Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
What was your favourite TV replay program-the ABC's The Winners, or the Seven Network's Seven's Big League?

[YOUTUBE]Dz3MXMPe6IM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]5-L5jMNf3Ww[/YOUTUBE]

Seven's Big League because it went for two hours every Saturday night after tea. Perfect before you went out Saturday night.
I would watch both though. Just record whatever footy was on both channel's over the weekend and catch up when part of one was still on when the other started.

Sevens Big League for me. I don’t reckon we ever got the Winners...it was only when I moved to WA that I ever heard about this Winners show.

As a kid I was always hoping the Pies would be the main match shown on Big League as you got about half of that match plus a good deal of highlights of the other 2 qtrs, however the other matches on that day you would just get the scraps...

Seven's Big League because it went for two hours every Saturday night after tea. Perfect before you went out Saturday night.
I would watch both though. Just record whatever footy was on both channel's over the weekend and catch up when part of one was still on when the other started.

If you have retained any of the tapes you made, please don't throw them away.
So much footage was lost. Your recording might be the only record left.

If you have retained any of the tapes you made, please don't throw them away.
So much footage was lost. Your recording might be the only record left.
Do not worry. Have no intention to. At some point want to have a look through what I got overall. Some of stuff I wish I still had was recordings of Centenary Test from Lord's when we first had a video recorder at home. But I know most of what was recorded back then got re-recorder over by my Mum with such things as Gardening Shows...lol.

I know some of things I did keep were the 1981 grand final, 1982 grand final, etc etc when watched live at home and started to keep my own tapes rather than use parents tapes. But stuff like Seven's Big League I tended to only keep a little bit and record over with the next week's episode so things like complete recordings of Seven's Big League or ABC show "The Winners" I really doubt I will find much of.

Dead heat. Does anyone remember the abc show who won and why ?
Nope.
I do remember there was a second replay show by ABC turn up in mid 1980's. A Pleasant Sunday Morning was another footy replay show but think it went longer than just an hour. Maybe on at 9 am Sunday mornings for a couple of years. Maybe it stopped in 1987 when ABC was only free to air coverage of the footy.

1986 round 1. Seven's Big League on the Saturday

The same round but the Easter Monday replay show which interesting because it shows probably biggest recruiting off-season I can remember.
Swans have 7 new players from other clubs make their debut in round one, plus new coach Tom Hafey.
Merv Neagle of Essendon, Jim Edmond of Dogs, Gerard Healy of Melbourne, Paul Morwood of Saints, David Bolton of Geelong, Bernard Toohey of Geelong, Greg Williams of Geelong and previous Geelong coach Tom Hafey all came of Sydney with cheque book out big time.

If this connected 11 mins and 30 seconds into this video , how many weeks does he get?

Do not worry. Have no intention to. At some point want to have a look through what I got overall. Some of stuff I wish I still had was recordings of Centenary Test from Lord's when we first had a video recorder at home. But I know most of what was recorded back then got re-recorder over by my Mum with such things as Gardening Shows...lol.

I know some of things I did keep were the 1981 grand final, 1982 grand final, etc etc when watched live at home and started to keep my own tapes rather than use parents tapes. But stuff like Seven's Big League I tended to only keep a little bit and record over with the next week's episode so things like complete recordings of Seven's Big League or ABC show "The Winners" I really doubt I will find much of.
Basically the same thing 7 and ABC did. Well hopefully you find something. Maybe at the tail end of the tapes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back