Favourite / Best Goal

Remove this Banner Ad

BK Eaglesfan

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
OK, so it's been a long and generally miserable season....and thoughts have perhaps drifted to better days.

What is your favourite Eagles goal of all time, or just the one you may think is the out and out best?

For me, it is one of Matera's goals in the 92' GF. Second quarter and a pack developed, looked for all intents and purposes like a ball up coming. Matera somehow extracted the ball, backed up and out of the pack, showed the ball to a couple of Geelong players, dodged and ran forward a few metres before putting it through from about 50. My all time favourite goal. Perhaps no the best, but I just love it.

Expect I'll see the words smother / handball / shepherd 2006 get a run in here too. :thumbsu:

I could name heaps,
Wilsons Cork in the ocean.
Matera's Long bomb (and the Eagles Hit the Front)
Chick/Hunters Smother, Shepperd, Goal
and in the light of Armys delisting - Amstrong Steps up
1 of many Judd break away from the centre then goal from the 50.

But my Fav seeing as you took materas I will say:
Round 22 2007 against stkilda at TD, Mark LeCras: we were up by 2 points with less then a minute, Saints were coming at us.
Tap from cox to kerr, hand pass to cousins who knocks it on to priddis who passes it out to LeCras who breaks a Hayes tackle then runs forward to the 50 and LeCras Shuts the door. :thumbsu:

OK, so it's been a long and generally miserable season....and thoughts have perhaps drifted to better days.

What is your favourite Eagles goal of all time, or just the one you may think is the out and out best?

For me, it is one of Matera's goals in the 92' GF. Second quarter and a pack developed, looked for all intents and purposes like a ball up coming. Matera somehow extracted the ball, backed up and out of the pack, showed the ball to a couple of Geelong players, dodged and ran forward a few metres before putting it through from about 50. My all time favourite goal. Perhaps no the best, but I just love it.

Expect I'll see the words smother / handball / shepherd 2006 get a run in here too. :thumbsu:

would be my favourite just becasue of the time when it happened can still remember me and my mates chanting CHICKYS A LEGEND ' clap clap' CHICKYS A LEGEND

i also love Hansens and Merendas goal as well as Kerr running the whole ground and bang from 50. we have had some great goals.

do you remember a young cousins teaming up with matera in the middle of the ground to set up a brillant goal????

and you cant forget cousins vs the dogs in the 2006 semi final, teaming up with Kerr i think BEAUTIFUL

Just because the topic has now got me thinking......

Rd 22 2006 against Richmond from memory, the quintessential Judd goal. Tapped down his throat in the middle, he broke away towards the Punt Road end and slotted it from distance. The whole setup and play just made footy like the simplest game.

how ****ing awesome was cuzzy and kerry's 1-2-3 handball training drill with cuz drilling it from the boundary against the dogs in the 06 semi.

also cousins' goal in the prelim a week later in the 3rd qtr. from that point i knew we would win.

Kerry's goal of the year in 2003 was one of the best goals I have seen. Literally ran from the opposite side of the oval from one wing to another and from half back to our 50m mark before launching it for a goal. 5 bounces IIRC. In a derby as well. Truely awesome effort.

All of the above with a special mention for Army's Grand Final goal because you sort knew / hoped that had sealed it.

For sheer outrageousness, Wirra's goal, actually two from when he look like he had been slung out of play; Sampi's bouncing bomb in a preliminary final at Subi in 2005 (?) from deep in the pocket, and Judd's goal against Doggies at Subiaco in 2007 when he was near goal, slung around 360 in a tackle and still managed to get the ball on his boot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kerry's goal of the year in 2003 was one of the best goals I have seen. Literally ran from the opposite side of the oval from one wing to another and from half back to our 50m mark before launching it for a goal. 5 bounces IIRC. In a derby as well. Truely awesome effort.

Thats my favourite does anyone have vision of it at all would love to see that again?

Also Mark Merenda kicked a very good goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnuQ6PzIJeo

In terms of memories mine would go like this:

"CHICK"

"HUNTER"

(roar of the crowd)

everytime I see this I get butterflies

the best would maybe be Cousins and Kerrs 1-2-3 though, that was just brilliance
I was there too which made it even better

Any of you remember that goal from Sampi against the Roos to seal the game? That lovely right hand pickup from a muddy pack and to drill the goal from his left from 50m out, what a goal!

Ah, Sampi, if you werent fat..

Dunno if anyone remembers but in 1999 Plugger was going for his record breaking goal against us and it was a cracking game!

Anyway it was under a goal in it the whole last quarter then the ball spilled out to Peter Matera who slammed it on his left boot and the ball did an inside out torpedo thing that spun straight through the middle!

It was unreal!

I remember at the time almost jumping through my roof as it sailed through coz it won us the game.

and on another note it was an awesome effort my Ash McIntosh to keep plugger under the record :thumbsu:

Any of you remember that goal from Sampi against the Roos to seal the game? That lovely right hand pickup from a muddy pack and to drill the goal from his left from 50m out, what a goal!

Ah, Sampi, if you werent fat..

That goal was so awesome!! Showed how skilled he was.

It is dissapointing to think he wasted all that talent :( He could have been anything that guy.

Dont know if anyone will remember this one but in the 1991 Preliminary Final Vs Geelong out at Waverley it was so wet and wild that day. We led Geelong all day but they started coming back in the final term and got within a goal but then Chris Lewis did this little tap into the path of big Suma who threw a boot at it from about 30m out and it skidded, bumbled, bounced and slid through for a goal!!

Suma kicked 6 goals that day and that goal put the game to bed and put us into our first AFL Grand Final!!

I was a Massive Suma fan and was so pumped then!! I was like 10 and going totally skitzzzzzz :D:D Suma was a LEGEND!!!!!

Sampi, Sampi SAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMPIIIIIIIIIII!!!! Eagles v Sydney 1st final 05.

Dammit Sampi why couldnt you be focussed. We needed you! Damn 1 of my favourite players too :eek:

Loved all of the ones mentioned.

Also; "It's a big kick, it's a thunderous kick, it's a goal!"

yes! one of my all time favs. any embley bombs are great.

and a rojo goal is always good for comedic and scoreboard value.

anyone remember in that round 10 2006 comeback against geelong, rojo kicked one from the boundary line? or the goal later that year against brisbane next to the point post? or the point against adelaide with 5 minutes to go in the prelim?

ah so memorable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back