Player Watch Father-Son Pick #25 (2019) - Jackson Mead

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope they give him a few weeks to try and find his feet at this level.

My only worry is that he’s a bit of an old school mid in an already one paced midfield.

I was hoping he would develop into the same player Sam Mitchell was. After watching him a bit more, I think his speed is underrated. He's not express, but he's not slow. My hopes are building.

The other thing that excites me is his pedigree. Darren was undersized for a CHB, but he and Glenn Jackovich were the only 2 backs that really held their own against Wayne Carey. I think Jackson making the team so early after what last year threw at him shows his determination.

I heard whispers over the pre-season they were really excited about him internally. Can't wait to see his season/career unfold.

There’s also the Gibbs to port sliding doors.

Apparently the story goes Glenelg were originally aligned to port in the father son / sanfl clubs allocations. When Bryce was coming up and looking like a talent Ross himself led the charge (probably being egged on by the crows and their ambassadors) to get Glenelg moved to the crows and was successful.

Then it turns out Bryce wasn’t eligible to crows cause the cut off for games played by Ross ends when the club enters the afl.

Bryce went to a development basket case club, shows massive amount of talent but wilts under the pressure and having smoke blown up his butt and becomes a loser who threw his money down the drain.

Due to port entering the afl later Ross would have played enough games for Bryce to qualify. Due to the f/s rules at the time we could have drafted Gibbs with a 3rd rounder, in the same draft we took travis boak, and Gibbs would have stayed in Sa with family, and a club far better equipped to develop players (than Carlton) and far better at protecting players from off field crap. And Gibbs would have come up with boak next to him setting standards and had far less pressure on him.

Also add Gibbs to our 2007 gf team over Brad Symes is a massive upgrade. Not a 100 point turnaround but still.
Sliding Doors, Gibbs out of the pool, we don’t get Boak…

1. Mid (Carlton)
2. KPP (Essendon)
3. KPP (North)
4. KPP/RU (Brisbane)
5. Mid (Port)

Unless Carlton decide to take a Gumbleton or Leuenberger instead, do they really have the potatoes to reach for Boak at #1?

It’s pretty well known that boak just pipped Selwood on our draft board.

Boak could easily have still been available with our pick in this scenario, but if not no one would be complaining about getting Selwood with our first and Gibbs with our 3rd

Yeah, I'm changing nothing about that 2006 draft, imagine our last 16 years if we'd screwed that up.

I still remember varied criticisms of ignoring the relentless footyhead over the kid who liked to surf. Obscenely fortunate how it all turned out given the situational sh¡tshow Boak [and Gray] walked into.

I still remember varied criticisms of ignoring the relentless footyhead over the kid who liked to surf. Obscenely fortunate how it all turned out given the situational sh¡tshow Boak [and Gray] walked into.
They didn't walk into a shitshow.

We played a Grand Final in their debut year.

Saw some good signs but then completely disappeared.

My concern is that what we see of him is when he’s on the ball / around the contest.

Once he moves away he becomes invisible.

Do we have the midfield minutes to offer him enough minute’s? Are we just taking midfield minutes away from other better mids?

I don’t know. We can’t even fit Spp into our midfield, and he’s useless when played outside it.

There’s a bit to like about mead, but due to him having exactly zero 2nd position, developing him could be a big pain in the ass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looked better than I expected. A little hesitant at a couple of ground balls where his teammates were also in the vicinity, but solid enough. We’re not getting a rolls royce or explosive type, but a natural, competent footballer.

Nope. We would have given up our 3rd round pick in 2006 to get F-S Gibbs if Glenelg were aligned to us.

Geelong got Selwood at 7 and Hawkins with a 3rd round pick in 2006 draft. Hawkins was considered a top 5 pick.

They were the rules back then. Heeney changed all that with bidding system coming in, in 2015.

Nope. We would have given up our 3rd round pick in 2006 to get F-S Gibbs if Glenelg were aligned to us.

Geelong got Selwood at 7 and Hawkins with a 3rd round pick in 2006 draft. Hawkins was considered a top 5 pick.

They were the rules back then. Heeney changed all that with bidding system coming in, in 2015.

So really if we picked up Gibbs, we don’t get Gray.

So really if we picked up Gibbs, we don’t get Gray.
How do you work that out?

Our 3rd round pick was Nathan Krakouer. no guarantee he would still be there at 55, no guarantee we would have selected him if we knew in September we had Gibbs. The strategy would have been different.

Last edited:
How do you work that ou?

Our 3rd round pick was Nathan Krakouer. no guarantee he would still be there at 55, no guarantee we would have selected him if we had knew in September we had Gibbs. The strategy would have been different.

Yeah my bad, I forgot about Krak. I had Gray as our 3rd pick. We probably still pick up Robbie as he was primarily a small forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back