Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Live in harrisdale (near Cockburn) none of the local liquor stores have ever had it, can get it occasionally at the liquor shed in jandakot but they never have much stock.
Hey dude. Might interest you

The Sail+Anchor either this friday or next are having a Prancing Pony Tap takeover, So 6 Different beers all on tap, head brewer will be there, Reasonably priced as well as ALH do happy hours from 4-6. So may be worth a trip to give them a go off the tap.

tryitout

All Australian
Jan 11, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nomad_Juicy_As_Fruit_IPA__58987.1535429266.1280.1280.png

This was disgusting. In hindsight it really shouldn't have surprised me.

had some business in beechworth so stopped into Bridge Rd brewery yesterday arvo. had a pint of a rhubarb sour which was pretty good, wasn't strong flavored or very sour but went down just fine. then had a pint of their brut ipa, enjoyed it, very drinkable on a hot day. gf offered to drive home which was nice.
Love Brechworth brewery, great spot.
Do they still serve beer spiders? Tried one a few years ago which was liquorice ice cream with stout. Was an interesting combo to say the least.

Coopers are complete mainstream but they're the best common beer around. In every bottle-o, on most taps, it's just a good go-to.

A dumb beer but a cheap and quite palatable dumb beer, nonetheless.

My fall back beer at the moment is Little Creatures Pale Ale.
The right temperature brings about a good mouth feel and very little fizz. I'm liking that right now.
They've certainly got some flavour back into their beer also. Really went off the boil for a few years.

Have half a dozen Founders CBS;s coming my way. Something to look forward to again,.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I hate Bridge Road beers. I just find them completely generic and overpriced. It’s a classic example of not being much better than something else, but charging a whole lot more. Their labels are really naff too.

My most hated has to be Young Henry’s though. Watery nonsense. There’s barely any taste in them, probably due to the fact they all have obtuse and basically made up titles. The other thing I’ve noticed is their brews all basically taste the same. And again, I don’t really like the labelling. They’re weirdly common though, every craft bottle-o loves them but one observation I’ve made is when a bar has only one or two taps, it’s really really regularly Young Henry’s. Bizarre.

Anyway I’m on the Oettingers. Usually look down on the s**t as scungey backpacker swill but how often is a carton less than 30 bucks in Australia? Had some Stella’s sitting in the fridge and went one for the other and... the Oettinger basically tasted the same. Wouldn’t grab it at its usual near-40 price but for that cheap it’s an easy choice.

Also saw Dan’s ship Old Milwaukee now. Just about dropped my carton (of Oettinger...) when I saw it on the shelves. Love random imported lagers that are common elsewhere but not here. Kinda milky initial taste. Nice nostalgia too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hate Bridge Road beers. I just find them completely generic and overpriced. It’s a classic example of not being much better than something else, but charging a whole lot more. Their labels are really naff too.

My most hated has to be Young Henry’s though. Watery nonsense. There’s barely any taste in them, probably due to the fact they all have obtuse and basically made up titles. The other thing I’ve noticed is their brews all basically taste the same. And again, I don’t really like the labelling. They’re weirdly common though, every craft bottle-o loves them but one observation I’ve made is when a bar has only one or two taps, it’s really really regularly Young Henry’s. Bizarre.

Anyway I’m on the Oettingers. Usually look down on the s**t as scungey backpacker swill but how often is a carton less than 30 bucks in Australia? Had some Stella’s sitting in the fridge and went one for the other and... the Oettinger basically tasted the same. Wouldn’t grab it at its usual near-40 price but for that cheap it’s an easy choice.

Also saw Dan’s ship Old Milwaukee now. Just about dropped my carton (of Oettinger...) when I saw it on the shelves. Love random imported lagers that are common elsewhere but not here. Kinda milky initial taste. Nice nostalgia too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't know how you can scoff at Bridge Road for being generic but then drink Ottinger and Old Milwaukee, which are both a half step from brown water. Stella too...
Bling Bling, robust porter, chevalier, Celtic red ale and the bling are all solid bridge road, that offer a lot more than others.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't know how you can scoff at Bridge Road for being generic but then drink Ottinger and Old Milwaukee, which are both a half step from brown water. Stella too...
Bling Bling, robust porter, chevalier, Celtic red ale and the bling are all solid bridge road, that offer a lot more than others.
Oettinger is 28 bucks for a slab. A six pack of Bride Road is nearly that.

The beers are just super generic to me. I’d rather get Coopers Pale Ale for $25 less a slab.

It’s okay to drink generic beers when they’re cheap or in a certain situation, but why are so many breweries pumping out normal pale ales that Coles brands can do, and charging so much for it? I really do not get it.

These days if I want a craft beer it’ll be something a little different. Or something which isn’t available from a bigger brewer. A good sour or stout or a flavoured beer is a good idea when they’re a unique brewery but I just can’t be arsed paying $7 for a can of pale ale when it’s probably just going to be... good.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oettinger is 28 bucks for a slab. A six pack of Bride Road is nearly that.

The beers are just super generic to me. I’d rather get Coopers Pale Ale for $25 less a slab.

It’s okay to drink generic beers when they’re cheap or in a certain situation, but why are so many breweries pumping out normal pale ales that Coles brands can do, and charging so much for it? I really do not get it.

These days if I want a craft beer it’ll be something a little different. Or something which isn’t available from a bigger brewer. A good sour or stout or a flavoured beer is a good idea when they’re a unique brewery but I just can’t be arsed paying $7 for a can of pale ale when it’s probably just going to be... good.
Then don't get the pale. Get the IPA or the IIPA or the porter or the red ale or the saison...

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Then don't get the pale. Get the IPA or the IIPA or the porter or the red ale or the saison...
None of them are that good, and most of those aren’t readily available, but when they are there’s much more niche and unique brewery’s also available for the same price. I’m not paying nearly 30 dollars for watered down, unimaginative beers.

I just don’t rate them. Even the crappy way the labels are stuck on.

vegasaaa

Draftee
Jan 18, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not really a beer person--more into whiskey but when i drink beer i tend to like Corona (you can tell i don't drink beer lol).

tryitout

All Australian
Jan 11, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bridge Road would make some of the best beers from a mid sized brewery in Australia I reckon. That Pale Ale off tap is one of the best I reckon.

Young Henrys is absolutely terrible though. Goes to show that if you find your niche marketing angle that the product doesn't really matter.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Am I going to hell for enjoying the Cricketers Arms pale that Dan's are doing for 13?

It's a Woolies beer isn't it?

Also, had the Coopers Session Ale the other day. It was the beer of the month at a pub in Freo. For $8.50 it was okay but in all honesty, what a crock. It came out looking like a mango lassi and that is no joke. It was also just really over the top in terms of taste and felt like one of those beers where they just cram as much of everything into it as possible, but in the end actually doesn't have a taste. Really hoppy, really fruity, really ale-y, and kind of heavy. It struck me as weird because aren't 'session ales' supposed to be lighter in taste?

The whole session ale thing is a joke. XPA. Half-way IPA. I don't get how so many people eat it up or drink it down. To me, they're always inferior versions of the real things and completely lost for identity, probably because it's a made up and sort of 'unregulated' label. The whole idea of a kinda mid-strength kinda full strength is just a good way to pay less tax but charge people the same amount.

But yeah, it just looked like s**t, tasted like s**t. No idea why Coopers are trying to do all these things like tinned pales and session ales. It's just diluting the nice simplicity of the lineup and for no real gain. Don't get it and don't like it.

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only thing more generic than the actual hottest 100.

My Young Henry's rant is only a few posts back. But I think Balter is so overrated. It's okay but you rarely get it for less than 12 bucks a pint and for that, you can spend a little more to get something a lot more interesting or spend less and get something as good. Stone & Wood has to be my most hated beer though; piss weak alcohol content, almost as big a rip off as Matso's, and it's just super light and fruity garbage. These days if I want a fruity beer I'll grab something with a specific flavour. And it won't be 1.0 standards either.

Overall just a shitty shill list. What are the barometers? It just seems 'duuughhh beers I done like.'

There's no idea of value, uniqueness, and there's definitely no standardisation (ie no macros). How can you have breweries owned by Coca Cola in there?

And that's without mentioning Fat ******* Yak. Yack.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just do not get this Balter XPA crap.

The Napier Hotel in Fitzroy have a pretty crummy beer selection (maybe 10 taps, all no-nothing pale ales that are so expensive, no bare-bottom tap) so I go the Balter a little but if you want to sum it up, just look at it. It's got no redeeming or notable features. It's kind of a darkish amber but it looks a little bit like a foggier, less thin Carlton Draught. The head is just plain white and it doesn't have that nice yellow, malty creamy colour you get with some of the more heavy pale ales (or IPAs or whatever the XPA is supposed to nudge). Then there's the serious lack of nose. You also don't get any initial taste and there's no lasting mouthfeel... even crappy beers will build up on your tongue after a few pints and even thinner fruity stuff (like Stone & Wood) have some immediate taste. That thing is just... kinda there.

I just cannot believe anyone would hype it up, talk it up, or go out of their way to grab it. If it's on sale or something maybe but it's just a classic 3 star craft beer.

Not special enough to warrant grabbing now and nowhere near cheap enough to buy regularly. In fact, if it was as cheap as Furphys you'd rag on it.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
i actually tried a 4 pack of the balter ipa a few weeks ago, i knew you didn't rate them at all lol but thought id try them any way... yeah definitely very average.

picked up some new mexican lagers, stouts, gose's & an imperial something or rather on the weekend so will work my way through them in the next few weeks. keen.

Dockerjonz

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Benfica,Canucks
If you want to feel like you're out in the fields eating hay, grab yourself some BB Big Head.How that's in there is beyond me

Back