Social Science Favourite and least favourite accents

Remove this Banner Ad

I know exactly what it is.

It's ******* horrible.

This - is absolutely terrible and immediately makes you sound like someone with a sub-50 IQ who likes to crush your own supporters.

Scouse on a woman is endearing. Irish and Scottish are also great on women, the latter also good on blokes if it isn't too thick.

Yorkshire is shite. So dull.

Most European accents generally make girls hotter imo. French on dudes is kind of annoying.

I think it generally depends on how good their English is and if they're likeable, too. Goes a long way to making an accent more or less tolerable.

Mixed race Indo/Aussie kids who have gone to an international school in indo with American teachers.
I listen to them talk with their American accent & it shits me no end. Ffs speak English with an Aussie accent you little campaigners.

Worst: Asian (Indian and Chinese) and Middle Eastern.
Best: German, English (northern), South African, Canadian.

Accents are funny things
When I was in Boston for work my US counterparts used to send me in to break the ice.

There is nothing funnier than walking up to a group of girls at a bar, getting that no chance buddy look and saying G'Day

Suddenly you are exotic and interesting

Yep, I had a brief thing with a Russian girl in Brussels and she LOVED my accent - I was pretty keen on hers too.

She said that Aussie accents are huge in Russia, she and her friends would watch Border Patrol and stuff for the accent.

Scottish ascents are great (not the rough as guts type, the ones you can actually understand)

My very first job when working as a journo in Scotland was to go the Polmont youth justice centre and do interviews with the blokes there.

I could kind of get the jist talking to them, but when I came back I couldn't understand the tape on the citaphone.

I literally had to get a mate transcribe it for me - bought her lunch to say thanks.

Irish are awful.

Unsophisticated piss heads and what great thinker has come from Ireland? Barely a country known for intellectuals. Not even good sportsmen.

I mean I am from Perth but to me they're just your classic lilting bartender or something. Annoying set of people.

You mean the country and civilization that kept Western thinking alive during the Dark Ages? That has some of the greatest writers in the language ever?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love a good Ulster accent.

Yep, I had a brief thing with a Russian girl in Brussels and she LOVED my accent - I was pretty keen on hers too.

She said that Aussie accents are huge in Russia, she and her friends would watch Border Patrol and stuff for the accent.

So if Grant Bowler is having a dry spell he should head to Moscow.

:thumbsu:

Old mate James Nesbitt has a good one
We had a regular who had a real sharp Ulster tongue and a temper to go with it. My mate who helped out by the bar and did a couple of tours of NI used to tell Iris that he should have interned her when had the chance when she got lippy.

You mean the country and civilization that kept Western thinking alive during the Dark Ages? That has some of the greatest writers in the language ever?
Why do they just wear Le Coq and Lonsdale velcro shoes with cargo shorts and Fred Perry to pubs every night then?

Why do they just wear Le Coq and Lonsdale velcro shoes with cargo shorts and Fred Perry to pubs every night then?
You're the only person who would notice and care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back