Favorite Pagan Home & Away Season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Remember we are talking H&A not Finals...

For me it was 1993...

After being pumped by Adelaide in the preseason comp... to the tune of 147 points... Schimma gets the chop...

We have no Sponsor...
We have no Coach...
We have no Captain...
and no expectations of success...

then the Messiah returns...
Carey is named Captain...

By the end of the season the North Melbourne Football Clubhas finished in third position... with the best percentage in the league... beating both eventual Grand Finalists by 6 goals... thumping Sydney by 124 points... and the only reason we missed a double chance in the finals.. was because Kernahan could not kick a point from 30 metres out...

Watching the sensational debut of Adrian McAdam...

The only regret in the H&A season was Johnny doing his knee in round 22... and stopping him from being one of the Leagues Greatest ever Full Forwards...

Yeah 1993 for me as well. After being an ordinary side (even in finals years) for my whole lifetime as a Roos supporter (since 1981), it was good to finally see a side that was convincing when it won.
We gave out some absolute hidings that year, and Adrian McAdam played a huge part in that with some big bags. Wasn't that the year that Carey, McAdam and Longmire each kicked 50+ and Roberts kicked about 47? Rained goals all year.
I will never forget that Swans game where we kicked 35.19, or the Essendon game where it was almost level at the last break and Longmire had Fletcher put on him, and kicked I think 5 in the last term to win us the game. Carey had about 6 opponents that night too. It the first year where Carey really dominated for the whole season. Luckily we've seen him do it a few times since as well. :)
Great game, great year.
1996 was the other really good year. Belted a few teams that year too, and it was arguably Wayne's best. Fitting that the King won the B&F in the Premiership year.

Darky... 98 would be my second best pick... how many wins in a row was it??? can't remember off the top of my head... 11 or 13...

and rnd 22 v Bulldogs best H&A game of the nineties...

1996 - for sheer consistency throughout the season. I remember we'd win 3 games then lose 1 and that happened all through the home and away season. When we lost, we were thrashed, but we also knew we'd bounce back the following week.

1993 - Rooboy has this well covered.

1998 - the first half of the season was appalling, the nadir being the game vs Richmond where the whole team looked totally disinterested. We lost to Hawthorn the following week (Grant just missed a goal in the dying seconds), but the following week, things turned around with a win against the Saints (McCartney's first good game in our colours!) and for the next 12 games, the team played the best football ever under Pagan.

1999 - The football wasn't that great, but the number of times that North came back from 5 or 6 goal deficits to grind out wins showed the heart and courage of the side. It wasn't as talented a side as the '96 or '98 units, but the sheer determination of the team was something to behold.

I'm agreeing with Rooboy here...unbelievable at it may seem. 1993 was my favourite Pagan H&A season.
After the trashing at the hands of Adelaide, I really thought it would be the end of Kangaroos. How one man could make such a difference is beyond me, but Denis did, and for that reason alone I'd rate him the greatest coach in AFL history.

1996 for me - need I say more.

1998 - Just as good, Shinners, you mention about us losing 3 games, lucky for me I was overseas at the time and missed 4 games, the week we got back we started winning again...:D

96 for me, we had a lot of ups and down off the field, but beating Carlton after they dumped us in 95 was one of the best games I went to. Our supporters were great, and from memory it was a night game, you just knew that we were going to kill them. It was also the day after we had found out that the AFL had also dumped us from being the one to merge with Fitzroy.

it's hard to separate the finals results from the feelings about each season

so whether for that reason or not, '96 is my pick too. I remember the Carlton game well, Daphne - it was a hugely memorable win after the disappointments of the merger business and especially after the cold, wet preliminary final the year before (one of my worst football experiences, stuck high in the Ponsford stand wet to the bone). I called the next Monday after the Carlton win to join as a member, so I feel like my real love affair with the Roos started that night.

there were some other great wins that year too, and we saw Corey in full flight week after week - is there a better sight in football?

great topic - and god it's been a brilliant nine years (and counting) for Pagan and the club

1999 for mine

Just due to the fact that no matter how far the Kangas were behind during the game you knew that they weren't beaten - and all the other teams and supporters knew it too!

Also just sitting and watching the footy with a smirk on my face and getting the odd wink from kangas supporters around me - a great time to go to the footy!!

Closely followed by 96 and 98!

Cheers

Gonzo

My favourite H&A Pagan years in order:

1: 1993 - Well covered by Rooboy

2: 1996- Felt all year "this is it!"

3: 1998- Great second half with some terrific comebacks

4: 1999- Just for thumping the Crows twice!

5: 1994- Carey establishing himself as "the greatest"

6: 1995- Just ok but beating Richmond in the final was good fun.

7: 1997- Did quite well without Carey for a lot of the season

8: 2000- Must admit I didn't enjoy it much but some good "bursts".

Originally posted by Darky
Yeah 1993 for me as well. and Adrian McAdam played a huge part in that with some big bags. Wasn't that the year that Carey, McAdam and Longmire each kicked 50+ and Roberts kicked about 47? Rained goals all year.
I will never forget that Swans game where we kicked 35.19, or the Essendon game where it was almost level at the last break and Longmire had Fletcher put on him, and kicked I think 5 in the last term to win us the game. Great game, great year.
1996 was the other really good year. Belted a few teams that year too, and it was arguably Wayne's best. Fitting that the King won the B&F in the Premiership year.
:)

Oh Darky......

I remember that Essendon game.SHEER BLISS.

That 3 pronged FF line was sensational.

I can recall a St Kilda fan saying they had been stuck with the dud McAdam. Geez he was brash. Showed the opposition the ball(stuck it in thier face on occasion).

My wife reminds me of how pissed off I was when Johnny Longmire had a marking decision reversed in the last quarter when the boys pulled out the finger and started to catch up.
That was the start of the ...GEEZ tell me when its all over phase.

A good turn around and a sensational win.

93 was a very good hame and away year , I must agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by DEVO
I'm agreeing with Rooboy here...unbelievable at it may seem. 1993 was my favourite Pagan H&A season.
After the trashing at the hands of Adelaide, I really thought it would be the end of Kangaroos. How one man could make such a difference is beyond me, but Denis did, and for that reason alone I'd rate him the greatest coach in AFL history.

DEVO... a very encouraging post by you... I think you may be turning the corner...

Good topic Rooboy. The most enjoyable h&a year for me was 1998. It brought together the old (A number of the 96 boys) and it introduced some exciting new talent (Pickett, Harvey, Welsh) in addition to some recruits from other clubs (Grant, Abraham, McCartney). It was the year that we saw the best of Wayne, and the year I lost all respect for the Brownlow medal. And to top it off, someone mentioned earlier, we did see the best h&a game in round 22 against the Doggies.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96

DEVO... a very encouraging post by you... I think you may be turning the corner...

Gee, I thought you were starting to think like me. As for me turning the corner, I doubt it.
Consider this a one off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back