The Law Fatigued Driver Testing - Coming Soon?

Remove this Banner Ad

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
First it was the booze buses. Fair enough, after a certain amount of alcohol, motor and mental skills are impaired.

Then it was the drug buses. Fair enough, see above (although only for some drugs, others seem to improve ability, but whatever).

Now we are looking down the barrel of 'you didn't get enough sleep last night, mate'.

WTF is this s**t?

Roadside testing for driver fatigue could be rolled out in Victoria in a bid to reduce the road toll, the Victorian government has said.

VicRoads and Monash University are conducting trials that will test driver fatigue, with the hope of developing roadside testing technology that could one day test drivers' fatigue levels, alongside drug and alcohol use.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...gue-tests-on-the-horizon-20190329-p5192e.html

Hopefully this is just a smokescreen to take our attention away from some new corruption scandal or something.

But part of me thinks, actually, yeah, this is something they would do.

$$$

Policing fatigue is not a bad idea, however it should be treated as a health issue rather than a criminal one (offenders should not be fined and penalised demerit points etc)

Know someone who is working on this technology for truck drivers, monitors their eyes while they are driving. I thought "this will never be brought into cars" but ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...to-have-speed-limiters-by-2022-under-eu-plans

I'm pretty sure they already have this in WA. I'm pretty confident that QUBE use it, dunno about anyone else.

Luckily I can catch the bus to and from the airport now, I used to hate driving home from Melbourne Aport to Phillip Island at 6am having not slept for 26hrs. As soon as I'd get out of the city, I'd be looking for the first servo / maccas to pull into and sleep for half an hour or so, it made a massive difference.

I'm pretty sure they already have this in WA. I'm pretty confident that QUBE use it, dunno about anyone else.
That sounds about right, it's Seeing Machines that makes the tech and from a quick Google they have a partnership with Qube.

Luckily I can catch the bus to and from the airport now, I used to hate driving home from Melbourne Aport to Phillip Island at 6am having not slept for 26hrs. As soon as I'd get out of the city, I'd be looking for the first servo / maccas to pull into and sleep for half an hour or so, it made a massive difference.
Never used highway rest stops for years, but as I get older if I'm driving solo I find a quick nap makes the drive a lot better.

Policing fatigue is not a bad idea, however it should be treated as a health issue rather than a criminal one (offenders should not be fined and penalised demerit points etc)
I am happy for penalties to apply as long as there is a reasonable means for drivers to ensure they are compliant. Fatigue levels are far less easily input-controlled than BAC or drugs.

Woo.
If this gets up get ready for arrests for thinking naughty things.

Guess what I am thinking about the idiot who thought this BS up?
Guess how many cases will go straight to court won by the drivers.

Bang goes my licence. Even though I've been driving for decades and haven't had an accident for 20 years (it was minor), driven many, many thousands of kilometres as part of my jobs... I have a sleep disorder (since birth) so apparently I shouldn't be on the road. Yep, it may affect your driving ability but so does wearing glasses (they usually block part of your vision) colourblindness, mental state, blah blah. I honestly believe I lived during the best period of humanity and feel sorry for future generations.

We're heading for a world equal parts Nanny State and Big Brother. Give it 5 or 6 years and your car will be so wired up the police will email you a fine every time you don't put on your seatbelt. And I'm surprised there isn't already a push to fit every car with a GPS device for the purpose of monitoring your speed.

We're heading for a world equal parts Nanny State and Big Brother. Give it 5 or 6 years and your car will be so wired up the police will email you a fine every time you don't put on your seatbelt. And I'm surprised there isn't already a push to fit every car with a GPS device for the purpose of monitoring your speed.
I was just thinking about this today. They could probably save and make themselves a lot of money if they fit cars with a device that reports in once a month with your driving habits. Some cars already have the system that reads speed limit signs so if they can do that it's not a stretch for them to know what your speed is within that speed limit,given your speed is constantly being measured and displayed by your car's computer. Speed cameras may soon be obsolete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back