Father/Son Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Harris, who plays for Caulfield Grammarians in the Amateurs, has been selected in the VAFA U19 side to play Vic Country this Sunday in Ballarat. No doubt the club continues to keep an eye on his development as well.

MK4_0319.jpg

MK3_0005.jpg

Casey Voss debut for Lions (NEAFL) v Southport 2018

Paul Henrikson on Casey Voss
Joining him in the Lions’ line-up will be Casey Voss, son of Lions great Michael Voss. Casey played his first game in the guernsey against the Southport Sharks last round.

“Casey was very good. He played halfback/flank,” Henriksen said. “He played with freedom. It was great to see him win the ball, move it quickly, get in position to take marks.”

Henriksen said the past week has been a great learning experience for 18-year-old Casey, with coaching staff going through vision of his game to identify areas of improvement. He will get a second chance to pull on the Lions jumper in Blacktown this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's on the Lions' draft radar?
Brisbane will continue to monitor father-son prospect Casey Voss after the potential Lion played recently for the club's NEAFL side. The 18-year-old has played for Sturt's under-18 side and its SANFL reserves team this year while being based in Adelaide, where his father Michael is now an assistant coach for Port Adelaide.

However, he recently won a clearance to play for the Lions' NEAFL team while training with the Club and has improved to be in the mix as a draft chance this year. Brisbane recruiting manager Stephen Conole told AFL.com.au's Road to the Draft podcast the club was watching Voss closely despite him missing out on playing for South Australia at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

"He had a game at Southport (for the Lions' NEAFL side) and he was really good. It was difficult conditions, it was really wet. He played half-back in that game and was serviceable," Conole said. "Similarly, he went up to Sydney University and we hadn't won for a few weeks so he got to be a part of that. "He went back to Sturt and had a solid game on the weekend. He's had a solid year. He would have liked to have been involved in that South Australian (under-18) program but he just missed selection there. "It seems like he's in a really good program at Sturt and his footy's getting better all the time."

Michael Voss is one of the most decorated players of the modern era, captaining Brisbane's 'three-peat' premierships from 2001-03 and winning the 1996 Brownlow Medal. After playing 289 games with the club, he coached the Lions from 2009-13.

Conole said Clubs would be assessing Casey's performances across the season. "The draft is really deep this year. We're just one Club out of 18 so I'm sure everyone's having a look at him, so he'll be in with a chance," he said. "It'd be a good story if Casey comes through. I hope for him he gets a chance. If it's not with us, then somewhere."

The Lions would get first call on Casey under the father-son rule and also have access to Academy midfielder Connor McFadyen.

^ I listened to the podcast this morning and he sounded very non-committal on Voss. that second last paragraph (there are 18 clubs and people are having a look at him) was the one that made you think he wasn't all that excited. Also he didn't even mention 'see where we sit at the back end of the draft' or 'rookie list' or anything which made me think he might struggle.

^ I listened to the podcast this morning and he sounded very non-committal on Voss. that second last paragraph (there are 18 clubs and people are having a look at him) was the one that made you think he wasn't all that excited. Also he didn't even mention 'see where we sit at the back end of the draft' or 'rookie list' or anything which made me think he might struggle.

Just trying to hose down expectations I expect, being the son of a Brownlow Medallist. He's a rookie chance at best, but by flying him up and giving him a few games signifies a definite interest for a player who didn't make his state U18 team. That said, I'd be surprised if they've formed a concrete opinion - on Casey or anyone for that matter.

Bailey Lambert playing his first game in Richmonds VFL over the weekend.
Has spent the year playing for an opposition club to one that I am involved.

I wish him well but honestly.
What's in a name? There would be 100 better players in our competition.

Lachie Harris, who plays for Caulfield Grammarians in the Amateurs, has been selected in the VAFA U19 side to play Vic Country this Sunday in Ballarat. No doubt the club continues to keep an eye on his development as well.
This lad had the biggest wraps on him - "best I've ever seen" at a certain age according to a few. It would be tough for these kids. I always felt he would be too small.

He gets to choose where he wants to go. And don’t be surprised if Essendon aren’t even in the equation.

I hope your right. Time will tell. We haven’t been on the receiving end of too much good news when players could choose between us as a father son or a major Melbourne club. He s in their NGA and would be spending a lot of time around the Bombers building relationships.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back