Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

In NZnow, trying a couple of locals. So far nice have liked:

McLeod Oyster Gose
Brewaucracy ESB
McLeod Pacific pale (I think - memory is a bit hazy)

Some great beers in NZ, Sawmill Brewery have great beers and an even better on premise just north of Auckland.

Best town for beers in NZ?

Hard to go past Nelson/Marlborough from my experience. Locally grown hops in the area has made beer a big industry there.

Don’t ask me for too many particulars but I’ve had some cracking beers at the Stoke and Moa premises, it’s been a few years.

http://www.musselinn.co.nz/

This pub in Golden Bay is a gem as well, makes some crackers. Northern end of the South Island is my fave part of NZ, good times.

Picked up the Stomping Ground Watermelon sour today.

Honestly I think the brewery itself is a bit overrated. I just think they're dialling in a bit and there's no real passion coming through in any of the brews. Feels like they've gone 'oh this craft thing is pretty cool' and done that as opposed to having one or two really great beers that are wanted and bringing in a couple either side.

But it's not bad. Actually my first ever sour. I like the colour, the nose is subtle and not as saccharine and fake as I imagined, and the first is a jolt but after that you really settle in. That taste at the roof of your mouth and tongue after a few is great.
I know what you mean, the beers didn't really grab me when I was there.

Garage project make cracking beers.
Yep

However I get shitty the other way that a lot of their average stuff gets fawned over, Dont get me wrong Pernacious weed, Whitakers and DFA are just beutiful drops, but they do make some average stuff which is super hyped

Yep

However I get shitty the other way that a lot of their average stuff gets fawned over, Dont get me wrong Pernacious weed, Whitakers and DFA are just beutiful drops, but they do make some average stuff which is super hyped
What didn't you like? Pils n thrills isn't great but it's good as far as a pilsner goes.

They make so many, there's bound to be a few that won't match a pallet.

What didn't you like? Pils n thrills isn't great but it's good as far as a pilsner goes.

They make so many, there's bound to be a few that won't match a pallet.
See i enjoyed Pils n Thrills because it's a good beer. I wont rubbish beers because of taste however like the acid dry hop wasn't great, the garista IPA not a fan either, The Los lobos was eh

Don't get me wrong, Probably the best brewery in NZ, making some ******* good beers, I personally dont like the DFA however it's incredible on how they make everything work in it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See i enjoyed Pils n Thrills because it's a good beer. I wont rubbish beers because of taste however like the acid dry hop wasn't great, the garista IPA not a fan either, The Los lobos was eh

Don't get me wrong, Probably the best brewery in NZ, making some ******* good beers, I personally dont like the DFA however it's incredible on how they make everything work in it
The garragista is a tap beer. I fell in love when I had it on tap, canned it was just okay. Some beers just have that for some reason.

Pretty much the same, very active and good genes I guess. That was until I crashed my motorbike 2 months ago and haven't done anything since, stacked on about 4 kg's.

Anyone been to any of the BeerFest festivals? One at Moonee Valley in a few weeks time.

images

This was a pretty decent summer beer I reckon. Only had one but definetely something that's quite light yet still has enough flavour to keep you interested. Kind of reminded me of the Kaiju Krush which is another favourite of mine.

watermelon_smash.png

This was a really great beer and everything you expect from looking at the can. Think they make a Gueva(?) version as well that I'd like to check out.

I've seen you give them a good wrap a few times on here.. Picked up a pack of their blood orange new England rye IPA's last week.. Stuck on call until Wednesday but I'm keen

Also picked up some Wolf's APA's, Sierra Nevada's Hazy Little Thing, Sierra Nevada's Otra Vez, and some CoConspiritor's The Apprentice milk stouts. All new ones for me so hopefully most are good

thoughts...
Daintons Blood Orange Rye NEIPA - the orange wasn't overpowering, probably didnt stand out enough for the cost imo
Wolf APA - not bad, not amazing
Sierra Hazy Little Thing - yeah pretty good
Sierra Otra Vez - boy did i enjoy these. very tart finish & could really taste the lime & agave. definitely not for everyone but right up my alley.
CoConspiritor The Apprentice Milk Stout - turns out its a "choc" milk stout. very cacao'y, i thought too much but after a couple of swigs the other stout flavours come through a bit. pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back