Father-Son Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

It would require some "scientific help", but what about Michelle Timms and Callan Ward? That baby would be tough enough to cut its own umbilical cord.
I was thinking perhaps a female descendant of Chuck Norris... Perhaps a granddaughter and Cal Ward. Then you would have the superpowers of the Norris's and the toughness of Cal.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned we haven't paid overs for any of our father-sons but I would think Cordy might be an over on the evidence so far. Hopefully he comes good, but he was drafted late 1st round.

I was thinking perhaps a female descendant of Chuck Norris... Perhaps a granddaughter and Cal Ward. Then you would have the superpowers of the Norris's and the toughness of Cal.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned we haven't paid overs for any of our father-sons but I would think Cordy might be an over on the evidence so far. Hopefully he comes good, but he was drafted late 1st round.

Based on what? At the time of the draft he was very highly rated. We wouldn't have got him in a normal daft. So yes, it's easy right now to say Cordy has not got a senior game, but I can tell you if not for injury this kid would have by now. In my opinion he's a better all round prospect than Roughy and that is saying something I know. But he is far more skillful by hand and foot and he's better below his knees. Let's be patient with him and let's see how he goes once he gets a decent run with injuries. It seems to be paying off for Tommy Williams...

As far as the father son thing goes, you only have to call the bluff once and clubs will be reluctant to do it again. But really all you can do is be honest with assessment of the player and take him only if we get him at where he should be and nothing more.....trying to be too funky would be all too hard i think.

Cordy will come good;

A) Fact. All big blokes take longer in the AFL than mids/smaller blokes to develop physically and mentally.
B) Fact. Emma Quayle has stated numerous times that Cordy should have gone top 10, if it wasn't for Matthew Drain nominating him for the Saints pick we might have got him 2nd round.
C) Fact. He has had major surgery and injuries to his shoulders.
D) Guess what body part what a ruckmen needs to take a mark and tap the ball??

The only thing that concerns me about Cordy is his body. I have no doubt he'll play senior footy in the near future if he can stay healthy.

while we are on FS. Emma Quayle has blogged today that Hunter and Beasley are not eligiable to draft until 2012.....
Hunter; I've really liked what I've seen of Hunter, he looks lively to me, although he possibly doesn't have the work ethic required at this stage. The Dogs have a bit more time to get that into him, though.
Beasley; I'm not sure where Beasley's at at the moment, he had gone back to concentrate on his rowing for a bit I believe.

Based on what? At the time of the draft he was very highly rated. We wouldn't have got him in a normal daft. So yes, it's easy right now to say Cordy has not got a senior game, but I can tell you if not for injury this kid would have by now. In my opinion he's a better all round prospect than Roughy and that is saying something I know. But he is far more skillful by hand and foot and he's better below his knees. Let's be patient with him and let's see how he goes once he gets a decent run with injuries. It seems to be paying off for Tommy Williams...

As far as the father son thing goes, you only have to call the bluff once and clubs will be reluctant to do it again. But really all you can do is be honest with assessment of the player and take him only if we get him at where he should be and nothing more.....trying to be too funky would be all too hard i think.
Yes he was highly rated, but mainly by Bulldog recruiting staff. It was obvious we were going to take him so they were always going to suggest that. My memory is that when that draft happened that Cordy would have fallen through to the next rouns but St Kilda that had the last pick before ours said they would pick them with their first choice.
Hence we would have got him as our 2nd rounder if they didn't do that.
He probably would have been judged a little less harshly if he was a 2nd rounder. He also was drafted with injuries, he had problematic shoulders and missed a lot of football the year he was drafted.
A lot of guesswork and supposition is involved in drafting. I have no problem with that but i have some serious concerns with how Cordy is going. Whether his body stands up is going to be the ultimate test in the next year. At this stage you would have to say he isn't close to earning or playing a game.

Cordy will come good;

A) Fact. All big blokes take longer in the AFL than mids/smaller blokes to develop physically and mentally.
B) Fact. Emma Quayle has stated numerous times that Cordy should have gone top 10, if it wasn't for Matthew Drain nominating him for the Saints pick we might have got him 2nd round.
C) Fact. He has had major surgery and injuries to his shoulders.
D) Guess what body part what a ruckmen needs to take a mark and tap the ball??
A/ Not always true, Natanui, Kreuzer, Trengove, Vardy, Smith, Lynch and Darling have made impacts early in careers.
B/ Fiction, this is supposition by Emma Quayle. It might be true but can never be proven.
C & D/True, so why risk an early draft pick on him when as you have correctly pointed out that he was under an enormous injury cloud.

I hope he works out and is a star but with the injuries and with his lack of strength i always considered him a risky pick early in a draft for us.

while we are on FS. Emma Quayle has blogged today that Hunter and Beasley are not eligiable to draft until 2012.....
Hunter; I've really liked what I've seen of Hunter, he looks lively to me, although he possibly doesn't have the work ethic required at this stage. The Dogs have a bit more time to get that into him, though.
Beasley; I'm not sure where Beasley's at at the moment, he had gone back to concentrate on his rowing for a bit I believe.

Thats the superdraft. Would have been soooo much better had he been available for the GWS compromised draft. Ah well.

Maybe the dogs can get into Hunters ear about playing dead - act like a ******** and play lazy so he slips to second round, leaving our first round and (in all probability) compo picks for other players.

A/ Not always true, Natanui, Kreuzer, Trengove, Vardy, Smith, Lynch and Darling have made impacts early in careers.
B/ Fiction, this is supposition by Emma Quayle. It might be true but can never be proven.
C & D/True, so why risk an early draft pick on him when as you have correctly pointed out that he was under an enormous injury cloud.

I hope he works out and is a star but with the injuries and with his lack of strength i always considered him a risky pick early in a draft for us.

At 202cms I was referring to ruckman in relation to Cordy's progress.
Dean Cox & Sandilands took over 3 years to get regular games.
Darling and Lynch are forwards,
Smith, NicNat and Kruze are picks 1 and 2 and are an exception to the bigman rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do adopted children count in Father Sons ??

That is actually a really good question. I would think they have to count as they are legally the children of the adoptive parents. But it is probably one of those things that will only be considered if and when it happens.

It would probably be looked at if Ted Whitten Jr had adopted Buddy Franklin when he was 16, but otherwise why not?