Society/Culture Father's Day or Special Persons Day? The case for change.

The name Father's Day seems a bit antiquated now that Fathers are not a perfunctory part of a family unit, and post-SSM (I assume it will pass and rightly so), what is the message that it sends, not only to children without present fathers, but also to gay couples?

I always dreaded Father's Day because I didn't want to include my father. He was an alcoholic and verbally abusive to all of us. So I sympathise with children in particular who want no part of this holiday for other reasons, ie. not having a present biological father at all.

What is your opinion on picking a more inclusive name? How would you go about it?

http://honey.nine.com.au/2017/08/30...-special-persons-day-backlash-on-social-media
Any idiot can get a doctorate these days...obviously.
I vote we have a "Totally Pointless Doctorate" day.

Great 2008

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i am a female Dad i have no problem retaining Fathers Day.

Dads are generally male. Have been in all cultures since History was recorded. (No offence) Hope you do a great job filling in.

But don't some kids have 2 fathers?

Biological impossibility unless you were inferring that the second dad is in fact the step dad. Then my mistake.

This non-existent war on fathers day is nice warm up for the non-existent war on christmas. A couple more years and some these mainstream media tabloid boobs will start churning out books about which these lemmings will lap up.

My work place now calls it Holiday Season lunch as just one more example of the war on Christmas.

kirsti

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United
Dads are generally male. Have been in all cultures since History was recorded. (No offence) Hope you do a great job filling in.

A fill in Dad please explain?

Biological impossibility unless you were inferring that the second dad is in fact the step dad. Then my mistake.

My work place now calls it Holiday Season lunch as just one more example of the war on Christmas.
i

Back