Remove this Banner Ad

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Im dreading having my grand final experience almost destroyed again by the incessant hairbrained waffling of the likes of Luke Darcy, Bruce MacIvaney, Brian Taylor and fellow f*ckwits, and listening to the great job ABC did commentating the WAFL grand final on Sunday with clear, unbiased and insightful calling has got me thinking that I might make a habit of tuning in to them more often. The likes of Corbin Middlemas (Just 21 years old I heard), Dan Lonergan, Drew Morphatt and Glen Mitchell (retired) absolutely put all the channel 7 big heads to shame. No lie detectors. No put on deep voices (Luke Darcy). No bias (Luke Darcy). No dickhead expressions (BT and BM). No incompetence (Watson) and no Tom Harley full stop.

ABC do a great job of the cricket too. Kerry OKeefe, Harsha Bohgle, Jim Maxwell, Geoff Lawson, Terry Alderman. Dont mind the bowlologist in small doses either.

Sky sports for the cricket go ok. Bumble, Hussein, Athers and Botham on occasions.

And of course theres Richie Benaud. Unfortunetly surrounded by the likes of Nicholson, Slats and Healy these days.

Just wondering who are peoples faves out there.

And least faves.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-05/kerry-okeeffe-is-dared-to-eat-a-chilli/3759720

I was a fan of BT & James Brayshaw when they commentated games on Channel 9 because they didn't take themselves seriously.

Then Channel 7 decided guys like BT belong in their A Team. And that team is now 6 people. WTF. :eek:

There are too many ex-players in the media who are there because they are ex-players and not because they are any good at calling or commenting on the game. Nathan Buckley has about as much charisma as a box of raisins but when he worked for Channel 7 his half time analysis actually added something to the telecast because he analyses the game well.

I recommend non-soccer fans watch some EPL on Foxtel for the sake of comparison. More often than not you might have one, perhaps two commentators calling the game then nothing at half time except the stats and some highlights with no voiceover (due to the feed Fox pick up from the UK). For the bigger games you get the same with Robbie Slater & Mark Bosnich crapping on before and after the game and at half time. Do they really add that much to your sport watching experience?

Watching footy in eerie silence isn't much fun but if Channel 7/Fox offered a 'ground sounds only with no commentary' option I'd definitely take it up.

I was a fan of BT & James Brayshaw when they commentated games on Channel 9 because they didn't take themselves seriously.

Then Channel 7 decided guys like BT belong in their A Team. And that team is now 6 people. WTF. :eek:

There are too many ex-players in the media who are there because they are ex-players and not because they are any good at calling or commenting on the game. Nathan Buckley has about as much charisma as a box of raisins but when he worked for Channel 7 his half time analysis actually added something to the telecast because he analyses the game well.

I recommend non-soccer fans watch some EPL on Foxtel for the sake of comparison. More often than not you might have one, perhaps two commentators calling the game then nothing at half time except the stats and some highlights with no voiceover (due to the feed Fox pick up from the UK). For the bigger games you get the same with Robbie Slater & Mark Bosnich crapping on before and after the game and at half time. Do they really add that much to your sport watching experience?

Watching footy in eerie silence isn't much fun but if Channel 7/Fox offered a 'ground sounds only with no commentary' option I'd definitely take it up.
Bosnich, Slater and Adam Peacock have great chemistry, they work very well together.

Slater and Bosnic also know what they're talking about.

Personalities aside it would be nice to have at least one commentator not crapping about whatever statisical category has just been put in front of them.

I don't give a * if Sam Mitchell has had more 'pressure acts' than Dane Swan but Swan has had more 'contested possessions' and 'score involvements'. FFS I can look up stats on the web, you're at the game and being paid to analyse it - is it too much to ask that you give your opinion on who has had more influence on the game you are supposedly watching?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest problem with AFL is the *in number of them. I think Channel 7 sometimes have 6! Ridiculous, they're obviously gonna be competing to be heard and we have to suffer thru it.

Premier League works because it's the exact opposite of this. 1 commentator and 1 pundit. That's it. It's all you need. Can understand with footy you might want 2 commentators, so 3 people should be the limit. Not 10 FFS.

Martin Tyler

Probably my favourite ever commentator.

Perhaps the AFL should go down the European Football path..... They don't call every single detail like the AFL does, they keep it simple and we can see what is going visually and don't really need comms to fill everything in for us.

Could you imagine the EPL with AFL style commentating?

"Gerrard has time and space on the ball just inside his own half, he looks to pick out Henderson 5ft away with a searing sidefooter, who plays it first time to his right finding Downing who slips slightly. Liverpool lose possesion and Evra cuts it off who has time to look around and assess his options...."

When they'd realistically call it like "Gerrard. To Henderson.... his first time ball to Downing is cut off by Evra....."

I agree with the ex-players section too. Yeah, it's a nice sentiment having ex-players doing some of the interviewing, but a majority of the time the interviews come across contrived and awkward. If they're hellbent on getting ex-players in there, they should do a 2-3 years somewhere to learn the trade rather than throwing them in the deep end straight out of retirement.

Could you imagine the EPL with AFL style commentating?

"Gerrard has time and space on the ball just inside his own half, he looks to pick out Henderson 5ft away with a searing sidefooter, who plays it first time to his right finding Downing who slips slightly. Liverpool lose possesion and Evra cuts it off who has time to look around and assess his options...."

It would be more like.....

Play By Play Man: Gerrard
"Special" Comments: Gee he needs to look for his options here
(As the pass is made)
Other "Special" Comments: They are passing the ball at 65% efficiency so they need to start looking for the short balls right now
(another pass made)
"Special Comments": This is smart play trying to break up the zone
Other "Special" Comments: Well with x minutes left in the half they'll be content to go in at this margin (2 passes made) but I'm sure they'll love to get another goal before the whistle
"Special" Comments: He's off on a run now
PBP: Evra
"Special" Comments: Nothing really ahead once again.
PBP: Let's go down to our boundary rider
Boundary Rider: *rehashes what the 2 "special" comments men have said in other words".

and on it goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back