Analysis Father Son Selections

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don’t see the problem with the F/S - what clubs want to build are a base of generational supporters, parents, grandparents and kids. This helps the clubs and the league. And it keeps champions engaged in the club - which is all good. Also makes VFL a much better product as supporters watch these young kids.

GC and GWS haven’t had the benefits but these are more than offset by the academies. And in a few years they will benefit too. like West Coast and Adelaide are starting to see.

Occasionally the player is top 10 - and everyone freaks out - it is rare and fun. Hate Collingwood but the prospect of a young number 1 superstar is a positive for them and good for the game.

We have benefitted recently but others in the past and new ones in the future.

Just because our fellas have had some success with the ladies is not a reason to complain. And I loved the Chris Grant daughter son for all the same reasons above. Soon we will have mother daughters abs mother sons. Which will be great.

Will this win us premierships - no - this is such a small percentage of the population of players looking to play. Geelong was probably the closest to a crazy advantage but good for them.

NGA is much harder and while I am very supportive it is far more open to dodgy stuff like the academies (players moving from a non-academy zone into an academy zone is an easy one) but we just have to keep them clean rather than throw them out. While the draft should be open and fair - privilege, opportunity and even exposure/culture are not and these help that.

One rule we could use is like a salary cap/investment cap that all teams can afford and use and others are years in the academy system (to avoid joining in final years etc) many rules like this already exist.

As a league we absolutely want to encourage clubs to participate in developing the league in areas we have low participation and in areas of under-privilege - kids should have to be driven hours for a chance and draft benefits are a cheap way to do this. There are plenty things we can do to sort these out - with a few tweaks this season.

For us we have benefitted of course but have had plenty of times we reached because we wanted the kid to be a star and they just weren’t. It’s all part of the game.

We have plenty to look forward to in F/S with Darcy, Croft, more West’s (maybe), Kellet looks OK to. Plenty others on the F/S thread. NGA we struck gold but could be 20 years before a potential no1 comes up.

I'm the extreme opposite.

Should be no bidding and the minimum games limit should be 1.

If your Dad played for them, you play for them, we have Clubs, not franchises. If you are born into the club then you should play for the club.

I'd even included Mums.
There was talks within the AFL for Mother-Son draft prospects

Though that will be a couple of years away from being in placed

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
re Sam Darcy

1619999230931.png

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd even included Mums.
Though that will be a couple of years away from being in placed

Mother-son/daughter is certainly on the AFL agenda, from memory it is supposed to be finalised by around 2024 but this is subject to change of course. Rest assured it is certainly happening though.

I believe the only potential mother-son we currently have at the Bulldogs is Katy Herron who has a son.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was hoping for an exciting draft!!!

This may well prevent us from getting Blake Scott.
The thought of a highly rated, mobile, skilled 204cm utility locked in to come to the club no matter where we finish is pretty exciting to me tbh. If Scott’s even rated that highly which he’s not at the moment then we just go into deficit next year. If we want both we get them.

Shacf501

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The thought of a highly rated, mobile, skilled 204cm utility locked in to come to the club no matter where we finish is pretty exciting to me tbh. If Scott’s even rated that highly which he’s not at the moment then we just go into deficit next year. If we want both we get them.

Lets not forget Ayce Cordy was 200 odd cm and supposedly highly skilled.

We all know how that turned out!

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sam Darcy - 200+ KPD
Cody Raak - third tall/intercept defender
Blake Scott - live wire small forward
Ewan Macpherson - medium forward/mid

Jeez - just get points and were done! Would like to get Gulbis though.

Lets not forget Ayce Cordy was 200 odd cm and supposedly highly skilled.

We all know how that turned out!
As I posted the other day Sam Darcy is already a few kg heavier than Ayce was at the start of his first AFL season. You'd expect him to add a few more before the start of 2022. And ol' man Luke wasn't a beanpole.

But yes, cautious optimism should be the mood.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
As I posted the other day Sam Darcy is already a few kg heavier than Ayce was at the start of his first AFL season. You'd expect him to add a few more before the start of 2022. And ol' man Luke wasn't a beanpole.

But yes, cautious optimism should be the mood.

If only Ayce had been built more like his old man - or even uncle Neil. I blame the genetically modified chicken stuffed with steroids kids eat these days. Not many people realise Caleb Daniel is vegetarian, while his younger brother who loves chicken is 195cm! *

* Claim has been made for illustrative purposes only, I don't know if Caleb is vegetarian, or even has any siblings.

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There were concerns last year about how we'd be able to afford to pay for Raak and Macpherson. I wouldn't worry about Scott, we have a tendency to overrate our FS/NGA players for the most part
It's just that if he was rated a first rounder we likely wouldn't get him because of the new rules

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's just that if he was rated a first rounder we likely wouldn't get him because of the new rules
Yeah I know, I'm just saying I wouldn't stress about that. He'd be needing enormous improvement this year to enter round 1 talks. As it stands, he's more like a 3rd round prospect

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Blake Scott is playing well but he is nowhere near a top 21 talent

Late draft to rookie listing
Yeah I've seen some rate him as high as top 40 (i.e. late 30s), but that seems generous. We wouldn't even have to plan ahead for Scott imo

Ewan Macpherson will take part in the Colgate Young guns match on Saturday

Cody Raak has also been named and is on the same team as him

Game at Werribee Oval 2:40pm

Back