Favourite Beer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thread.

My favourite is Pilsner Urquell. Brewed in Czech. Not sure if it's available in Oz.. Can't stop drinking the stuff. I reckon they put heroin in it or something.

Best beer ever.

Coopers Dark Ale is selling cheap everywhere in SA at the moment. For $40 a carton, it cannot be beaten. It's a quality beer, so much better than Pale or Sparkling. I guess it's not as popular because it's more of a winter beer, but more people should give it a go. Perfect beer for this time of year.

Coopers Dark Ale is selling cheap everywhere in SA at the moment. For $40 a carton, it cannot be beaten. It's a quality beer, so much better than Pale or Sparkling. I guess it's not as popular because it's more of a winter beer, but more people should give it a go. Perfect beer for this time of year.
Do you mean Best Extra Porter?

Great thread.

My favourite is Pilsner Urquell. Brewed in Czech. Not sure if it's available in Oz.. Can't stop drinking the stuff. I reckon they put heroin in it or something.

Best beer ever.

Yep, it's widely available here. Dan Murphys were selling it for $42 a carton about a month back. Not a bad beer, but it's a pretty standard euro pilsner.

Do you mean Best Extra Porter?

Nope, I mean Coopers Dark Ale

Coopers_Dark_Ale_Large.jpg

I think you may be confusing it with Coopers Best Extra Stout (has a yellow label), because I've never heard of Best Extra Porter.

Had a Brew dog Punk IPA, strong & flavorsome & also a Crackenback pale ale which I really enjoyed. I have tried two of the Snowy Mountain Brewery & could drink this one everyday.

Best Extra Stout destroys the dark in everyway possibly.

This vintage is about equivalent.

Best Extra Stout destroys the dark in everyway possibly.

This vintage is about equivalent.

It may, but they are completely different beers. I love the stout, but I wouldn't have a session on it, I tend to just buy a long neck of it and have a couple of glasses of it after work on a cold day. I can drink a 6 pack of the Dark no problem, it's as easy to drink as Pale or Sparkling.

And the Vintage shits all over everything in the Coopers range. Everything.

Has anyone tried the new Monteith's - Single Source Lager? Being Monteith's, I was expecting it to be full of flavour, but it's quite plain. It's in the style of a euro pilsner, but it's a bit lighter on flavour than most European pilsners. It's extremely pale in colour, with a finish that almost reminded me of a honey beer. It would make a great summer session beer, but I found it lacking the flavour I normally expect from Monteith's.

It may, but they are completely different beers. I love the stout, but I wouldn't have a session on it, I tend to just buy a long neck of it and have a couple of glasses of it after work on a cold day. I can drink a 6 pack of the Dark no problem, it's as easy to drink as Pale or Sparkling.

And the Vintage shits all over everything in the Coopers range. Everything.
Man up then, ey!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, it's widely available here. Dan Murphys were selling it for $42 a carton about a month back. Not a bad beer, but it's a pretty standard euro pilsner.

I'm pretty sure the stuff you get at that price is not in fact brewed in the Czech Republic, but here under license.

The real stuff is one of the best :thumbsu:

I don't drink a heap of beer any more but when I do it's got to be things like Duvel, Orval, La Chouffe Blonde, Weihenstephaner Vitus and Chimay Blue or Red. It's hard to go past a good Belgium or German beer.

Okay I assume this is the place to ask this.

I'd had James Squire Amber Ale on tap a few times and it was amazing, never from the bottle though I think. A few weeks back I bought a six pack of Nine Tales Amber Ale from a shop in Phillip Island, and it was disgusting. Tasted very similar to VB or XXXX just worse.

Did I just run into a bad sixpack, or have they done something to the beer? :(

Just tried Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA. Slightly disappointed actually. I love my IPAs, and while superbly balanced, it just lacked a bit of punch. For a 7.2% IPA called "Torpedo", I was expecting it to knock my socks off. Still, better than any Aussie IPA I've been able to try, and more available than BrewDog's Hardcore IPA, so I'll probably return to it.

Currently drinking SN's Kellerweis, and it's bloody good. I'm really not a wheat beer fan, but this is just so clean and refreshing, but not bland at all. I could drink this all day!

Okay I assume this is the place to ask this.

I'd had James Squire Amber Ale on tap a few times and it was amazing, never from the bottle though I think. A few weeks back I bought a six pack of Nine Tales Amber Ale from a shop in Phillip Island, and it was disgusting. Tasted very similar to VB or XXXX just worse.

Did I just run into a bad sixpack, or have they done something to the beer? :(

As far as I know it's just a rebranding, so you probably just got a bad six pack. Did you drink it from a glass, or straight from the bottle? I just got a bad six-pack of LCPA, it was heartbreaking!

Just tried Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA. Slightly disappointed actually. I love my IPAs, and while superbly balanced, it just lacked a bit of punch. For a 7.2% IPA called "Torpedo", I was expecting it to knock my socks off.
Just got a bottle of this today along with the pale ale, haven't tried it yet but can't wait.

As far as I know it's just a rebranding, so you probably just got a bad six pack. Did you drink it from a glass, or straight from the bottle? I just got a bad six-pack of LCPA, it was heartbreaking!

Bottle. Must've been off or something I suppose, wasn't really sure.

Cheers fort hat.

Well ALWAYS pour beer into the glass. Totally changes the experience. Drinking beer from the bottle is easy, but it tastes so much worse.

I agree on this point. I've got a tulip glass that I always use for drinking quaity beers from, especially ales. It completely enhances the flavours and you actually appreciate the aroma of a decent beer. And it automatically makes you 50% classier ;)

Although, sometimes I like to just crack open a cheap lager and drink it straight from the bottle. I'm a big fan of drinking an ice cold beer in the shower after work during the summertime. This wouldn't really work with a glass.

Just picked up a bottle of Brewdog 5AM Saint. Will report once I try it.

I agree on this point. I've got a tulip glass that I always use for drinking quaity beers from, especially ales. It completely enhances the flavours and you actually appreciate the aroma of a decent beer. And it automatically makes you 50% classier ;)

Although, sometimes I like to just crack open a cheap lager and drink it straight from the bottle. I'm a big fan of drinking an ice cold beer in the shower after work during the summertime. This wouldn't really work with a glass.

Just picked up a bottle of Brewdog 5AM Saint. Will report once I try it.
5AM Saint is a classy Amber Ale. Much better than say, a JS Amber. Most of BrewDogs base range (Punk, 5AM, Hardcore, 77) are very good, especially for it's price. Can get a case of Punk for less than a case of Matilda Bay Alpha.

@BSA5, with the Sierra Nevada stuff, you have to remember that SN is pretty much the LC of the US. The first really big Craft brewery that took of nation wide. It's very much a gateway, introduction to craft style beer. It's gonna be solid without being anything memorable.

5AM Saint, absolutely brilliant. I wish I bought more than one bottle. One of the best Amber Ales I've had, that is for sure. Smells awesome, tastes even better. I was super impressed.

Now I'm drinking a Monteith's Doppelbock Winter Ale. My local is selling it for $15 a 6-pack. Bargain!

5AM Saint is a classy Amber Ale. Much better than say, a JS Amber. Most of BrewDogs base range (Punk, 5AM, Hardcore, 77) are very good, especially for it's price. Can get a case of Punk for less than a case of Matilda Bay Alpha

BrewDog gets a bit of hate sometimes, and I really don't get it. I guess their branding can grate a bit. Hardcore IPA is a brilliant IPA, and Punk is a decent little brother to it. 5AM Saint is quality as well. Haven't tried the 77 Lager though. Their Tokyo Stout is fantastic. I mean, considering it's 18.2%. Not worth the price for more than the odd occasion though.

@BSA5, with the Sierra Nevada stuff, you have to remember that SN is pretty much the LC of the US. The first really big Craft brewery that took of nation wide. It's very much a gateway, introduction to craft style beer. It's gonna be solid without being anything memorable.

Yeah, I'd just read a bit about the Torpedo IPA and got excited though. While perhaps a "gateway" craft brewery as you say, they've got a phenomenal reputation. Their pale ale is LCPA-standard at least, and the Kellerweis is fantastic as well, and I guess in terms of balance the Torpedo IPA is spot-on, but it just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

Most BrewDog hate comes from the US beer communities, where the only things that get praise are new and crazy styles (Black IPA), the sourest of sours (Cantillon: Blabaer especially, RR Sour range), huge IPAs or anything Barrel Aged.

BrewDog fit into none of those.

Plus I dont think Americans like their arrogance, and they don't understand the UK beer scene, where BrewDog is the equivalent of what Stone did in the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back