Favourite 12th man moment

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
From the Album Still The 12th Man.

Richie: No need to lock the door Michael.

Max: Surprise Richie it’s not Michael!

Richie: Max!! (Dramatic sound effect) What the hell do you think your doing? your not allowed in here.

Max: (clapping bat) Well Richie I have this big Mother *er of a cricket bat here that says I am.

Richie: (to himself) oh no my nightmare.

Max: Well Rich I just want a chance to prove myself that’s all I want. So play it cool and every thing will be fine.

Richie: Max I can’t let you call the game Arrrrr.. Take a seat Max.

Max: Yeah thanks Rich.

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
From the Album Still The 12th Man.

Richie: No need to lock the door Michael.

Max: Surprise Richie it’s not Michael!

Richie: Max!! (Dramatic sound effect) What the hell do you think your doing? your not allowed in here.

Max: (clapping bat) Well Richie I have this big Mother ****** of a cricket bat here that says I am.

Richie: (to himself) oh no my nightmare.

Max: Well Rich I just want a chance to prove myself that’s all I want. So play it cool and every thing will be fine.

Richie: Max I can’t let you call the game Arrrrr.. Take a seat Max.

Max: Yeah thanks Rich.

Hahahahaha Richie recounting the nightmare early that day is probably one of my favourite all time lines:

Richie: anyway he’s saying, ‘put me back on the team ya bastard.’
Mrs Richie: *distressed at the word bastard* oh Richie please!
Richie: sorry love. Anyway he’s saying ‘gimme me F**KEN job back or I’ll take ya F**KEN head orfff.’
Mrs Richie: gee that’s not very nice.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Another personal favourite moment is when in The Final Dig all the boys are standing around discussing how it’s unlikely any of them will get the hosts gig.

Tony seems to be the ringleader and addresses that he and Bill probably won’t get the job because they hijacked the commentary box.

Then he says something like:

“And they probably won’t give it to you Chappelli in case you say something like (puts on an Ian Chappell voice) ‘Welcome back to the fuggen MCG and fugg it’s a great day’”

Oblivious to the fact that in the 12th Man Universe Richie himself says that sort of thing routinely hahaha

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
"Tony's making his way back up now, let's just hope he doesn't get mobbed by all the chicks with that new look."

"Yeah but I meant a normal f**kin' hair hat like Greg Matthews, not a bloody Billy Birmingham NTTAWWTter pony tail"

Hahahaha

‘Ok doooods, are we ready to rock?’

‘It looks like a piece of roadkill that’s been frisbeed onto his head.’

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
‘It looks like a piece of roadkill that’s been frisbeed onto his head.’
I've used this to describe Dermie's hair on FoxFooty a couple of times recently.

"Look Tony.. I don't know what marsupial that used to be. But it looks like it died a horrible death."

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Richie on Lawry's nose job

Richie: I feel so bad it was my suggestion and everything, jezz what have they done to you?

Lawry: It's the Brad Pitt nose

Richie: The Brad Pitt Nose? well * it doesn't look anything like Brad Pitt's nose

Darryl: HUH HUH HUH! jezz looks like it in fight club Rich did you see it? OH HUH HUH!! sensational movie! Blokes bashing the crap out of each other HUH HUH HUH!! OHHHH! Tell ya what Brad Pitt's nose was all over his face in that one! It was Huge!

Richie: Darryl any chance of shutting the * up?

Darryl: OK Rich HAHAHA!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Richie: Tony why the bloody hell didn't you get a normal bloody short back and sides rug like Moe?

Tony: Well it was bloody Moe that suggested the bloody ponytail model in the first place! He said it would look funky and cool on camera and would look good in the Central Commentary Position especially with the younger audience.

Richie Oh what the * would Greg Mathews know?

Tony: Well you bloody told me to talk to him?

Richie: I didn't tell you to listen to him now remove that stupid thing immediately please.

Last edited:

Ekomaira

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda

used to listen to the 12th Man CDs as I was going to sleep and the first time I heard this bit I snapped out of my sleepy state and chuckled to myself, so now every time I hear this one bit I can't help but smile

Ekomaira

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Richie on Lawry's nose job

Richie: I feel so bad it was my suggestion and everything, jezz what have they done to you?

Lawry: It's the Brad Pitt nose

Richie: The Brad Pitt Nose? well **** it doesn't look anything like Brad Pitt's nose

Darryl: HUH HUH HUH! jezz looks like it in fight club Rich did you see it? OH HUH HUH!! sensational movie! Blokes bashing the crap out of each other HUH HUH HUH!! OHHHH! Tell ya what Brad Pitt's nose was all over his face in that one! It was Huge!

Richie: Darryl any chance of shutting the **** up?

Darryl: OK Rich HAHAHA!
Richie: Tony why the bloody hell didn't you get a normal bloody short back and sides rug like Moe?

Tony: Well it was bloody Moe that suggested the bloody ponytail model in the first place! He said it would look funky and cool on camera and would look good in the Central Commentary Position especially with the younger audience.

Richie Oh what the **** would Greg Mathews know?

Tony: Well you bloody told me to talk to him?

Richie: I didn't tell you to listen to him now remove that stupid thing immediately please.
OHHHH LANGER BLOCKS IT STRAIGHT BACK DOWN THE PITCH!!

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Haven't read the entire thread, but I always have a chuckle when I think of the the delayed interview with Peter Pollock at Bill Lawry's testimonial.

This isn't about a particular moment, but I was fortunate to obtain a copy of the very first 12th man tape which went for about 10 minutes. This was before most people even knew it existed. I was at a party one night and they decided to put the footy on the telly. I came up with this idea that we listen to a cricket tape over the top with the footy commentary muted. Most people thought I was nuts, but they humoured me. It was hilarious watching their faces when Richie declared, "A mass of thick black clouds decended upon the MCG, and f**k me if they didn't piss off".

They thought it was really Richie until they realised it was a take off. I've never forgotten that evening. :)

Last edited:
Back