Jack Toohey
Len Gale           Alan Gale
Charlie Chapman    James Chapman
Dan Murray         Kevin Murray
George Coates      Michael Coates
Brian Pert         Gary Pert
Ken Grimley        Brett Grimley
Brian Brown        Jonathan Brown

with all these great past fitzroy players coming on to the thread, I thought I might start one looking at potential father/sons.

we have paul roos' boys, bradshaw's, and isn't one of gary pert's boys coming into draft calculations in the next year or so.

after the success of browny (father brian only played 50 games and only just qualified), what realistic chances do we have of any father/sons in say in the next five years?

Re: Potential Father/Sons picks

I looked into this a while ago.

Our cupboard is going to be bare for a while. Not many players born in the late 50s or the 60s reached the 100 game mark for Fitzroy and the Bears only had six (for obvious reasons of not existing at the right time). The Brisbane Lions have only had Lynch, who already qualifies because of Fitzroy but only has girls anyway if memory serves.

It's probably not for close to another 5-10 years that you start to get the kids of Fitzroy in the 70s and 80s coming through. It's tricky, because I'm only estimating when these guys are most likely to have kids, I don't actually know whether or not they have or whether they're up to AFL standard.

Richard Osborne has a son who is probably going to come into calculations in 5 or so years if he has been playing underage football and has an interest in pursuing a career in football at the elite level.

http://www.fitzroyfc.com.au/2011FFCMembershipform.pdf

IIRC Darryl's boys scored a mention in the Lions end of year mag, coming through the Academy. Hope they make it :thumbsu:

with all these great past fitzroy players coming on to the thread, I thought I might start one looking at potential father/sons.

we have paul roos' boys, bradshaw's, and isn't one of gary pert's boys coming into draft calculations in the next year or so.

after the success of browny (father brian only played 50 games and only just qualified), what realistic chances do we have of any father/sons in say in the next five years?

I think Roos' boys are with the Swans academy and as a result if they end up being good enough then they will be drafted by the Swans.

I think Roos' boys are with the Swans academy and as a result if they end up being good enough then they will be drafted by the Swans.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how this follows. Could someone please explain the standing of "acadamies" in relation to draft rules. If the Swans "draft" them, what picks do they have to use to do so?

I think I don't like these acadamy things.

If the Roos boys are good enough, I would like to see them at Brisbane.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how this follows. Could someone please explain the standing of "acadamies" in relation to draft rules. If the Swans "draft" them, what picks do they have to use to do so?

Academies effectively give that club first dibs on the player, equivalent to father/son. So both Brisbane and Sydney would be able to pre-list Roos' sons via differing means. The player can then select which they want to be considered for, similar to the Danihers being able to select between Essendon and Sydney for father/son selections, or can even select neither ala Marc Murphy. I don't think there has been any hard-and-fast rules publicised about this as yet, so it's merely my reading between the lines at this point.

However, given acadamies are optional to sign up for I kinda expect that if Roos (and Bradshaw) was looking to father/son eligibility he wouldn't have signed up his kids to this additional commitment. Nothing concrete here, just my gut feeling.

with roo's boys even if they are with the sydney academy, wouldn't brisbane have first right under father/son, it seems unfair if they don't.

it seems that was the case with wallis and liberatore, the bulldogs had first right of refusal, the daniher boys (darcy & joe) had the choice btwn sydney and essendon, essndon were able to present a case to lure them there. it seems that the viney boy had first choice melbourne.

it would be a tragedy if at least one of rooys boys could not continue the legacy at the lions.

it only adds to the pain of having lost him in the first place

You won't believe this but:D Whitey's boys are absolutely outstanding athletes!

I would believe it you know. Do they have "go go gadget" arms as well?

I hope White has been teaching them to hold the ball above their heads with one hand, Statue of Liberty style, after they have taken a hanger. They need to know this sort of thing.

White was a gun footballer and as they say, "the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with roo's boys even if they are with the sydney academy, wouldn't brisbane have first right under father/son, it seems unfair if they don't.

it seems that was the case with wallis and liberatore, the bulldogs had first right of refusal, the daniher boys (darcy & joe) had the choice btwn sydney and essendon, essndon were able to present a case to lure them there. it seems that the viney boy had first choice melbourne.
it would be a tragedy if at least one of rooys boys could not continue the legacy at the lions.

it only adds to the pain of having lost him in the first place

Father/son doesn't give the club carte blanche to recruit a player. The player can decline the club, as per Marc Murphy. In this case it will be up to the player to decide whether they want to be recruited by Brisbane or Sydney, the clubs have no say in what the player's decision is other than attempting to persuade them.

I suspect Roos' boys will knock back Brisbane and opt for Sydney given Roos signed them up to the Swans academy. As much as it may hurt, it seems like Roos identifies much more as a Swan these days.

unless Voss retires from coaching or is asked to leave....(not saying i would want this)...Roos is appointed and his boys come and play!!! I wonder if he would be the first father to coach his sons in AFL!

Father/son doesn't give the club carte blanche to recruit a player. The player can decline the club, as per Marc Murphy. In this case it will be up to the player to decide whether they want to be recruited by Brisbane or Sydney, the clubs have no say in what the player's decision is other than attempting to persuade them.

I suspect Roos' boys will knock back Brisbane and opt for Sydney given Roos signed them up to the Swans academy. As much as it may hurt, it seems like Roos identifies much more as a Swan these days.

Roos boys grew up in Sydney - and at the Swans - they have no connection to us at all. I, for one would be surprised to see them up here.

I agree that the Roos boys would most likely prefer Sydney to Brisbane even though not eligible as father/son selections for the Swans but can probably get there through the Swan's Academy.

However the Lions will have an inside run at any outstanding talent that passes through their Academy and in the end it comes down to:

(a) How good the player is.
(b) Does the player want an AFL career.

This is a help for the boys,the Club and the game in not only Queensland but in general as some will inevitably will be drafted by other clubs.

AS advised previously in another thread,Darryl's 2 eldest boys (he has 5) are very talented at sport and the younger of them starred for the Queensland AFL Under 12's in 2010....and both will receive the benefits of the Lion's Academy and are already enrolled.

have just discovered that paul roos only played 87 games for sydney, not enough for his sons to go there under father/son. the only way they could go to sydney is through there involvement in the academy, otherwise brisbane get first look in under father/son.

is that correct, or do I get all excited at the prospect for nothing?

have just discovered that paul roos only played 87 games for sydney, not enough for his sons to go there under father/son. the only way they could go to sydney is through there involvement in the academy, otherwise brisbane get first look in under father/son.

is that correct, or do I get all excited at the prospect for nothing?

That is correct.

I agree that the Roos boys would most likely prefer Sydney to Brisbane even though not eligible as father/son selections for the Swans but can probably get there through the Swan's Academy.

However the Lions will have an inside run at any outstanding talent that passes through their Academy and in the end it comes down to:

(a) How good the player is.
(b) Does the player want an AFL career.

This is a help for the boys,the Club and the game in not only Queensland but in general as some will inevitably will be drafted by other clubs.

AS advised previously in another thread,Darryl's 2 eldest boys (he has 5) are very talented at sport and the younger of them starred for the Queensland AFL Under 12's in 2010....and both will receive the benefits of the Lion's Academy and are already enrolled.
My understanding is that the academies ability to pre-list local players (using a father son type bid system) doesent start for another 2 years, after drafts with concessions for Gold Coast and GWS. So boys turning 16 this year will be the first group eligible.

Therefore boys turning 17 or 18 this year - ie eligible for the next two drafts - wont be able to be prelisted from academies in NSW or Qld. As at the recent NSW/ACT under 18 state zone trials there was a Dylan Roos (DOB 9/7/94) playing for South Sydney, if he is the oldest Roos boy he may well not be eligible for selection via the Swans Academy. So if hes good enough to be considered for draft in 2012 it might be father son or straight into draft (unless in the 2012 draft there are still specific state concessions for GWS to recruit from NSW, as Gold Coast had from Qld this year?)

That's correct although the kids could decide (ala Mark Murphy) that they have no interest in going to Brisbane and enter the draft.

assuming this is correct, would roos' boys have been more interested in going to fitzroy if they were still around, where the families emotional attachment may be stronger than to brisbane where there is no emotional attachment? just curious.

You'd probably have to ask Roos' sons themselves to be sure. :) My assumption is going to be that they're going to the Swans via the academy given what gets reported in the paper down here, what with Roos running the Swans academy and the boys having already signed up. If they do opt for the Lions, I'm prepared to be more than pleasantly surprised.

Roos' coaching at the Swans may also be taken into account in assessing the eligibility of his sons to be father/son picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back