Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

trying new beers with new food in interesting places is one of the best things in life. your on holidays so theres not a worry in the world. they always taste good.
One of my favourite things to do is observe/ask what the locals are drinking. Their table wines and beers are usually delicious and cheap (99% of the time cos they buy from within their country).

(Un)surprisingly Japan has some of the best availability of hard to find wine, beer and spirit selection from all over the world, it’s just ridiculously expensive.

What's everyones tightarse Tuesday beer? I grabbed these for $16 and wasn't revolting. It was either these or VB so didn't really have an option to be honest.

Generic_WineBottle.ashx

Remember when Coopers Pale Ale was a set $16 and 20 bucks for six pack was something rare or crafty.

Price of piss is insane at the moment. Six or seven years ago a carton was never more than 40 bucks for some average quasi-import. Now a brewed under license Dutch beer is like $48.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

0348_WCB_XPA_mock5B45D1.jpg

I don't know what they were aiming for with this beer but it's not good. Has a big ABV kind of taste to it but isn't.

Red-HIll-Brewery-2017-1-180403-025301-180612-092059.jpg

Went up to the Red Hill Brewhouse over the Easter break. Cool little brewery actually.

I’m going to be checking out Rocky Ridge cellar door tomorrow and looking forward to (hopefully) picking up some of their White Buffalo and Sour Buffalo. Their new Imperial Ace is 👌 and really different to the OG Ace.

0348_WCB_XPA_mock5B45D1.jpg

I don't know what they were aiming for with this beer but it's not good. Has a big ABV kind of taste to it but isn't.
I don't know how that brewery still exists tbh.

I see it only in a few select independents in Melbourne and occasionally on tap. I never see anyone buy either. They're really expensive and the lineup seems pretty generic, these days you really have to be pushing the envelope with unique beers if you want that MO. Ultimately they aren't a well known, trusted label and they're not cheap nor high in alcohol.

I remember one year a pub we were at for the 2016 Granny had free pots of their Footscray Ale every quarter until the first Bullies goal. And kegs on kegs for free after they won. It was free piss so that was great, but it was a bog average beer. Unremarkable. If you're a craft beer, you need to be passing the 'would I drink this over a Coopers off tap?' test and this one (and heaps of others) fail.

XPA is the worst beer category though. s**t off tap as well. Light yellow colour, no head, some vaguely fruity nose, but no real taste. They seem susceptible to having a real suddsy taste too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how that brewery still exists tbh.

I see it only in a few select independents in Melbourne and occasionally on tap. I never see anyone buy either. They're really expensive and the lineup seems pretty generic, these days you really have to be pushing the envelope with unique beers if you want that MO. Ultimately they aren't a well known, trusted label and they're not cheap nor high in alcohol.

I remember one year a pub we were at for the 2016 Granny had free pots of their Footscray Ale every quarter until the first Bullies goal. And kegs on kegs for free after they won. It was free piss so that was great, but it was a bog average beer. Unremarkable. If you're a craft beer, you need to be passing the 'would I drink this over a Coopers off tap?' test and this one (and heaps of others) fail.

XPA is the worst beer category though. s**t off tap as well. Light yellow colour, no head, some vaguely fruity nose, but no real taste. They seem susceptible to having a real suddsy taste too.
I actually really enjoy the Balter XPA as a session ale. Their Hazy IPA which was super limited was ridiculously delicious.

I actually really enjoy the Balter XPA as a session ale. Their Hazy IPA which was super limited was ridiculously delicious.
That Balter really sums it up for me – it's just a generic beer. XPA I think cons people because many assume the X has connotations of higher alcohol percentage or a stronger taste. In essence it's extra pale. Lighter, lesser everything than a normal pale ale.

It's just a nothing beer. A nothing beer is okay if it's 10 bucks a pint, but it rarely is.

I came across this website a few weeks back which was a wholesale distributor's. Took hours to come across it and I can't go back and suss it out again. You could order directly from it too. Does anyone know the go with this?

I'm sick of either spending $25 on a nice six pack or 50 bucks on a carton I've had a million times before. Constantly reverting to Coopers is a pain. I'm also not really going to chuck down money to drink Peroni, Birra Moretti, Grolsch all the time either. My local gets some cool little local variants in for 30-55 and you never see them again, but it's not a constant influx.

How do people try new things without spending an outrageous amount of money?

I'm not even looking for especially great beers. Lagers are mostly all lagers to me, I'd just rather look at some new packaging.

Especially getting into winter. The Coopers Stout is a bit too expensive and tbh it's just too alcoholic. The Brown is a nice ass beer at a good price but again, you get bored quickly.

Anyone have an affordable darky they go for? What's Abbotsford Invalid like? Is Tooheys Old that bad?

I went for this the other week and really enjoyed it. A little malty, sort of caramel tasting beer that was a nice break and something I'll go back to. Wish it had a little less carbonation though, because if it did, it'd be a great July ale. From memory it was $56.

images

Sample seems to have dried up a lot, I used to see it a lot and drink it a fair bit back in 2016. Pretty decent beers.

I feel like their core range is a bit too obvious though and they rarely seem to trot out any small batch stuff. They don't sell to Dan's or Coles either fwiw. These days you need to be in those stores or you need to be getting the disposable-income beer drinkers to become proper fans who'll eat up your seasonals and one-offs.

They'd be spewing though, the 3/4 IPA (which I didn't mind at all, made-up name aside) looks exactly like the absolute dross CUB are chucking out with Frothy.

sample_brew34_IPA__63677.1469084138.500.659.jpg

804413-1.png

I don't mind Furphs tbh, they have a weird coppery taste but they aren't terrible. Frothy is a joke, they'll be looked back on like Foster's Light Ice surely.

For the same price I'll drink Coopers or Kronenburg or some other lager, Peroni red if I'm not in WA, but yeh.

lol i had the last can of my belching beavers (as above) last night and when i got to the bottom there was like a congealed lump. nearly lost my dinner.
This is something that can really piss me off about craft beers – this inconsistency between batches and brews and even from one can to another. If you're paying an absolute premium price, you shouldn't have to basically take a gamble on how good it will be.

It's cool when a bottle shop is chucking out cartons of some $80 beer for half that because a few people have complained about colour or carbonation. Yep. I'll take that. But when you get home and a can is flat as *, syrupy, or the guy at the bottle shop even goes 'let us know if there's any issue with those' it's a bit galling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back