Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to launch of a new beer last week at The Sail and Anchor. It was a reboot of the very first craft beer brewed there, preceding Redback.

The guys at Sail and Anchor had asked the guy from 3 Rivers to try and replicate it, so he called the original brewer and gave it a go.

It was an old fashioned English Ale. They were pouring 3 ways. I went the traditional English style from the hand pump, low in carbon and served at 8°.

Lovely beer and I washed it down with a 3 Rivers Cu Chulainn Irish Red Ale which is fantastic.

Disclaimer. Mark Rivers from 3 Rivers is a mate of mine.

I went to launch of a new beer last week at The Sail and Anchor. It was a reboot of the very first craft beer brewed there, preceding Redback.

The guys at Sail and Anchor had asked the guy from 3 Rivers to try and replicate it, so he called the original brewer and gave it a go.

It was an old fashioned English Ale. They were pouring 3 ways. I went the traditional English style from the hand pump, low in carbon and served at 8°.

Lovely beer and I washed it down with a 3 Rivers Cu Chulainn Irish Red Ale which is fantastic.

Disclaimer. Mark Rivers from 3 Rivers is a mate of mine.
So Woolworths churning out more beers?

That pub is an abomination. Bad staff, shitty fit out, a pretty seedy vibe sometimes. The only good thing is them routinely selling $6-7 pints of Little Creatures and things like that. Such a shame a great looking pub has been lowered to those standards, but that end of Freo needs way better options... get rid of Metropolis, completely refit the Newport (reckon it'd work well for a trendy Asian place – one side all food and the other more open and summery with cocktails and drinks), get that pub on the corner behind Ginos a go. The National is fast becoming a trashy joint too; was awesome when it opened but they're just cluttering the place and adding more and more s**t recently. Bad staff too, can be quite grotty on a weekend too with the clientele.

So Woolworths churning out more beers?

That pub is an abomination. Bad staff, shitty fit out, a pretty seedy vibe sometimes. The only good thing is them routinely selling $6-7 pints of Little Creatures and things like that. Such a shame a great looking pub has been lowered to those standards, but that end of Freo needs way better options... get rid of Metropolis, completely refit the Newport (reckon it'd work well for a trendy Asian place – one side all food and the other more open and summery with cocktails and drinks), get that pub on the corner behind Ginos a go. The National is fast becoming a trashy joint too; was awesome when it opened but they're just cluttering the place and adding more and more s**t recently. Bad staff too, can be quite grotty on a weekend too with the clientele.

So a pub does a launch of a small batch by a small up and coming brewery and you label it a Woolworths beer ? It was a genuine craft beer in the traditional sense.

Fremantle has a decent choice of places to go for a drink. Clancy’s, Little Creatures, Sail and Anchor, Monk... are decent pubs. Strange Company, Whisper Wine Bar, Young George... are decent wine bars. Could Fremantle be better ? Yes. Could individual places in Fremantle be better ? Yes, but it is still the place I happily call home and is a great place to live.

The Sail and Anchor opened the year that I turned 18. It was the first micro brewery in the Southern Hemisphere. So we went from pubs serving Emu Bitter, Swan Lager and Emu Export to a pub serving Redback, Dogbolter, Brass Monkey Stout etc. as well as serving a massive range of International bottled beer. It is a place that I have spent hundreds of hours in over the years. I was disappointed When Woolworths bought it but they have still managed to keep several taps set aside for guest beers from small breweries. Life goes on.

So a pub does a launch of a small batch by a small up and coming brewery and you label it a Woolworths beer ? It was a genuine craft beer in the traditional sense.

Fremantle has a decent choice of places to go for a drink. Clancy’s, Little Creatures, Sail and Anchor, Monk... are decent pubs. Strange Company, Whisper Wine Bar, Young George... are decent wine bars. Could Fremantle be better ? Yes. Could individual places in Fremantle be better ? Yes, but it is still the place I happily call home and is a great place to live.

The Sail and Anchor opened the year that I turned 18. It was the first micro brewery in the Southern Hemisphere. So we went from pubs serving Emu Bitter, Swan Lager and Emu Export to a pub serving Redback, Dogbolter, Brass Monkey Stout etc. as well as serving a massive range of International bottled beer. It is a place that I have spent hundreds of hours in over the years. I was disappointed When Woolworths bought it but they have still managed to keep several taps set aside for guest beers from small breweries. Life goes on.
No I agree, Fremantle is a pretty good place to drink, there's some good places and Clancy's, Little Creatures all rate a mention (though you have missed the best pub around in that – but I won't mention it). But I feel they cater way too much toward the crowd Freo needs to get away from: the weekend yobbo with the sunnies on his head, the drinker at 11am (the Sail & Anchor is full of this). They have apparently received a licence to do up half the building in bright garish BWS orange signage too... these places operate no differently to the general Woolworths company. As an ex-employee, their treatment of staff and venues are appalling and they have a borderline disdain for their own employees. That is why the bar staff at the Sail & Anchor are so unaware, dull, and bad at their job, and why a young guy behind the bar was once pretty keen to get into a fight with me, a patron, when he misheard my tone. They breed indifference and indignation in staff.

As someone with not a huge amount of money and a love of hanging out in pubs, I like good bar staff and the simple act of people who are friendly, who know who is next in line, know how to be busy, and can time manage is seriously seriously lacking. Coles and Woolies and uber hipster shitholes breeding this smug mentality no different to baristas absolutely gets to me: I'm spending $10 on an average pint and you're pretty much making me feel sheepish for the privilege when I'm not going to end up absolutely pissed at your venue.

Sorry, it is a tangent, but Freo's pubs are going downhill. I would say stuff like Strange Company is different. Who's Your Mumma is pretty decent too, so yeah, absolutely there are great places for drinks, a little pricey at a lot but I'd rather pay $13 a pint at Who's Your Mumma than $7 at the Sail & Anchor on a Saturday.

Not even trying to have a go, just want a discussion about it to be honest.

Managed to pick up the boozebud advent beer deal for $70 the other day on scoopon. Not bad for 25 separate Australian craft beers delivered.

Have had some excellent beers this year, with the following being the most memorable:
- Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout;
- Hawkers 2016 Barleywine;
- 2017 Coopers Vintage Ale;
- Pirate Life Vanilla Malt Milkshake
- Pirate Life Mosaic IPA,
- Prancing Pony Hunt for the Red Velvet
- Goodison Shiraz Barrel Aged Stout
- Stokade Mountie Maple Stout

Managed to pick up the boozebud advent beer deal for $70 the other day on scoopon. Not bad for 25 separate Australian craft beers delivered.

Have had some excellent beers this year, with the following being the most memorable:
- Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout;
- Hawkers 2016 Barleywine;
- 2017 Coopers Vintage Ale;
- Pirate Life Vanilla Malt Milkshake
- Pirate Life Mosaic IPA,
- Prancing Pony Hunt for the Red Velvet
- Goodison Shiraz Barrel Aged Stout
- Stokade Mountie Maple Stout
I reckon we'd get along very very well... Except for the bit where I'd have to share my favourite beers with you...

Goodisons are one of my favourite producers & their dark/red ales & stouts are top notch.

I reckon we'd get along very very well... Except for the bit where I'd have to share my favourite beers with you...

Goodisons are one of my favourite producers & their dark/red ales & stouts are top notch.

I live near enough to Goodiesons. I was driving past the other day and dropped in to see what they had. Walked out with a 6 pack of their Imperial Pilsner. Big, malty, slightly hopped-up pilsner - 7.8%.

I have a bottle of their shiraz barrel aged stout, but it's probably getting a bit warm to be drinking stouts. I might crack it once the footy starts back up.

I live near enough to Goodiesons. I was driving past the other day and dropped in to see what they had. Walked out with a 6 pack of their Imperial Pilsner. Big, malty, slightly hopped-up pilsner - 7.8%.

I have a bottle of their shiraz barrel aged stout, but it's probably getting a bit warm to be drinking stouts. I might crack it once the footy starts back up.
I'm super jealous mate! I try to get over to McLaren Vale a few times a year but haven't been to "the Goody shed" for a while... I should correct that in the next few months. :thumbsu:

Love those kinds of big Pilsners too. Sometimes they take it a bit too far but on a whole I'd rather it be slightly too big than too thin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those in Melbourne and struggle with gluten intolerance.

2 Brothers Brewery, Kung Foo Rice Lager.

Not a bad drop and you dont' feel like ass after 6 or 7.

2_brothers_kung_foo_rice_lager.jpg

Stumbled upon goodisons when visiting SA, shame I don't find there beers anywhere.

Has anyone come across Laughing Dog brewery in Australia?

I got a can of their IPA which is brewed with honey while I was in Philadelphia, but they're from a tiny town in Idaho. Really nice beer, good can design, loved it. It's 10% or something crazy too meaning it was about $6 there (you could get a six pack of Buds or PBR for that) so I would shudder at the cost of a six pack here, but curious.

Picked up a slab of Budweiser for Christmas. Now trying to chose a Pale Ale, heavily leaning toward White Rabbit. Have sampled Little Creatures, Coopers and Lazy Yak but the White Rabbit is killing them.
I can't stand Budweiser. Just not my beer of choice at all.

Really disappointed with the Booze Bud advent calendar this year. So many pale ales and your standard easily sourced beers. Won't be doing it again next year. Apparently Carwyn Cellers did one, I'll get on that.

Bridge road pale ale, pirate life pale ale and mountain goat are all easily sourced options for pale ales.

I don't mind Budweiser on something like grand final day when you want a few beers that are easy to smash and don't get too heavy. Will buy a six when it's on the Woolies docket deal for this sort of reason. I prefer it to most of the Aussie beers with dry in their name.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back