Father & Son & Academy Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

MJ has gotten heaps taller since I coached him in the U12s (obviously). I'd say he's on the taller side for a Rioli and I would expect him to grow taller than Daniel, Cyril, etc. Unfortunately you'll have to be very patient with MJ over the next couple of years. He's lived on the Islands his whole life but I'm mates with a lot of his cousins and they tell me he's keen to move to Darwin and/or Victoria eventually to further his schooling and football. Keep in mind that not many people rated Daniel as a draft prospect until a year out and he ended up going first round. So don't panic if we don't hear much about him. He's got good bloodlines and if he receives the right development, he'll certainly be able to play the game.

I'm sure the club could help him with his schooling. ;)

Thanks for the info.

MJ has gotten heaps taller since I coached him in the U12s (obviously). I'd say he's on the taller side for a Rioli and I would expect him to grow taller than Daniel, Cyril, etc. Unfortunately you'll have to be very patient with MJ over the next couple of years. He's lived on the Islands his whole life but I'm mates with a lot of his cousins and they tell me he's keen to move to Darwin and/or Victoria eventually to further his schooling and football. Keep in mind that not many people rated Daniel as a draft prospect until a year out and he ended up going first round. So don't panic if we don't hear much about him. He's got good bloodlines and if he receives the right development, he'll certainly be able to play the game. Also for anyone unsure of his age, he is 100% born in 2002, so 14 years old this year. Still a young fella.

Cheers for the update JDC! If memory serves his birthday is not far off Maurice seniors in September I think?

MJ has gotten heaps taller since I coached him in the U12s (obviously). I'd say he's on the taller side for a Rioli and I would expect him to grow taller than Daniel, Cyril, etc. Unfortunately you'll have to be very patient with MJ over the next couple of years. He's lived on the Islands his whole life but I'm mates with a lot of his cousins and they tell me he's keen to move to Darwin and/or Victoria eventually to further his schooling and football. Keep in mind that not many people rated Daniel as a draft prospect until a year out and he ended up going first round. So don't panic if we don't hear much about him. He's got good bloodlines and if he receives the right development, he'll certainly be able to play the game. Also for anyone unsure of his age, he is 100% born in 2002, so 14 years old this year. Still a young fella.
Should just hide him on the island to get as big of a discount as possible. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome. Must have some talent if he's selected as a bottom ager.
Small forward like his old man ?
Also that squad of 38 do you know if it gets cut further, or is that it for the U18 championship.?

He was part of the AIS-AFL Academy as a bottom ager as well. He isn't the only bottom ager in the squad, but it is clear his talent is rated.

Id also assume that as the squad has been announced publicly, there won't be any further cuts. But that's just an assumption.

Bishop is the man in regards to how he plays and where he plays. I believe he is a wingman though. Bishop can comment further.

I do recall Dan posted a pic of them together on Instagram calling the young fella a future tiger champ of something.

What have we become that we are pinning our hopes on a kid who's 4-5 years off being drafted:cry:

We have become exactly what we are ........very very desperate

Nothing wrong with being excited about having the son of a club champion earmarked for the Tiges. Having been a huge fan of Maurice I can't wait.
Can't wait either
But you can't deny that we are desperate for some luck with father son picks
Who knows could help set us up like it did with Geelong
And yes I know the system is different now

But I think the mods point was that if all we are looking forward to is a kid 4 years away what the hell is going on
That was when I made my comment

Awesome. Must have some talent if he's selected as a bottom ager.
Small forward like his old man ?
Also that squad of 38 do you know if it gets cut further, or is that it for the U18 championship.?

That is the final final squad. However, this year they don't need to play every player/two thirds of the list (or whatever it was!) unlike the previous years, so can just play the full best 23 each game. I'd like to think Naish will get a chance at some point.

He was part of the AIS-AFL Academy as a bottom ager as well. He isn't the only bottom ager in the squad, but it is clear his talent is rated.

Id also assume that as the squad has been announced publicly, there won't be any further cuts. But that's just an assumption.

Bishop is the man in regards to how he plays and where he plays. I believe he is a wingman though. Bishop can comment further.

Yep outside wingman usually. I'd probably classify him as a utility though, 180cm/67kg, hasn't played too much this year. Just two TAC Cup games + a Vic Metro trial game (along with the Level One squad in NZ).

That is the final final squad. However, this year they don't need to play every player/two thirds of the list (or whatever it was!) unlike the previous years, so can just play the full best 23 each game. I'd like to think Naish will get a chance at some point.

Yep outside wingman usually. I'd probably classify him as a utility though, 180cm/67kg, hasn't played too much this year. Just two TAC Cup games + a Vic Metro trial game (along with the Level One squad in NZ).
Hopefully he still grows a few cms and puts some meat on those bones. What is his kicking like? Good luck to the young lad.

Hopefully he still grows a few cms and puts some meat on those bones. What is his kicking like? Good luck to the young lad.

I know Brett Anderson ratea his skills and smarts. Again though, Bishops da man

Would have to agree with Brett, skills & smarts are pretty good. Kicked at 79% in the Vic Metro trial game for example in one of his better games of the season. Hoping to catch a school footy game or two of his to see how he is travelling.

We have become exactly what we are ........very very desperate

Essendon have some sort of doping/training program for father sons from 12 years old.

Adelaide board has a thread that has kept track of McLeod and Edwards kids since they were born.

We are not that desperate comparatively

Essendon have some sort of doping/training program for father sons from 12 years old.

Adelaide board has a thread that has kept track of McLeod and Edwards kids since they were born.

I'd like us to get smarter with it.
The dogs have had a lot of F/S options over the last few years but they don't take them all. But they always get it right.
And in Lachie Hunters case they hid him. He barely played TAC cup so they didn't have to overspend on him.

If Andrew MacLeod was a tiger, I'd be keeping a pretty close eye on the progress of his son(s). One of my all time favourite players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back