Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

Rated better than KBS on Beer Advocate for what that's worth, but I'm still in love with KBS which is easy to get right now.

Slow Beer also have the CBS at $24.00 for 355ml.

Same, I've got a couple KBS at home - waiting for winter.

Picked up a CBS from Slow Beer, pretty keen to try it!

Same, I've got a couple KBS at home - waiting for winter.

Picked up a CBS from Slow Beer, pretty keen to try it!

You didn't take the one I had on hold? :)
Had a KBS last night and it wasn't as special as the one prior to it. Maybe it was just me.

Went out on Friday night and had a couple of Hop Nation's, Jedi Juice on tap.
I know I've mentioned it here a few times already, but I so glad we can brew a beer of this quality in this country now. Pity about our pricing though.

Had a KBS last night and it wasn't as special as the one prior to it. Maybe it was just me.

I know I've mentioned it here a few times already, but I so glad we can brew a beer of this quality in this country now. Pity about our pricing though.
I wen't to Nillumbik to get some and they were out. I jumped on the Carwyn Cellers website and they said it was on tap there. I was at Carwyn last weekend FFS!
Heard good things, the only one of theirs I haven't tried.

I wen't to Nillumbik to get some and they were out. I jumped on the Carwyn Cellers website and they said it was on tap there. I was at Carwyn last weekend FFS!
Heard good things, the only one of theirs I haven't tried.

It's the grown-up Hop Nations Heart.
Even though Heart is a Pale Ale, there are similarities in taste.

Maybe I'm being a little over the top on it, but it's the first Aussie beer that made me say to myself, "We've made it"

Hah - hope so!

Where did you have the Jedi Juice out of interest?

Hah - hope so!

Where did you have the Jedi Juice out of interest?

Whitehart Bar in Melbourne.
Queues down the laneway to get in. Fortunately we knew one of the guys at thee bar.

No one seems to have the Jedi Juice at this stage.
Spoke to a bar-owner earlier, who told me that the guys didn't expect the demand, which has been overwhelming.

Whitehart Bar in Melbourne.
Queues down the laneway to get in. Fortunately we knew one of the guys at thee bar.

No one seems to have the Jedi Juice at this stage.
Spoke to a bar-owner earlier, who told me that the guys didn't expect the demand, which has been overwhelming.
It is on tap at the brewery in Footscray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd end up cheaper if you are good at it.
My feeling would it would take plenty of practise and $$$ to get that good, and that process wouldn't be good for my liver.
While I don't think it would make you an alcoholic, it's definitely the domain of alcoholics.

Can someone tell me how Dan Murphy's is shipping a six pack of Ballast Point Grunion pale ale cans for $14.90? Unreal. I used to work at a bottle shop and we'd sell the Big Eye in bottles for nearly 30 bucks and having a peruse nearby, all their other cans are borderline double it... I think the next cheapest is like $25. It's also not a special or anything. A carton is 50 too. Any ideas? Seems pretty good for an imported, 1.5 can?

Anyone tried home brewing?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Have thought about it a few times. My brother in law is into it pretty big and has made some good batches. Great pilsner and stout. I just don't have the time to dedicate to doing it right. Maybe when the kids are older, or maybe in retirement as Hard Ball Get mentioned.

I'm actually trying to talk the missus into justifying the money on an air still and making some spirits.

Seeing as this is my first post in this thread and to keep it on topic, my current flavours of choice are Furphy (been pretty much on this for a few years now and got quite a few mates onto it and watched it go from hard to find in bottle shops to on tap in most places).
When I'm on a budget (which seems to be regularly of late), I've actually taken to drinking Oettinger. Tried it one time because it was $36 a slab, but I actually like it.
Also pretty happy with pretty much anything Coopers does (Coopers 62 was my mainstay before I discovered Furphy).
I like my lagers, pilsners and stouts. I can drink pretty much anything (but will avoid Carlton Draught at all costs - 3 of them and I've got a headache, but don't mind the odd VB as long as it's freezing cold on a really hot day), but not the biggest fan of IPA.

Is Peroni red the best budget/staple beer in Australia? If it was sold in Dans it'd go very well. Most bottle o's sell it for about $35 a carton. Basically a more lagery Coopers so it's essentially some malty, not hugely bitter, easy to drink but nice lager. I love it.

If anyone lives nearby, The Freo Doctor in Fremantle was selling Cintra for $34 or something a slab. Was awesome. Stocked right up. Nice lager without the taste of dishwater. No idea if it's still happening but give it a go.

I can't drink any of those really. Carlsberg and Heineken are the worst. I'd prefer a Carlton, and I'm not a fan of that at all.

Once you've moved away, it's hard work going back to those mainstream beers.

I could still though knock back a Heineken or Stella if there was nothing else. Asahi and Kirin can GAGF. Awful excuses for a beer.

Once you've moved away, it's hard work going back to those mainstream beers.

I could still though knock back a Heineken or Stella if there was nothing else. Asahi and Kirin can GAGF. Awful excuses for a beer.
It's funny how different people can handle different "s**t" beers. I could drink an Asahi if I had to, but Heineken...

It's funny how different people can handle different "s**t" beers. I could drink an Asahi if I had to, but Heineken...

Asahi feels like watered down mercury to me. The metallic feel and the lack of any taste is awful and somewhat scary.

I recall drinking at the Heineken brewery years ago and the body and mouth-feel were acceptable, but what we get here.........not the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back