every good piece of play was almost always followed by an action which undid the good one.
Schauble I think was 17 when he first played for us and looked a very reasonable prospect good size but I seem to recall he got hurt,knocked out if I remember correctly and he just lost all confidence in himself and only really recovered when played at Sydney,where he played a lot of games.

Last edited:
Would Picken (selected originally in the 2008 Rookie Draft, at age 22) have even gotten a regular game in our 2009-2012 sides, to allow him to develop into the player he eventually became?

I mean, he's a battler type that Malthouse would have liked, but I don't think he would have made us a better side at that time. Then, if he doesn't get that base of experience and development under his belt, do his 2016 season and finals series (his clear peak as a player) even happen?
Yeah that’s a fair argument.

I’d suggest he probably gets considered in line with Rounds and Blair though.

On the opposite side, they definitely missed out on Sean Dempster’s best years and arguably Schneider as well. So they don’t win them all.

I don't think Schauble was never the same at the Pies after he got crunched in that Essendon? game in 98? (from memory).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back