Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Off-season strange content warning…

The thread for listing your favourite Melbourne players who you have always liked but for slightly odd reasons. So here goes:

Dean Kent - appeared first in games that I don’t want to recall, but he showed a bit of grunt, pressure, and some speed. Good kick of a running goal. It’s a shame that multiple injuries have meant that he will likely not reach the peak that I originally believed he had in him. Also has nice dark eyelashes framing his blue eyes which looks nice.

Stefan Martin - I sort of fancied him back in the day.

Rohan Bail - I like him but have never really known why.

Luke Tapscott - honestly a talent in my opinion but his body got in the way of his developing into a player.

Lynden Dunn - the first of the comedy moustache look. Also looked inches away from starting a brawl pretty frequently. Tapscott too had this vibe. Love his growling and hurling bits of grass at the kicker when manning the mark. Hilarious stuff.

James Harmes - I’ve met him a few times and he is exactly like how he was in the G&G podcast. Not the sharpest tool by any criteria but really funny and hyper but in an endearing manner.

Clayton Oliver - okay so he’s a common favourite but I liked him in a creepy, maternal way since before I had seen him play. I think the reason was people on the board being nervous about our drafting of him. I think it was schmuttt who said something like “does anyone else have a bad feeling about this” after he was drafted so I made him my boy sight unseen. Still is my favourite but his talent has caught up with and exceeded my projections.

Sam Weideman - looks like the type of guy that could be introduced to his girlfriend’s Mum with okay results. Would probably volunteer for passing around the canapes while the BBQ heats up. Also looks a bit like a friendly vampire.

Who are your players you like for weird reasons and what are those reasons?

I liked Stefan Martin because he scored something like 99.75 (top 40 in Victoria) on his vce and was doing a double degree in science/law. Was proud of having such a smart person on the list. Surprised he didn't miss any games due to study, I wouldn't blame him we were terrible at the time. Also found out recently he is best mates with Gawn so he must be a great bloke. I also like the fact his name is Stefan, sounds like the perfect Melbourne football club name, up there with Percy Beams or Albert Chadwick. To bad or twitchy boy got rid of him.

I also really liked Martin. I've liked pretty much all of our rucks, including Spencil and Fitzpatrick. I play ruck in 29th div so feel a kind of affinity with them through that. Usually not that sharp (SME the notable exception) but big hearted and easy to love as cult figures.

I really liked Petterd too. Broke my heart with that dropped mark in 2010 v the Pies, but thought he was a decent player. My non-Dees following mates also liked him because they lived in a sharehouse on Petterd St.

Bail and M Jones I liked as apparently friendly, honest battler types.

I also really liked Martin. I've liked pretty much all of our rucks, including Spencil and Fitzpatrick. I play ruck in 29th div so feel a kind of affinity with them through that. Usually not that sharp (SME the notable exception) but big hearted and easy to love as cult figures.

I really liked Petterd too. Broke my heart with that dropped mark in 2010 v the Pies, but thought he was a decent player. My non-Dees following mates also liked him because they lived in a sharehouse on Petterd St.

Bail and M Jones I liked as apparently friendly, honest battler types.
Petterd is a good shout. I remember one enjoyable afternoon at the G where he and Jurrah bagged about four each in a big win over Port.

Yeah a lot of those players from the bailey/neeld years simply wrong team wrong time. Matt Jones is another that must be good mates with Gawn. He played in a premiership with south Croydon and apparently Gawn was there to support him.

Yeah a lot of those players from the bailey/neeld years simply wrong team wrong time. Matt Jones is another that must be good mates with Gawn. He played in a premiership with south Croydon and apparently Gawn was there to support him.
They used to have a carpentry business together too, but I think it’s just Matt Jones these days. I’m always keen to use some of these player businesses at some stage. If I win a lottery I will get some shelving and tables from M Jones, get Bailey Fritsch electrical to do the lighting, all in a house sold to me by Bernie Vince while importing Langdon green coffee beans and wearing Kolodjashnij natural mosquito deterrent

Last edited:
They used to have a carpentry business together too, but I think it’s just Matt Jones these days. I’m always keen to use some of these player businesses at some stage. If I win I will get some shelving and tables from M Jones, get Bailey Fritsch electrical to do the lighting, all in a house sold to me by Bernie Vince while importing Langdon green coffee beans and wearing Kolodjashnij natural mosquito deterrent
Thank god you're not a Collingwood supporter or you'd have a house full of Dayne Beams' furniture... :sick:

I like Matthew Bate because I smoked DMT one time and them machine elves fell out of my brain and we had a good ol' yarn about human consciousness, the illusion of time, reality, ego, and other such nonsense and I reckon that's something we both have in common. I love that spiritual metaphysical bullshit!

Speaking of things in common, Jack Watts- talented, lazy, good looking, Sandringham, and I love **** (owls, sparrows, and other birds too fwiw).

Toumpas is my spirit animal.

There's more I'm sure.

Bernie Vince because he is from Stansbury, its also the location of my families shack.

Watts for me for two reasons - swimming and ****.

Good bloke who saw the industry for what it was after having the romance beaten out of him with no support in his first game. Hustled on the side and made his hype work for him off the field. There was a lot of talk when he went to Port - but if you own a Tshirt brand that makes you way more money than playing footy - I don't blame him for passing it in and retiring.

I always respected the fact he treated fans and those who looked up to him with respect, and understood the power he had during fan interactions.

Always a big James Strauss fan. Maybe it was the broken leg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a kid I always wore the number 8 jumper - Graeme Yeats

NFI why tbh

As a kid my grandparents lived next door to John Northys dad in Ballarat. He would always get me Melbourne gear and for some reason I always wanted Yeatsy stuff

Oh I really like that Shannon Byrnes guy who might be our runner? I like him because I read here that some opposition player was sledging Neeld during a game and Shannon joined in :$

Oh I really like that Shannon Byrnes guy who might be our runner? I like him because I read here that some opposition player was sledging Neeld during a game and Shannon joined in :$
I love him now

I really liked Nathan Brown back in the day, even if we were having an off day that guy would never quit and always gave his all. So bloody consistent. It stood out so much to me at the time but he never got much recognition.

I really liked Nathan Brown back in the day, even if we were having an off day that guy would never quit and always gave his all. So bloody consistent. It stood out so much to me at the time but he never got much recognition.

He absolutely loved a goal as well. Didn't kick a lot but used to go crazy when he got one.

Unlike the other Nathan Brown, who is a mercenary campaigner

Ed Langdon. Not just because he runs all day and gives it his all. More so because he just doesn't seem to GAF about what anyone thinks of him, he is different and it works for him.

Edit: ok so it's not really an unusual reason but I don't care. Ed is a legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back