Review 'Father Time' caught up with Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

I already regret dredging up the Cloke thread again however Neil Balme's recent comments deserved some notice.

Now for the life of me I cannot find the interview on the interweb thingy but i did see it on Talking Footy Classified or some such football talking show. If anyone can pull this up or saw this as well perhaps a transcript could be acquired for accuracy.

Now Balme is supposed to be Richmond's head footy guy and somehow he wandered in to this interview and completely rubbished David Cloke's comments, defended Bucks & the clubs approach to Cloke and gave Clokey himself a clip over the ears. It was great work and we don't even employ him #standbybalme.

The one comment that stood out most was that he said Cloke "did not try and help himself" when his form dropped off. I found this an intriguing and incisive comment and implies perhaps that Trav gave up and was happy to collect a pay check.

The one comment that stood out most was that he said Cloke "did not try and help himself" when his form dropped off. I found this an intriguing and incisive comment and implies perhaps that Trav gave up and was happy to collect a pay check.

I reckon it has a lot to do with what a number of us have been saying on this board for over 12 months:
That while in black and white Cloke had been unwilling (or unsuccesful) to consistently change his game in a way that would a) prolong his career, b) make him useful in the modern day game, and c) compliment the rest of our forward line. (In comparison to say what Nick Reiwoldt has done).

So far he has shown more of a willingness to do this at the Dogs... whether this persists and how helpful he is to the dogs fwd line will be interesting to see.

I already regret dredging up the Cloke thread again however Neil Balme's recent comments deserved some notice.

Now for the life of me I cannot find the interview on the interweb thingy but i did see it on Talking Footy Classified or some such football talking show. If anyone can pull this up or saw this as well perhaps a transcript could be acquired for accuracy.

Now Balme is supposed to be Richmond's head footy guy and somehow he wandered in to this interview and completely rubbished David Cloke's comments, defended Bucks & the clubs approach to Cloke and gave Clokey himself a clip over the ears. It was great work and we don't even employ him #standbybalme.

I believe you are referring to his Friday morning spot on SEN. I heard the interview and posted on the Buckley thread which was followed up by a link to the comments by Anzacday.

Blames comments confirm my feeling that what the Pies asked of Trav, he wasn't prepared to work hard enough to do, but when put to him a second time by the Digs was happy to:
A) chop out in the ruck
B) trim down
C) be more mobile and run up the ground
D) continue to contest for marks
E) lay tackles and play his role defensively

A lot of the above helps me believe that Buckley knows what he is on about.

Blames comments confirm my feeling that what the Pies asked of Trav, he wasn't prepared to work hard enough to do, but when put to him a second time by the Digs was happy to:
A) chop out in the ruck
B) trim down

Unfortunately Buckley failed him. All instructions for Travis should have been made into a picture book to help him understand it.

David could have then read it to him before bedtime. His own little 'golden book'

A) chop out in the ruck
B) trim down

Although I'm not certain of the specifics, I tend to agree that if Trav does make a go of it at the Dogs it does not follow that the same could or would have happened at Collingwood. Trav wouldn't be the first player to decide to make necessary changes only after a foot in the tail.

gave just a small clip to the clokes. but balme sounded a little like he still
would like to be at the club. but l could be taking it the wrong way

Cloke's best days are well behind him. He doesn't move well or mark like he used to. It's been a couple of years now.

He'll have the odd decent game but a lot of ordinary ones.

gave just a small clip to the clokes. but balme sounded a little like he still
would like to be at the club. but l could be taking it the wrong way

He was asked to take a reduced role when we bought gubby in. He enjoyed working at Collingwood and felt he wasn't worthy of a reduced role hence he moved to Richmond. Of course he'd still like to be here.

Gubby getting suspended was karma in a way for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cloke's best days are well behind him. He doesn't move well or mark like he used to. It's been a couple of years now.

He'll have the odd decent game but a lot of ordinary ones.
His great weapon the contested mark, it's not what it used to be.
He's lost his great point of difference.

A good player even now, but just a good player at best, no longer in the A grade category

He was asked to take a reduced role when we bought gubby in. He enjoyed working at Collingwood and felt he wasn't worthy of a reduced role hence he moved to Richmond. Of course he'd still like to be here.

Gubby getting suspended was karma in a way for us.
We got Walsh back, somehow we escaped that Gubby drama as best we could

I would have thought Collingwood may have learnt something about putting players on long term , high value contracts through Trav but with the Mayne scenario perhaps not.
Hopefully there is a performance clause - there had better be a performance clause or heads should roll.

I would have thought Collingwood may have learnt something about putting players on long term , high value contracts through Trav but with the Mayne scenario perhaps not.
Hopefully there is a performance clause - there had better be a performance clause or heads should roll.
in all fairness these days if you want to get a player you have to put them on longer contracts than they used to do. Its the future unfortunately so you really need to get the right player

How do you know what he wasn't prepared to do v what he was told his role was?

Seems pretty clear to me that he was moved from CHF and a more mobile role to FF and a role closer to goal relying more on 1 on 1 contests. By definition that requires more strength and less run.

Seems pretty clear to me that he was moved from CHF and a more mobile role to FF and a role closer to goal relying more on 1 on 1 contests. By definition that requires more strength and less run.

That move was done about 4-5 years ago.

The last 12-24 months it became clear that our structure was no longer effective with Cloke in that role, he himself was a lot less effective, and the game had changed. We needed him to adapt and Bucks said as much last year.

Im pretty sure Cloked wouldve been sent the message multiple times, even to the point that Bucks had to mention it in the media, and he had to be sent back to the VFL multiple times... Clokes performances last year suggest that he didnt really get the message.

The weight he has lost this preseason suggests that maybe he finally has now got the message since moving clubs, but his performance (so far average) on field will be where the evidence will be.

Last edited:

Balme's recent comments seem to indicate that this is what occurred.

Even MM stood up for Buckley. It was gutter journalism by Robbo and it backfired on the Cloke family. Travis Cloke has a right to feel the way he does, there's no rule that says someone can't be deluded. Travis Cloke was 30 plus and no longer good at footy, inept at kicking for goal from 20 meters out directly in front. It's not Buckley's fault Travis is psychologically fragile.

Travis Cloke will be remembered as a Collingwood great, but his Dad, Damir, has done him no favors. I think that Damir has really been a toxic energy that has polluted the club since 2001 when Jason Cloke came onto the scene that meant his latest outburst united all ex Collingwood and current Magpie people alike.

Buckley came out of all this looking like absolute class, and Damir heaped the pressure on his son who can't handle it. Robbo got some click-bait, but oh what a gutter journalist with no moral compass at all that man is.

It's important to remember that Damir has been the most devoted and loyal of Dad's something when you take a step back you do realize it is something very redeeming. He obviously isn't perfect, far from it, and if the Cloke's have anyone to blame for the latest developments that seemed to unite anyone who's been through the doors of the Lexus Center they should really blame Slobbo for taking advantage of Damir's vindictive nature.

Last edited:
Cloke was very stiff on Friday night. He got "selcheated". It was clearly incorrect disposal against that little prick but the umpires decided in their own wisdom that it was push in the back against Cloke. Then the 50... i would have abused the umpires 20 times as much!! And the media went on their speil that Cloke was undisciplined. He never did get a fair go against the umps... still happening

Cloke was very stiff on Friday night. He got "selcheated". It was clearly incorrect disposal against that little prick but the umpires decided in their own wisdom that it was push in the back against Cloke. Then the 50... i would have abused the umpires 20 times as much!! And the media went on their speil that Cloke was undisciplined. He never did get a fair go against the umps... still happening
Sorry that was in the back, and as such a experience player he should have known better as their coach has thought the same thing in giving away the 50m

Remove this Banner Ad

Back