#fave7horses , group races and best horses ever discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunline - her second Cox Plate was a great story for me. Working all weekend on uni s**t I had a ten minute break to duck over to the TAB. All the talk was Sky Heights, I was getting nervous, having put my biggest ever uni student bet on a race. As usual she led, sure it was pretty slow but she smashed them none the less. A champion.

Lonhro - that Aus cup win.

El Segundo - best Cox plate collect ever.

Happy Trails - successfully chased a day's losses and more at Flemington on this one at Morphettville.

Went on to get the best out of itself.
A good, solid overachiever.

Jopa - but of an in joke with mates, just seem to have been lucky with this one over the journey, backing it at the right races and usually pays about ten bucks too.

Makybe Diva - a champion becomes a legend, and how about that 2005 cox plate effort.

Hay List - bloody great horse who ran into the greatest and had to settle for second so many times. I had faith it could grab the Newmarket carrying a caravan and felt pretty chuffed when it hung on.

Honorable mention:

Black Caviar. Well yeah she was the greatest but you know it's not the same when they are just too short to back.

Dishonorable mention:

Lad of the Manor. Was a bit of a muncher for me. A forgettable horse, but it did beat MD at WFA so had his moment.

Sunline - her second Cox Plate was a great story for me. Working all weekend on uni s**t I had a ten minute break to duck over to the TAB. All the talk was Sky Heights, I was getting nervous, having put my biggest ever uni student bet on a race. As usual she led, sure it was pretty slow but she smashed them none the less. A champion.

Lonhro - that Aus cup win.

El Segundo - best Cox plate collect ever.

Happy Trails - successfully chased a day's losses and more at Flemington on this one at Morphettville.

Went on to get the best out of itself.
A good, solid overachiever.

Jopa - but of an in joke with mates, just seem to have been lucky with this one over the journey, backing it at the right races and usually pays about ten bucks too.

Makybe Diva - a champion becomes a legend, and how about that 2005 cox plate effort.

Hay List - bloody great horse who ran into the greatest and had to settle for second so many times. I had faith it could grab the Newmarket carrying a caravan and felt pretty chuffed when it hung on.

Honorable mention:

Black Caviar. Well yeah she was the greatest but you know it's not the same when they are just too short to back.

Dishonorable mention:

Lad of the Manor. Was a bit of a muncher for me. A forgettable horse, but it did beat MD at WFA so had his moment.
I like how all yours were all about the punt! If it was about the punt my list would be totally differerent.

The mighty Lightening Leroy would be no 1! I think the best race he ever won was a class 2

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Bonecrusher
Black Caviar
Takeover Target
Vo Rogue
Sunline
Campaign King
Might and Power
Nice list.
Mine is:
Octagonal/Black Caviar - I couldn't split them
Sunline
Might and Power
Takeover Target
Lets Elope
Apache Cat

A special mention to Vo Rogue who raced before I started punting. However, his racing style is spine-tingling!
I really wanted to put Schillaci in there as well. You can't take them all.

I saw a few good horses as a kid but never had much money on them :p

Elvstroem
Maldivian
Atlantic Jewel
Divine Madonna
Chautaqua
Black Caviar
Efficient

. I could have put River Rough in as well. one of my favorite sprinters, not top top class but honest as the day is long

reckon thats a bit tough, won a Lightning & a William Reid amongst others in a strong sprinting era.
Also harshly judged as he came along soon after his legendary stablemate Manikato

seth

reckon thats a bit tough, won a Lightning & a William Reid amongst others in a strong sprinting era.
Also harshly judged as he came along soon after his legendary stablemate Manikato

seth[/QUOTE....
i am not denigrating the horse. i loved it too. i suppose it liked running 2nd a lot which is why i would describe it as not totally top class. my definition of top class might be different to yours though. i dont consider Lohnro top class....

11x G1 winner not top class? o_O Not going to have many top class horses if them ones aren't even making the cut

Most overrated horse in Australian racing history - would be lucky to scrape into my top 20 :thumbsdown:

#gutless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In time order

Let's Elope - got me hooked on the game as a kid
Makybe Diva - a champion becomes a legend
So You Think - watch his Arc replay, retweet if you cry :'(
Frankel - THE best ever
Black Caviar - Australia's best ever
Kingman - briefly shone oh so brightly
Coneygree - first novice to win the Cheltenham Gold Cup for 40 years!

The best ever? Really?

Only been on the scene the last decade or so so don't have the historical knowledge of some of you blokes. That said my 7:

Black Caviar - Became a bit of a fanboy, was at the track for 13 of her 25
Makybe Diva - Probably the horse that sparked my racing interest
Theseo - Loved his fight, won at good odds a number of times for me
Zipping - Surprised there hasn't been more love for him
Whobegotyou - Always felt like an underdog despite being hugely talented
So You Think - That 4 year old season:handok:
Boban - If only for his Emirates Stakes win, both the style he did it and the amount he won me :tonguewink:

11x G1 winner not top class? o_O Not going to have many top class horses if them ones aren't even making the cut
He won a lot of the group 1's that shouldnt be group 1s such as the Caufield stakes and Orr stakes. He also totally avoided the big handicaps and when he did run in them he failed. He is a "cottonwool champion" placed to increase his stud value. Granted his Caulfield Guineas win was huge. His Australian cup peformance...overated . Only other good horse in that race was a immature Makybe Diva

yeah we really need to really slash about half of our group 1's. on an international scale it's a bit of a laugh that we have more G1's than France, Ireland and UK combined (at a guess). would be nice to get an international body to do it. there's probably only 20 group 1's that are are consistent enough to be considered.

wouldn't even be hard to get rid of half of them.

Off the top of my head in age then timeline/distance order.

Blue Diamond
Golden Slipper
Sires Produce
Golden Rose
Thousand Guineas
Caulfield Guineas
VRC Derby
Coolmore stud stakes
Randwick Guineas
ATC Derby
ATC Oaks
Caulfield Cup
Cox Plate
Myer stakes
Emirates Stakes
Mackinnon
Melbourne Cup
Queen Elizabeth
BMW
Manikato
VRC Classic
Lightning
Newmarket
TJ Smith
George Ryder
Doncaster handicap
Stradbroke

are the only ones i would run. maybe give WA and SA one and QLD an extra to make them feel like they aren't worthless. thats 27 so i think i cut about 40-50 odd. Sydney cup, Aus Cup (dead now), VRC oaks and Queen of the Turf the notable exclusions. only 5 races over more than 2000m and half a 2/3 year olds which i think is a fair indication of our talent pool.

obviously changes historically. would have been out of this world to leave out Aus Cup 10 years ago, some I left in for the sake of distance ie thousand guineas for fillies over a mile and BMW a wfa mile and a half. these are probably the only modern ones i take notice of. even then the QE is a baby and most others are often depleted ie manikato to complete saturation of g1 races like the moir. Orr, Memsie's.

*did on my phone may have missed 1 or 2.

He won a lot of the group 1's that shouldnt be group 1s such as the Caufield stakes and Orr stakes. He also totally avoided the big handicaps and when he did run in them he failed. He is a "cottonwool champion" placed to increase his stud value. Granted his Caulfield Guineas win was huge. His Australian cup peformance...overated . Only other good horse in that race was a immature Makybe Diva

Not saying he was a superstar but he was definitely top class when he was racing

By the way Mummify and Elvstroem also went alright

Octagonal
Northerly
Black Caviar
So You Think
Tie The Knot
Might and Power
Red Tracer

Honourable mentions to Shoot Out, Juggler, Our Maizcay, Black Heart Bart, Plastered, Atlantic Jewel, Saintly, Let's Elope, Doriemus, Makybe Diva, Hareeba, Paris Lane, Sunline, Filante, etc. etc.

The question is should Australia be viewed as UK/Ireland (so 2 Derbies Oaks Guineas etc) or just the UK (one of each) . I'll say the former is more likely even though I'd say we should drop down to the latter. Using Liefs list as a guideline - I've got us to 23 which seems about right.

Blue Diamond
Golden Slipper
Sires Produce - no way - if you do need another for 2yos it should be the Champagne at a mile
Golden Rose - Liefs plz - nothing race created for the sales - in between distance - inferior to later spring events

Thousand Guineas
Caulfield Guineas
VRC Derby
VRC Oaks - either have 2 of each or 1 of each
Coolmore stud stakes
Randwick Guineas
Flight Stakes - moved to Autumn
ATC Derby
ATC Oaks
Caulfield Cup
Cox Plate
Myer stakes
Emirates Stakes - sorry Cup week - extremely poor mans Doncaster - also trying to minimise HCP G1's as much as possible - you can stay if you make it WFA
Mackinnon - LOL - you can't turf the Australian Cup and keep this - GONE

Melbourne Cup
Queen Elizabeth
BMW
Queensland Oaks - revamped to WFA 2400m for all females - token nod to QLD racing
Manikato - too may Sprints - this one the unlucky one to miss out as its run at a dog track
VRC Classic
Lightning
Newmarket
TJ Smith
George Ryder
Doncaster handicap
Stradbroke - LOL -swamp fest for horses not good enough to run in Spring/Autumn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back