Fave 20 songs..........free choice!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Shinboners

Aint nothin' wrong with listening to country music. Although we should make the distinction between EVIL country (Garth Brooks, Lee Ane Rimes, anything that has to do with line dancing) and GOOD country (Wilco, Scud Mountain Boys, etc.)

Ahhh see it must be GOOD country that I like, because I do like Wilco (well, at least, some of their songs), and very much dislike the evil Lee Ann Rimes.
:)

Had me scared for a moment when NYMets mentioned the word TRENDY. Mostly because I don't really know anyone who likes some of the music I do, and I quite like it that way.

(edited to say, that I'm relatively new to this type of music, any suggestions on bands to have a listen to would be much appreciated)

Aint nothin' wrong with listening to country music. Although we should make the distinction between EVIL country (Garth Brooks, Lee Ane Rimes, anything that has to do with line dancing) and GOOD country (Wilco, Scud Mountain Boys, etc.)

I think the distinction may be the difference between country (corny tales of woe) and western (which can be brilliant...Texas swing like Bob Wills, Asleep at the Wheel, and almost every song on the album Western Songs by Emmy Lou Harris] Some old country rock was alright too - Riders of the Purple Sage, the Byrds, Steve Miller, Workingman's Dead, some Lowell George of Little Feat ( my fave):) etc.

having said that - bluegrass had some amazing fiddle and folk tunes. But I grew up hating commercial country..when we went on cars trips that's what would dominate the radio when we drove south and west and we'd howl in the backseat...."so uncool"

Originally posted by NYMets
I think the distinction may be the difference between country (corny tales of woe) and western (which can be brilliant...Texas swing like Bob Wills, Asleep at the Wheel, and almost every song on the album Western Songs by Emmy Lou Harris] Some old country rock was alright too - Riders of the Purple Sage, the Byrds, Steve Miller, Workingman's Dead, some Lowell George of Little Feat ( my fave):) etc.

I think you probably know more about C&W than what I do....I certainly can't make the distinction between country and western like you have.

For me, Wilco is (at the moment) as heavily country as I get, and only some of their stuff is strictly country. But bands like Wilco and Scud Mountain Boys/Pernice Brothers write pop songs where there is a distinct country flavour (whether by instrumentation or how they sing their songs). A band like Mazzy Star has their singer, Hope Sandoval, singing in a country style (that mid-Western and Southern inflection in the voice).

Anyway, my recommendations are: Scud Mountain Boys/Pernice Brothers/Joe Pernice (Overwhelmed By Happiness is brilliant), Wilco, Mazzy Star, Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown, Golden Rough, the Mabels, Edith Frost, Lois Maffeo (The Union Themes CD is excellent)....the Magnetic Fields also did an "electronic" country album called "The Charm Of The Highway Strip" and that has its moments too.

Originally posted by aggels
(edited to say, that I'm relatively new to this type of music, any suggestions on bands to have a listen to would be much appreciated)

See my post above!

Or if you want, send me a PM or e-mail and I'd be happy to make a C60 tape full of country flavoured pop.

Originally posted by aggels

Had me scared for a moment when NYMets mentioned the word TRENDY. Mostly because I don't really know anyone who likes some of the music I do, and I quite like it that way.

No I was just laughing at the idea of a the once very punk and urban Ms M dressed up in the cowboy gear. But as with a lot of things with her (I admire her "nous") she has a commercial purpose as for the past several years country has crossed over into Pop.....Dixie Chicks, Faith Hill, Shania Twain are major sellers. Last year every time I'd watch Letterman there was another rock or pop singer going country....even Bette Midler for chissakes!!

I think you probably know more about C&W than what I do....I certainly can't make the distinction between country and western like you have.

For me, Wilco is (at the moment) as heavily country as I get, and only some of their stuff is strictly country. But bands like Wilco and Scud Mountain Boys/Pernice Brothers write pop songs where there is a distinct country flavour (whether by instrumentation or how they sing their songs). A band like Mazzy Star has their singer, Hope Sandoval, singing in a country style (that mid-Western and Southern inflection in the voice).

Anyway, my recommendations are: Scud Mountain Boys/Pernice Brothers/Joe Pernice (Overwhelmed By Happiness is brilliant), Wilco, Mazzy Star, Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown, Golden Rough, the Mabels, Edith Frost, Lois Maffeo (The Union Themes CD is excellent)....the Magnetic Fields also did an "electronic" country album called "The Charm Of The Highway Strip" and that has its moments too.
Wow as to your first statement "No Way!" I've been avoiding it for years LOL and I can honestly say that I have never even heard of ANY of these bands that you've mentioned. Are they Australian?

I saw a George Clooney movie last year (by those two eccentric bros...now what was it called?) It was almost a musical -it had so much old fashioned country in it....and the soundtrack was a best seller in the US .......that's the last country I've listened to.:D :D

it's nice of you to offer to tape stuff.

While we're here and talking about music genres...anyone else here that is/was into the mod scene and liked listening and dancing to 60s soul music...Northern soul, doo-wop, Detriot sounds, girlie groups etc. etc.

you mean like this?

get on board the soul train...

Spanish Harlem:Checkmates (or Laura Nyro)
Hold on, I'm A Comin': Sam & Dave
Uptown: The Crystals
In the Midnight Hour: Wilson Pickett
Try a little Tenderness: Otis Redding
Do Right Man: Aretha
Tears of a Clown: Smokie Robinson & the Miracles
When a Man loves a woman: Percy Sledge
Under the Boardwalk: The Drifters
Let Me take You There : The Staple Singers
WIll You Love me Tommorrow? :Shirelles
Cut the Cake: Average White Band
He's So Fine: The Chiffons
What's Going on : Marvin Gaye
It's Just My Imagination(Running Away with Me): Temptations
Jackie Wilson Said; Van Morrison
Midnight Train to Georgia: Gladys Knight & the Pips
He got Game : Public Enemy
The Israelite ; Desmond Dekker
Isn't She Lovely (long version): Stevie Wonder
Reach Out (I'll Be There): Four Tops
My Guy: Mary Wells
Wake up ( I Wanna) Make like A Sex Machine: James Brown
Take a little Piece of My Heart: Janice Joplin
Backstabbin':O'Jays
Mo Money Mo Problems: Notorious BIG
Stand by Me : Ben E King
Anyone Who Had A Heart: Dionne Warwick
Tell it like it Is: Aaron Neville
Shotgun: Jr Walker & the All Stars
No Women No Cry: Bob Marley
Be My Baby: The Ronnettes
Brown Sugar: Rolling Stones
Hey Joe: Jimi Hendrix
You Lost that Loving Feeling: Righteous Bros
I'll be Missing You:puff Daddy
Rescue Me: Fontella Bass
Here Comes the Night: Beach Boys
You Keep Me Hanging on: Supremes
River Deep, Mountain High : Ike & Tina Turner
If You Don't Know Me By Now:Howard Melvin
One Nation Under A Groove: Funkadelic

While we're here and talking about music genres...anyone else here that is/was into the mod scene and liked listening and dancing to 60s soul music...Northern soul, doo-wop, Detriot sounds, girlie groups etc. etc.

YES!!!!!!!! I dunno if I could name a list, but yeah, especially the girl groups and all the Motown stuff. Sensational. :cool:

Originally posted by NYMets
Wow as to your first statement "No Way!" I've been avoiding it for years LOL and I can honestly say that I have never even heard of ANY of these bands that you've mentioned. Are they Australian?

Scud Mountain Boys/Pernice Brothers/Joe Pernice, Wilco, Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown, Lois Maffeo, and Edith Frost are all from the United States. Golden Rough and the Mabels are Australian.

I started to listening to more country influenced music because a lot of the bands I liked started to play that style of music. It took a while for me to appreciate it, but when it happens, it's great to listen to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by lioness22

YES!!!!!!!! I dunno if I could name a list, but yeah, especially the girl groups and all the Motown stuff. Sensational. :cool:

Have you ever been to the soul nights that The Kommisar used to run every now and again in Melbourne? Then there's Thursday night at Cherry (not sure if it's still on....I haven't been there for a while) where they'd have a soul night. My God...some of those mods can really dance...... :)

Have you ever been to the soul nights that The Kommisar used to run every now and again in Melbourne? Then there's Thursday night at Cherry (not sure if it's still on....I haven't been there for a while) where they'd have a soul night. My God...some of those mods can really dance...... :)
[/QUOTE

Hey! I'm jealous...I come from "the Land of 1000 Dances"!:(

Yep...that's it! :D

I buy a lot of the GOLDMINE soul compilations.....ace for finding those gems that are perfect to dance to!

Goldmine eh? I will have to look out for them. I miss the old soul music.

As for the country stuff before .....I will check some of your suggestions out but I dunno;) the only Wilco I know is that guy from The Fat:D Please try Emily Lou's Western Songs esp. if you like soul music........that is the soul of the prairie.

Thanks for that info NYMEts....I'll look out for that Emily Lou CD.

For the soul compilations, you should be able to find find Goldmine at www.firstnet.co.uk/goldsoul I haven't looked at the site myself because I just buy them from my local indie shop, but I got the website from the back of one of the CDs. The good ones to get are "Totally Northern Soul", "Lost And Found", and "Northern Soul Fever".

Another label worth checking out is Kent, who like Goldmine, release plenty of compliation CDs. The best Kent CD that I've got is called "Still Paying Our Dues".....very, very dancey.

Time for another list and here are some of Shinner's favourite soul songs:

"Please Operator" by Tony and Tyrone
"You Got To Pay Your Dues" by The Drifters
"(I've Got To Find) Happiness" by the Ambassadors
"Lost And Found" by Kenny Carlton
"She Don't Deserve You" by the Honeybees
"Everybody's Happy But Me" by Cheryl Williams
"I'm Coming Apart At The Seams" by Kittens Three
"I'll Bet You" by Theresa Lindsay
"My Dear Heart" by Shawn Robinson
"Be Careful Girl" by Betty Turner
"My Heart Is In Danger" by Alder Ray
"It's Gonna Be All Right" by Theola Kilgore
"All Of My Life" by Detroit Soul
"Pearl" by Tamiko Jones
"She Tried To Kiss Me" by the Butlers
"Stronger Than Her Love" by the Flirtations

From one of the all time greats - Neil Young

Cortez the Killer
Hey Hey My My
Cowgirl in the Sand
Down by the River
The Needle & the Damage done
Old Man
Heart of Gold
Tonights the Night
Like a Hurricane
Man needs a maid
After the Gold Rush
Southern Man
Helpless
Rockin in the Free World
Comes a Time
Powderfinger
I Believe in You
Pochahontas
Cinnamon Girl
Ohio

Favourite Rush songs, in chronological order, because I can't rank them.

Finding My Way (Rush)
Working Man (Rush)
Anthem (Fly By Night)
By-Tor and The Snow Dog (Fly By Night)
Bastille Day (Caress Of Steel)
2112 (2112)
Something For Nothing (2112)
Closer To The Heart (A Farewell To Kings)
The Trees (Hemispheres)
La Villa Strangiato (Hemispheres)
Spirit Of Radio (Permanent Waves)
Freewill (Permanent Waves)
Tom Sawyer (Moving Pictures)
Red Barchetta (Moving Pictures)
Distant Early Warning (Grace Under Pressure)
Red Sector A (Grace Under Pressure)
The Big Money (Power Windows)
Turn The Page (Hold Your Fire)
Face Up (Roll The Bones)
Roll the Bones (Roll The Bones)
Nobody's Hero (Counterparts)
The Speed Of Love (Counterparts)
Test For Echo (Test For Echo)
Half The World (Test For Echo)
The Colour Of Right (Test For Echo)

More than 20, but couldn't cut it down any more. There's a heap more I could have added.

Originally posted by Darky
Top 20 Iron Maiden songs, once again in rough chronological order (1980-1998), all album versions unless stated :

Phantom Of The Opera (Live version, The First Ten Years, EP II)
Burning Ambition (non-album track)
Drifter (album track and live version, The First Ten Years, EP I – equally brilliant)
Killers (album track, and live version with different lyrics, recorded at The Rainbow in London, 1980)
Murders In The Rue Morgue
The Prisoner
22 Acacia Avenue
Number Of The Beast
Run To The Hills
Where Eagles Dare
Die With Your Boots On
Aces High
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Wasted Years
Alexander The Great
Only The Good Die Young
Tailgunner
Holy Smoke
Sign of the Cross
The Clansman

Nice one, Darky. My 20, leaving out songs you have already put in your list (and not including Blaze Blayney albums). Same period.

Transylvania (Instrumental)
Charlotte The Harlot
Iron Maiden
The Ides Of March/Wrathchild
Women In Uniform
Children Of The Damned
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Revelations
Flight Of Icarus
The Trooper
2 Minutes To Midnight
Powerslave
Caught Somewhere In Time
Stranger In A Strange Land
Can I Play With Madness
No Prayer For The Dying
Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter
Be Quick Or Be Dead
Wasting Love
Fear Of The Dark

Anyone up to do a top 20 from musicals? I don't know enough songs, but this heavy metal needs balancing out

:D

Nominations:

Clim'b Ev'ry Moun'tain (Sound of Music)
Red and Black, Stars, Do You Hear the People Sing, and the trio between Cosette, Eponine and Marius (don't know the name) (Les Mis)
All I Ask of You (Phantom?)

My top 20 by The Angels

20. Lyin' awake in bed
19. Child in you
18. Pushing & Shoving
17. No Secrets
16. Face the Day
15. Dawn is breaking
14. Is that you?
13. Let the night roll on
12. Did you hurt somebody?
11. Beyond salvation