Analysis Father Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seeings as BRG93 isn't around to update the list goodcop badcop suggested making a new thread. Mods can you close the older thread so we don't have two going at once? Also anyine can feel free to tell me amend any names or draft dates on the list by tagging me and I'll do it as soon as possible.

Eligible Father/Sons

Joshua Kellett - (2019 Draft)
Oliver Liberatore (2019 Draft)
Tyler Kolyniuk (2019 Draft)
Daniel Romero (2019 Draft)
Ewan MacPherson (2020 Draft)
Sam Darcy - (2021 Draft)
Cooper West - (2021 Draft)
Kobi West - (2021 Draft)
Kai Dimattina - (2021 Draft)
Kyan Eagleton - (2022 Draft)
Mitchell Croft - (2022 Draft)
Jordan Croft - (2022 Draft)
Tom Garlick - (2023 Draft)
Max Darcy - (2023 Draft)
Jack Johnson - (2023 Draft)
Harry Cameron - (2024 Draft)
Lukas Eagleton - (2025 Draft)
Jaxon Cooney - (2025 Draft)
Oliver Grant - (2025 Draft)
Jarvis Murphy - (2025 Draft)
Cohen Lake - (2025 Draft)
Sonny Garlick - (2025 Draft)
Riley Morris - (2026 Draft)
Levi West (2026 Draft)
Riley Dickson (2026 Draft)
Zakaria Daniel Mark Southern (2028 Draft)
Charlie Morris (2029 Draft)
Malachy Picken - (2030 Draft)
Jack Cameron - (2030 Draft)
Levi Hahn (2030 Draft)
Otis Giansiracusa - (2030 Draft)
Tyler Cross - (2030 Draft)
Jude Brown - (2031 Draft)
Miller Kretiuk - (2034 Draft)
James Boyd - (2034 Draft)
Oscar Liberatore- (2038 Draft)
Fred Wood - (2038 Draft)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bios -

News -

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-21/dogs-prospect-a-true-son-of-the-west

Dogs' prospect a true son of the West
A MONTH training at the Western Bulldogs last year has made Rhylee West confident he is good enough to reach the top level as the draft prospect aims to emulate his father's career.

The Dogs have first access at this year's NAB AFL Draft to the 17-year-old, who is the son of club great and seven-time best and fairest winner Scott West, who played 324 games between 1993-2008.

Similar to his dad, West is a shorter midfielder with a knack of winning the footy, and his stint at the Bulldogs as part of the NAB AFL Academy has solidified his self-belief.

"That was one of the greatest experiences I've had that will help me understand what you need to be to be an AFL footballer," West told AFL.com.au.

"Whether it's the Dogs or any other club, it's such a great experience to be exposed to elite training, elite facilities, elite habits and what it really takes to be a footballer.

"I was there for about a month which gave me a bit of extra time to get to know the boys better and feel more confident in drills and stuff, so it was good to go down and see how I'd go against people who have already made it."

The Calder Cannon missed a large chunk of last season with a stress fracture in his foot, but his competitiveness has stood out during the Academy's training sessions in America on its high performance camp this week.

He would follow a line of players – Mitch Wallis, Tom Liberatore and Lachie Hunter – to come out of Melbourne school St Kevin's College and join the Dogs as a father-son pick if the club grabs him later this year.

"You have to go about playing footy and not let [the father-son discussion] distract you. It doesn't really matter that I'm tied to a club. They've got the rights over me, but it's up to them whether they want to take that or not take it, I just have to play my footy to the best I can and see what happens at the end of the year," he said.

"It would be pretty special playing at the same club my dad did. Obviously 'Hunts' can keep the number (Hunter wears Scott West's No.7), because he doesn't look like he's leaving any time soon, but as long as I'm there in the same colours I think it would be pretty special to Dad, too. But we'll have to wait and see."

Rhylee West handballs during a drill in Florida
rhylee-west-training-1024.jpg

West is focused on improving his endurance this pre-season, as well as polishing his kicking. The Academy's training camp at the world-class centre in Florida was a starting point for that, and also included individual testing at the Gatorade Sports Science Institute.

"We've been exposed to the facilities and I've just been trying to use them as much as we can," he said. "We've done things that you can't do in Melbourne for your training, so I've tried to make the most of that."

He's also made the most of his father's football knowledge. West describes Scott as his "biggest teacher", drawing on his experience at the Dogs and as one of the game's premier midfielders.

"The achievements he's had through his career just makes me hungry for what I want to do in mine," he said.

"I've always looked up to him and I want to be as good as him. Obviously that's going to be hard, but it puts what I want my ceiling to be a little bit higher than some of the boys that come through. It's a motivation factor that is pretty good, I think."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...t/news-story/daa7b1cb9a164975ee6890224e70413e

Western Bulldogs father-son prospect Rhylee West has hallmarks of his famous father Scott
Tim Michell, Moonee Valley Leader
May 3, 2018 7:00am
RHYLEE West says he is unfazed by the pressure to emulate his famous father’s AFL exploits as he chases a career at the top level.

The son of Western Bulldogs champion Scott West, Rhylee trained at Whitten Oval during pre-season and is expected to be snapped up as a father-son selection at this year’s AFL national draft.

A tough inside midfielder, Rhylee’s playing style has inevitably been compared to his dad’s.

“There is a bit of pressure,” Rhylee said.

“But I just sweep it off and don’t really put too much pressure on myself to be as good as he was.

“Because obviously he was a great player. I just take it in my stride.”

Rhylee was eight when his dad played the last of his 324 games in the red, white and blue, accumulating seven Charles Sutton medals and five All-Australian selections during a storied career.

“I remember sitting in the crèche and watching him on TV and sometimes going out on the ground with him,” he said.

“Having him as my dad is probably one of the greatest advantages I have.”

37b2c45ca6b2bf0d91dd8f2ab04ee048

Rhylee West bursts through a tackle during a match between the AFL Academy and North Melbourne VFL. Picture: Getty Images.
The Strathmore junior was limited to five TAC Cup appearances for Calder Cannons last year by injury and school football commitments at St Kevin’s.

West, who stands at 180cm and weighs 81kg, gave Western Bulldogs supporters a taste of what is to come in Round 2 this season.

The 17-year-old collected 29 disposals, four marks and laid six tackles against Eastern Ranges in a best-afield display.

“Last year was a bit unfortunate with the foot injury,” he said. “But this year has started off strong and hopefully I can carry that throughout the whole year.”

The physical on-baller relishes contested footy with the same enthusiasm his father did, averaging four tackles per game in his first TAC Cup campaign last year.

“I see some of his highlights and it is some of the stuff I try and do out on the field,” West said. “I can definitely see why people compare us.”

West has two strong role models to learn from as he prepares for the next step, fellow Calder Cannons father-son selections Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore.

The AFL pair forged the same path West is set to embark on after their fathers Steve (261 games) and Tony (283 matches) enjoyed long careers with the Bulldogs.

“We didn’t really speak directly about it but I guess it is sort of just implied,” Rhylee said. “Mitch has dealt with it well and so has Libba. Hopefully I can emulate that.”

6591f7f98f6ba2f6686d15bc832b7ba2

Scott West with his boys, Rhylee, Cooper and Kobi after announcing his retirement. Picture: Jay Town.
West said he had been fortunate to be part of the AFL academy and hone his game under the tutelage of coaches including former Brisbane Lions on-baller Luke Power.

“It’s one of the advantages that 38 or 39 players have,” he said.

“Being exposed to elite facilities, elite coaches and a lot of things a lot of other draftees don’t really get.”

West said the Cannons had assembled a squad capable of achieving success this year under coach Ross Smith.

“Last year we had a bit of disappointment but this year under Ross (Smith’s) coaching, he’s really leading us in the right direction,” he said.

“I think we have got a great mix of boys. We should go hopefully pretty far.”

West and Essendon father-son prospect Mason Fletcher are two of Calder’s leading draft prospects this year.

Last edited:

Maddog1980

All Australian
Oct 15, 2003
In a house in Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I know this may be a big ask however is anyone prepared to do a look back on FS draftees for the bulldogs...the hits and misses if any as well as any comparison to other clubs? Would be interesting to read...however I know I don’t have the time or access to the stats

Though they are not eligible to join Western Bulldogs as Father Sons, Jacob Martin (Son of Michael) and Harrison Minton-Connell (Son of Simon) have also been named in the Calder Cannon sides

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seeings as BRG93 isn't around to update the list goodcop badcop suggested making a new thread. Mods can you close the older thread so we don't have two going at once? Also anyine can feel free to tell me amend any names or draft dates on the list by tagging me and I'll do it as soon as possible.

Eligible Father/Sons

Rhylee West - (2018 Draft)
Joshua Kellett - (2019 Draft)
Oliver Liberatore (2019 Draft)
Tyler Kolyniuk (2019 Draft)
Daniel Romero (2019 Draft)
Sam Darcy - (2021 Draft)
Cooper West - (2021 Draft)
Kobi West - (2021 Draft)
Kyan Eagleton - (2022 Draft)
Mitchell Croft - (2022 Draft)
Jordan Croft - (2022 Draft)
Tom Garlick - (2023 Draft)
Max Darcy - (2023 Draft)
Jack Johnson - (2023 Draft)
Harry Cameron - (2024 Draft)
Lukas Eagleton - (2025 Draft)
Jaxon Cooney - (2025 Draft)
Oliver Grant - (2025 Draft)
Jarvis Murphy - (2025 Draft)
Cohen Lake - (2025 Draft)
Sonny Garlick - (2025 Draft)
Riley Morris - (2026 Draft)
Zakaria Daniel Mark Southern (2028 Draft)
Malachy Picken - (2030 Draft)
Jack Cameron - (2030 Draft)
Levi Hahn (2030 Draft)
Otis Giansiracusa - (2030 Draft)
Tyler Cross - (2030 Draft)
Jude Brown - (2031 Draft)
Miller Kretiuk - (2034 Draft)
James Boyd - (2034 Draft)
It will be a great day when we have another young Kolyniuk running around for us.

Vince McMahon

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It’s a pity we can’t add Bevo’s son to the list, he’s a ripper kid and works very hard. I watched him recently at my local club in 2017, he also had some good games for Collingwood VFL last year. His old mans a great bloke too, as we all agree, except for Stringer of course!

Whats the latest updates on the 2019 group? GCBC mentioned Romero in an earlier post and it sounds like he is tracking ok, but what of the others?
Josh oliver and tyler are all listed as bottom agers for their tac team though they will play local footy all season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tory Dickson has a son, Riley, according to A Wink from the Universe (p260).
Don't know how old.
Tory needs 11 more games for Riley Dickson to become eligible.

Can't see him in the list Wizard17 ... is it worth having a "pending" list for players close to 100 games? Just so they don't get forgotten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back