Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

TheWreck_ProductPage.png

The world’s oldest surviving beer – made new! The James Squire brewers have resurrected, then tamed a 220-year-old shipwreck yeast.

Has anyone come across this in a bottle shop yet? Speaking of GABS, I remember trying it last year and they said it was going to be available at some stage but can't see I have ever seen it.

edit* - It sold out and is now selling on Ebay ranging from $500 - $1000 dollars (was $50 a bottle) :think:
I know a guy over here who has 5 bottles and will drink one every year

I was lucky enough to try it at a work tasting a year ago. it's a decent porter. Not my thing. They usually make about 2000 bottles per year

I know a guy over here who has 5 bottles and will drink one every year

I was lucky enough to try it at a work tasting a year ago. it's a decent porter. Not my thing. They usually make about 2000 bottles per year
Was my favourite beer I had at GABS last year by some distance, interested to see how it translates into bottles. So they will release 2000 this year?

Was my favourite beer I had at GABS last year by some distance, interested to see how it translates into bottles. So they will release 2000 this year?
Possibly. Last year was a dans exclusive online deal. Actually know the WA brand ambassador for 150 lashes so I'll message him and find out for you.

What other gabs beers were winners? I used to work selling Daintons Beers so was keen to try Dans new one. Last year the skittlebrau was a bit of a mess but hands down was the biggest hyped beer. The amount of fights it caused with bottleshops after we applied a 2 carton limit was almost not worth it

Last edited:

Anyone in WA know what's up with Running With Thieves planned South Freo brewery?

Months in and there's been no movement on the site. Saw a 'for lease' sign still on that part of the site too.

It was supposed to open in about November from memory.

Thought it was weird they had the funds to lease what would be pretty expensive property – fronts onto South Terrace and backs onto Marine Terrace and old Sealanes like their money – so has it just gone to s**t or what?

Marble-Thumb.jpg

Favourite beer I've had this year and I'm not even a coffee type of person.

file.png

This was also brilliant, double dry hopped so you can imagine the smell was intense but the beer itself was amazing. Way more sessionable than I'd have thought.

Anyone in WA know what's up with Running With Thieves planned South Freo brewery?

Months in and there's been no movement on the site. Saw a 'for lease' sign still on that part of the site too.

Thought it was weird they had the funds to lease what would be pretty expensive property – fronts onto South Terrace and backs onto Marine Terrace and old Sealanes like their money – so has it just gone to **** or what?
Half of the gropup from Black Brewing, Think its just waiting for another lease to go down so they can begin construction

Same mob which owns half of the old Duckstein site on Margs.

Half of the gropup from Black Brewing, Think its just waiting for another lease to go down so they can begin construction

Same mob which owns half of the old Duckstein site on Margs.
I heard it was opening in November though?

The shed it's in hasn't been touched for years. It was an old wool classing business then Sealanes who still own it; it's still full of their s**t apparently. There's nothing in there at all atm and the property itself is owned by the Sealanes parent company so what are they waiting for?

I'd love to get a job down there tho so that's why I'm curious. And to have another brewery nearby would be sick.

Thought it was weird they had the funds to lease what would be pretty expensive property – fronts onto South Terrace and backs onto Marine Terrace and old Sealanes like their money – so has it just gone to **** or what?
August is the word mate. When all the brewing equipment arrives. Venue may be running by October.

Keeping up with all these beer releases is expensive.

Picked up the Balter Hazy, Dainton Super Trooper, Cheeky Monkey Red IPA and Counter Culture Sticky Nectar. Will give them all a go tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just about to get a bottle of Bridge Rd Mach 9. Is expensive at $36 a bottle but worth it in my opinion. I have got one for last 5 years and drank it when I got the next one a year later. I should get 2 a year so I can start a collection

Last day of Re Store Leederville alcohol sale. Some cracking French/Italian Wines I otherwise would buy at a decent price and a heap of 3 Fonteinen

I've been pretty hit and miss on this brewery. They first started appearing down my local IGA when I was living in Melbourne and the beers were okay but overpriced. They changed their labels and made it look like the cover for Thom Yorke's album The Eraser. I gave em a few goes but it was just average fare.

Anyway, the other day I went down the local independent and was trying to track down this other dark flavoured ale when I settled for this.

quiet-deeds-lamington-ale.png

* me, the nose on this thing is unreal. Overwhelming. You could sit there huffing the top of this bottle underneath the Fremantle traffic bridge and not care about how you look. Smells just like a Cherry Ripe. Really nice. The actual beer is pretty tasty too – says it's 5.5% but I reckon they've snuck more in. It's syrupy and thick like that but not especially heavy. It's one of those beers that rewards sitting in a glass because it hangs really nicely in your mouth. Not as heavy on the taste as I'd like but then again, I feel like the coconut could make this saccharine if they chucked more flavour into it.

Still, a corking winter beer.

Really love my flavoured beers. Whether that's a lime gosé or watermelon sour in summer or a cake stout in June. Really makes you wish they churned this s**t out for 45 bucks a carton like they do Becks and Stella...

Great beer.

Any other good suggestions?

Taster at Hunter Beer Co. Micro brewery lat night. Doing a 3 week road trip at the moment so the plan is to try a few brewery's on the way. Left to right this was a pale ale, bock, stout & vanilla porter. All not bad.
Currently having breakfast across the road from HOPE estate in the hunter valley.... Definitely going there for lunch and will pick up a few 6ers of their beers for sure

I've been pretty hit and miss on this brewery. They first started appearing down my local IGA when I was living in Melbourne and the beers were okay but overpriced. They changed their labels and made it look like the cover for Thom Yorke's album The Eraser. I gave em a few goes but it was just average fare.

Anyway, the other day I went down the local independent and was trying to track down this other dark flavoured ale when I settled for this.

quiet-deeds-lamington-ale.png

**** me, the nose on this thing is unreal. Overwhelming. You could sit there huffing the top of this bottle underneath the Fremantle traffic bridge and not care about how you look. Smells just like a Cherry Ripe. Really nice. The actual beer is pretty tasty too – says it's 5.5% but I reckon they've snuck more in. It's syrupy and thick like that but not especially heavy. It's one of those beers that rewards sitting in a glass because it hangs really nicely in your mouth. Not as heavy on the taste as I'd like but then again, I feel like the coconut could make this saccharine if they chucked more flavour into it.

Still, a corking winter beer.

Really love my flavoured beers. Whether that's a lime gosé or watermelon sour in summer or a cake stout in June. Really makes you wish they churned this **** out for 45 bucks a carton like they do Becks and Stella...

Great beer.

Any other good suggestions?
Nowhereman Noir de Garde. A big black forrest stout and not sure it's going to be around too much longer.

No idea how I feel about Quiet Deeds. I like their stouts and the pale ales are okay but who's going to pay 22 bucks a four pack for that. The 'experimental' ales and neipas and everything taste either really bland or syrupy to me.

Asahi are taking over CUB (who are owned by something something Inbev, I forget).

Along with Nathan Lion means that Australian beer is pretty much all Japanese owned.

The independent brewers association really need to start to lobby Canberra to get some of this excise stuff sorted. They also need to really put some money into marketing. Perfect time to push the "spend your money on homegrown" message.

Went down to Colonial Brewing Co in Port Melbourne and tried their Porter. Not a bad drop, picked up 6 travelers for the ride home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back