Father Son Rule

Remove this Banner Ad

ptw

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think everyone here would support the proposed change to the father son rule, incorporating SANFL games....but I am interested in how it might work.

I would think that Port should have priority over players who played for the magpies pre 1997....would you agree ?

What about other clubs....we could divide them between Port and the Crows....or the player could be eligible for both clubs and it is whoever signs him first, or whoever's 2nd round draft pick is lower.

What do you think ?

ptw

I have no problem with the Magpies players going straight to the Power. Seems like a natural thing to me.

As for your other suggestons, in an ideal world it would be the players choice. However, the idea of splitting the state into two zones is also a good idea. North of the Torrens is the Port Zone, South of the Torrens is the Crows Zone. This idea was one of 2 things Norwood suggested that I agreed with when they tried to take us over.

The Crows John Reid is currently on a committee reviewing the draft and I'm sure he'll thrown an idea like this into the discussions.

Jerome

The father/son rule was initiated so that a son could show some allegiance to his fathers club. At this stage there aren't too many ex Crows or Power players sons knocking on the door so it's probably irrelevant right now to SA and WA teams.

The only problem is that there is an inequity with the priority draft picks through the rule. Any modification to the rule would simply be trying to remove that inequity.

Let's say Brad Ottens was just coming up for the draft. His father Dean played for Sturt who have no affilation with either the Crows or Port so who should be the chosen club? Maybe the father should nominate his allegiance?

I've got no idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back