Analysis Father Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Hence why I said a solid pick up. Although with development programs now his kicking would have to be better than his old man you would think

So McPherson and Kellet as mid-range picks? Would be down with that
Ewan McPherson is 2020 draft but is talked about as a great prospect. I think I read that he was captain of an U16 rep team. Hard to predict but could be a second rounder. Or even higher.

Here are this year's candidates according to the OP:
Joshua Kellett - (2019 Draft)
Oliver Liberatore (2019 Draft)
Tyler Kolyniuk (2019 Draft)
Daniel Romero (2019 Draft)

If Josh Kellett is a big possession winner and anywhere near as fast as his old man AND is a much better kick, he'd be a good pick up. A few boxes to tick there first, though.

A few years ago the wraps for Olly Libba (as a 13yo) were big but they've faded a bit now so it'll depend very much on whether he has a good season in 2019.

I know very little about Kolyniuk and Romero except that the latter is supposedly a bit better than his older brother Michael who we passed over. They seem like late picks at best.

Ewan McPherson is 2020 draft but is talked about as a great prospect. I think I read that he was captain of an U16 rep team. Hard to predict but could be a second rounder. Or even higher.

If Josh Kellett is a big possession winner and anywhere near as fast as his old man AND is a much better kick, he'd be a good pick up. A few boxes to tick there first, though.

A few years ago the wraps for Olly Libba (as a 13yo) were big but they've faded a bit now so it'll depend very much on whether he has a good season in 2019.

I know very little about Kolyniuk and Romero except that the latter is supposedly a bit better than his older brother Michael who we passed over. They seem like late picks at best.
Romero made the U16s rep team, so he must be decent. Hopefully he keeps on the same path and doesn't drop off

Romero made the U16s rep team, so he must be decent. Hopefully he keeps on the same path and doesn't drop off
Hes playing this weekend for Northern if anyone watches the games on nab league app

I hope having passed a few older brothers over (ie Romero and Macpherson) doesn’t impact on their desire to come to us.

I remember there being quite a bit of hope about the older Romero before it died off.

Our father sons have been huge for us really - I mean to get Libba, Cordy and Hunter playing in a flag, all taken after pick 40, is a great free hit.

I hope having passed a few older brothers over (ie Romero and Macpherson) doesn’t impact on their desire to come to us.

I remember there being quite a bit of hope about the older Romero before it died off.

Our father sons have been huge for us really - I mean to get Libba, Cordy and Hunter playing in a flag, all taken after pick 40, is a great free hit.
Can imagine the interview with young Romeros or young MacPhersons:

WB: "Now we can't say for sure we'll draft you. We have to weigh up a lot of things when we make our draft plans."
Young R/Mac: "Uh-huh ... like what for instance?"
WB (eyes darting sideways): "We-e-ell, not to put too fine a point on it ... which one of you is the sh*t brother?"
* Brothers instantly point at each other and cry out in unison* "He is!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit like Chris and Jamie Grant, Ayce and Zane Cordy. The younger one always seems better.

The Dogs have spoken to Ewan several times and he is keen to come.

A bit like Chris and Jamie Grant, Ayce and Zane Cordy. The younger one always seems better.

The Dogs have spoken to Ewan several times and he is keen to come.

Darcy has been tearing it up since last season. Gets a bit of the ball, has a good crack, can stick a tackle and find goals. Would have been a fair Honeychurch upgrade, will be surprised if Ewan ends up better, breaking that younger brother is better theory.

I recall with Mcpherson we guaranteed him a rookie spot. So I don't think we completely tossed him aside.

Probably should have picked him in the end but never mind.
Could understand why we didnt pick him in the main draft though, we had a stack of manlets:

Dahlhaus
Daniel
Honeychurch
Hrovat

I think throwing him a bone through a guaranteed spot on the rookie list was a good call at the time (even in anticipation of his younger brother might be a high quality draftee).

The middle Romeo was always rated the best.

We had three players finish in the top 10 in the 1992 Brownlow - Scott Wynd, Tony Liberatore and Nigel Kellett.

It was Kellett's only decent year.

He was quick, but my God did he butcher it.
If his son has his dad's posture it would be interesting trying to measure his height.

Nigel probably could have rucked if he had the ability to stand up straight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back